Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I disagree with how the forum Reputation system works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear arguments for the current rep system but nobody addressing the points I made with information that counters it's negative result. Morgan mentioned my personal rep as being excessively high compared to my post count, but he ignores the fact that the only neg rep given to me was obviously harassment rep given by two constant abusers of the system, one of which has essentially gone away after being admonished for it, and the other is on a very short leash because of it. Yet those those two's harassment rep is allowed to stay on my page, referring to nothing written here by me. And the appreciated pos rep that countered it was only gotten after I complained about it, probably pissing more people off in the process.

But like I said above, this thread isn't about any one personal situation but the problems with the rep system in general. Someone could easily be popular and get pos rep from lots of newcomers, then make one comment that gets his rep negated by one vindictive member with "weight" to throw around and many times that "weight" is with a minor member here strictly against the terms of use and often for immature reasons (one of the reasons minors shouldn't be here, but that's another topic). That member's rep amongst many people shouldn't be wiped out by the callous comment of a single person. There's no reason for that unfair influence on how everyone views their rep from that point forward. Again, that situation is just plain wrong.

i might be a narcisist but i feel my opinion on this is the most valid... the ppl with the hights rep points earned it from their peers... they didn't beg for it (as a matter of fact beggers get neg repped), and they certainly didn't do it over night. this is a laser forum, if you are worried about getting neg repped then don't do or say controversial things.... i have been here for 2 years and i have never been neg repped. food for thought.

i see eidict chimed in... i will use him as an example of an earlier statement from page one.... just because a member is new doesn't make their opinion not respected. I think the whole forum values eidicts opinion.

michael

Last edited:
The rep system also seems to balance it's self out with time...
Just look at shawnk1994's rep when he started this Thread....
(-21)

Now... since he read what was posted he has made an effort to
correct what caused the neg reps and is now at (+123)...

I think the Non-Perfect LPF Rep System works just fine....IMO..:cool:

@ C0ld.... I almost left you a Neg just to prove your Point...:evil:

Jerry

What are you referring to here?!? How do you get those numbers for Shawnk1994's rep?

DJNY

What are you referring to here?!? How do you get those numbers for Shawnk1994's rep?

You aren´t up-to date - time changed :p
Rep points: Member --> Reputation --> (+/-)xxx point(s) total

Shawnk1994 is an ok guy + he bought a nice laser this week :whistle:

Razako

Personally I like the rep system because it's sort of like an ebay feedback system for buying and selling here. The main problem comes from people who give out -rep just because you said something in a thread that offended them or that they don't agree with. -Rep should only be given when a member does something that's blatantly unacceptable. Giving negative rep just because someone has a different opinion on Animal cruelty or Barack Obama isn't how the system is meant to work.

IMO Negative rep should be given out for scamming, spamming, clear trolling and sometimes posting really bad safety advice.

well, sometimes it is ok to give neg rep for non seller related stuff.,

Captain dan got neg repped for making a photoshopped pic of pointing a laser at his face.... although in his case i disagree with the neg rep be cause he acted promptly and removed the pic.

michael.

You aren´t up-to date - time changed :p
Rep points: Member --> Reputation --> (+/-)xxx point(s) total

Shawnk1994 is an ok guy + he bought a nice laser this week :whistle:

I still don't see how one gets +123 from a rep power of 2.

Razako

Btw this system is MUCH better than the old one this forum once had. In that one you could only leave 1 rep point no matter what, you could +rep yourself once a week using a forum glitch and everybody joined together to get villageidiot to 100rep.

i see some confusion with eidict.... rep power for shawnk is 2 while his rep points are 123... rep power and rep points are completely different. so with shawnk's rep power of 2, he can only leave you a total of 2 rep points which will go towards your rep points, not your "rep power".

michael

Last edited:

DJNY

I still don't see how one gets +123 from a rep power of 2.

You should read the "how the rep-system work" threads if you´re interested in the answer to your question. The threads are there that not everyone comes here and asks the same questions again and again. The SEARCH button is going to help you in 99.9% of your laser related questions.

i see eidict chimed in... i will use him as an example of an earlier statement from page one.... just because a member is new doesn't make their opinion not respected. I think the whole forum values eidicts opinion.

michael

Do you mean me here? If so, I certainly wouldn't say "the whole" forum. Certainly not the vocal "elite". Perhaps those do who value thinking and speaking "outside the box".

Morgan

Morgan mentioned my personal rep as being excessively high compared to my post count, but he ignores the fact that the only neg rep given to me was obviously harassment rep given by two constant abusers of the system, one of which has essentially gone away after being admonished for it, and the other is on a very short leash because of it.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I didn't ignore anything and when I said this -

"Eidetic brings up the point about a photonic technician having limited post count but much to contribute. This is recognised already and rep is apportioned accordingly. (I actually think at 5 rep points for only just over 100 posts your rep count is reflective of that Eidetic.) Take LRSFAQ for instance; low post count but his contribution and knowledge is measured by a proportionally higher rep count."

- I was making the point that even though you have had rep deducted, your contribution, (and rep), can still be deemed to be high as you have gain 5 points in just over 100 posts. That, IMHO, is a thing to be proud of and I was certainly not claiming it to be, 'excessive', merely indicative of your worthy posting.

M
:)

ICU

My encounters with the rep system so far have been giving positive feedback for assistance, great information or accomplishments.

I'm mostly here reading and learning (at this point in time), I do post when I think I can add some value or have a question about something.

But I did notice that I was negative rep'd by a new member who seems to enjoy giving them out to people.
I strongly believe that you are somewhat retarded, sorry for using such language.
I don't believe this is how the reputation system should be used.

daguin

But I did notice that I was negative rep'd by a new member who seems to enjoy giving them out to people.
I don't believe this is how the reputation system should be used.

Did you also notice that the comment was preceded by a gray square? That means that no points were deducted from your reputation.
As a "new member" with no "rep power" yet, his neg rep cost you nothing.
That's why the "rep power" restrictions for posting exist

All you have is that an immature person called you a name. :na:
Hardly seems worth experiencing any angst over :bday:

Peace,
dave

Ash

I think it's abused sometimes.
diachi -Repped me for giving a +Rep to someone he doesn't like. :wtf:
But, oh well. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.