Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm new, but i had a great idea dealing with 445 goggles

I was referring to the ones in post 57, but was also being a smartass

Doing a good job so far, LOL.

I like my blues and greens. If I was into the red spectrum I would have got the LM7s. We did a group buy and got ~28% knocked of the price. :D

You think another GB could be in the future? I need to get another good pair as I only have 1 now plus 2 pairs of the WL shades "That almost don't count"
bronze_cup.gif

IsaacT

lol....where do yall get all these crazy smileys? I know they rnt on the smiley option box so who's ass are yall pullin em out of? :thinking:

IsaacT

Baller! Thanks! But some of them don't work....why is that?

From Smiley page Right click and copy image URL. In message window select insert image and paste url.
welcome.gif

A Note on the ML7 goggles: I find them quite dark, and the OD's are pretty low, 2.5 for 532nm and 1.5 for the red. That good up to 300mW green and 30mW red. There's no protection against 445nm and unknown for 405nm.

But if anyone really loves them, I consider selling mine, I only used it 2 or 3 times for a few minutes.

OD 2 will take 1W down to ~10mW. So your figures are a little of.

chart-ml7.gif

By the graph they do give you some protection.

DrSid

Aren't such glasses pretty dark ? Can you see anything at all ?

There are positives and negatives with all goggles. Obviously broadband goggles need to have multiple dyes to defend against the wavelengths they protect. Thats why I got the goggles to suit my needs.

OD 2 will take 1W down to ~10mW. So your figures are a little of.

chart-ml7.gif

By the graph they do give you some protection.

True, and OD 2.5 will take 300mW of 532nm down to 1mW.

In my (short) experience the 405 blocking is reasonable, but I have no idea how much, also because diode themselves can vary in wavelength. I wouldn't count on 445, for example my diode was 448nm and on such a slippery slope that may just proves barely any protection. But above all, they're not rated for it, so there's no guarantee of anything.

Last edited:

IsaacT

lol, this whole thread has been about pursuing the unrated not guaranteed products lol

LSRFAQ

I know. Seems silly to me, but everyone is different. I'm all into the cheap way out, just not with my eyes.

Tech_Junkie is correct.

Why anyone would trust their vision to a gel is beyond me. One of the considerations here should be the not so subtle, implied, fact that when you publish a gel design, someone may get the idea that your "published plans" a for OD3 or OD6 are safe.

That person then makes a pair of goggles, then they get a laser that self Q-switches, or use your idea in a lab that has a low average power, but high peak power, laser, then the Gel bleaches in about 300 nanoseconds, the light passes through, and then the dye unbleaches back to normal. Yes folks, dyes can bleach and snap back at high power levels.

You folks who do not see the implications of your "FREE WILL" attitude should leave the safety gear design to physicists, engineers, and chemists who understand the damage mechanisms of dyes in plastic hosts.

You have NO CLUE about the testing required, its more then a few seconds of exposure, its more then a spectrophotometer shot.

if you think a DPSS pointer can't self Q Switch, I have news for you. The first green pointers produced the high fields required for doubling with the early, crude, low cost, KTP by SELF Q-SWITCHING. I have photos of the thing running some place.

A flaky coating on the cavity inside a pointer can cause self Q-switching, as can a oscillating driver.

Very high peak powers can be generated in a malfunctioning laser, and its the peak that matters, not the CW.

Most people who will want Gel based goggles will not own a NIST TRACEABLE power meter with enough resolution to do the required measurements. I assure you Gels come from the lowest bidder plant, and no two batches are remotely the same. I started out in laser shows, and we hung enough gels to know that most fade in a few months of use, and blues fade to clear very fast, on the order of weeks in a conventional theatre light.

What happens when the Chinese find its cheaper to stack gels then run a injection mold, sell the damn things on fleabay, and innocent people will get hurt?

LISTEN TO A OLD FART WHO HAS BEEN DOING THIS FOR 20+ YEARS NOW, GELS HAVE HIDDEN PITFALLS YOU ARE NOT AWARE OF. YOU CANNOT MORALLY ADVOCATE A GEL BASED GOGGLE.

We are our brothers keeper, and I will see to it that ANY attempt to publish such a design on this thread or elsewhere will see the attention of MODS or Coldshadow.

I have the professional credentials to back that up.

Steve