Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I Never Should Have Logged On...

GregH

Originally, all I was looking for was a recommendation for a laser pointer to use in presentations. Maybe even getting one which could control PowerPoint and the mouse cursor while I'm speaking to a group.

After reading the FAQ, company reviews, many of the tutorials, experiments, and mods I realize that I never should have logged on...

I won't be able to stop with just a presentation laser! I've already decided on a Keyspan Presentation Pro but it has a lowly red laser. I'm going to mod it to use a green laser instead. All done, right? Not so fast.

The videos of the spirographs, the tunnels, the shows, the beams! :drool:
Oh, man, I think I'm being drawn into the obsession...

I have a serviceable understanding of electronics and can solder pretty well. My latest kit was an XTB-IIR by Jeff Volp which is used to boost X10 signals - I have a lot of lights controlled by X10 scripts. Anyway, lasers just seems like a logical next step.

I'll see you around the board,
Greg

ZRTMWA

Sounds like you've been earching around! Always nice to have more laser enthusiasts.

Welcome! Always good to see someone new.. There's crazy amounts of information here, and if you want some really great resources to help you gain a technical understanding of lasers and how they work, check the links in my signature below..

I've found very few hobbies that are as rewarding as lasers can be. They offer lots of opportunity for DIY skills, and not much in life feels as good as building something yourself and then watching it work the way you intended it to.. (or watching it blow up which is always fun too)

Enjoy!

I think that most of us have felt like you at one time or another...........rob

it gets worse..
next thing ya know, your picking what color you want to take that day.

Happens

Welcome to the forum
:wave:

Welcome !! Laser actually seems to stand for "Laser Acquisition Syndrome Eliminates Restraint" or something similar ... I logged on here a couple of years ago and now I have about 50 lasers, still need more. Very engaging hobby, just remember to budget for laser safety, such as goggles appropriate for any high-powered lasers that you acquire.

L.A.S.E.R. is a serious medical syndrome whose most obvious syptoms are a thinning of the wallet and a whole bunch of lasers, laser parts, optics, batteries, electronics. and all sorts of related stuff cluttering up the house.

GregH

Thanks for the welcome, y'all. My wife came into the room and asked what I was doing on the net. I told her I was reading the FAQ on Laser Pointer Forums and how I'm planning to mod the presentation pointer to a green laser.
She took a deep breath, rolled her eyes, and walked out of the room. I could hear her muttering down the hallway "I wonder how much this will cost us..." :tinfoil:

GregH --- Everything!! -- Mike

My wife of 25 years accepts my science now !!!!

Last edited:
Welcome, Greg. Enjoy the forums!

Mike - My wife of 6 years was disappointed that the diode blew on the blu-ray I was making for her.

These little devices sure are intersting. And purdy.