Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I didnt believe it, till I saw it. Submerged PC.

Benm

I hope for everyones sake nobody is actually considering submerging a computer in water. I really dont see it happening but you never know.

I bet it can be done as a proof of concept. I'd rather not put the power supply under water, but a mainboard sounds doable to me. If you were to rinse it with water several times to get rid of anything soluble, and immerse it after that, i suppose it will actually run for a while - as long as you manage to keep CO2 out.

Eventually it will fry however: The small conductiviy of the water will give some electrochemical reactions that are likely to dissolve metals in contact with the water. Those metals dissolve as salts, increasing conductivity, making things worse.

I honestly have no idea how long it would take for this process to cause a fatal error that halts the system - could be minutes, could be days.

Never use water only use mineral oil or if you want to have a smelly machine use vegetable oil.

KiLLrB

I bet it can be done as a proof of concept. I'd rather not put the power supply under water, but a mainboard sounds doable to me. If you were to rinse it with water several times to get rid of anything soluble, and immerse it after that, i suppose it will actually run for a while - as long as you manage to keep CO2 out.

Eventually it will fry however: The small conductiviy of the water will give some electrochemical reactions that are likely to dissolve metals in contact with the water. Those metals dissolve as salts, increasing conductivity, making things worse.

I honestly have no idea how long it would take for this process to cause a fatal error that halts the system - could be minutes, could be days.

Dont think the processor would like it. I would be willing to bet my left testicle it wouldnt make it to the windows load screen.

Benm

I wouldn't bet your gnads on that really ;)

If i find an old mainboard that can be sacrificed for the experiment i'll post the result - and hope it wont boot for you :D

KiLLrB

I wouldn't bet your gnads on that really ;)

If i find an old mainboard that can be sacrificed for the experiment i'll post the result - and hope it wont boot for you :D

you're on but lets say 5 bux paypal shall we? (No testicles involved) and do it on ustream live so it can be witnessed... You up for the challenge?

Benm

Oh, i'm up for it just for the fun of the demonstration, without any bets involved ;)

Problem is that i have to find an old system that still works when dry, so there is something to compare to. I might have an old pc in storage that still boots, gotta check on that.

KiLLrB

Oh, i'm up for it just for the fun of the demonstration, without any bets involved ;)

Problem is that i have to find an old system that still works when dry, so there is something to compare to. I might have an old pc in storage that still boots, gotta check on that.

Sounds good man. Just make sure you have a fire extinguisher and someone with a cell phone with 9-1 dialed waiting to press 1 just in case :crackup:

Huh? condensation forms on cold parts. That's why your beer can sweats in the summer. Water from the air is inherently very low in solubles.

Pure water does not stay pure for long. A surface it's sitting on will generally be partially soluble. Even carbon dioxide from the air dissolves in the water and forms carbonic acid and H+ ions (as ben already mentioned I see)

No, because it will still be hotter than just about everything else. If the water must condense, it will do it on the coldest surfaces first.

Alcohol cleans oil well, but would it damage components?

Thanks. I had no idea what I was thinking that day. Lack of sleep makes me delusional sometimes, must have been back to back 15 hour shifts that week, lol.

PS: woo hoo 300th post. Wow

Lawl @ marketing from the cooling apparatus site: "...to extend the life of your CPU"

Firstly, how often do those things die? Secondly, doesn't everyone replace them with better ones LONG before they die? Lastly, even if it did lengthen life, and you needed that extra life, how many replacement CPUs could you buy for $800 instead?

Benm

Extending the life of a cpu running on its rated speed is complete nonsense. Even when overclocking the result is dubious. Even if you fry a processor in a year, after that year the replacement is likely to be cheaper than any sophisticated cooling equipment would have cost to begin with.

Extending the life of a cpu running on its rated speed is complete nonsense. Even when overclocking the result is dubious. Even if you fry a processor in a year, after that year the replacement is likely to be cheaper than any sophisticated cooling equipment would have cost to begin with.

Haha much like cell phones. Outdated as soon as you buy it

Benm

Indeed... if you achieve a very good overclocking result, like 25% above rated speed. chances are there will be a processor rated for that 25% extra before you even get to brag about it and get noticed.

i don't know i think getting my 3.3ghz to 6.12 was godly.
There to this day is not one close to that speed.
*Warning never overclock to this degree unless you have already said goodbye to your processor, or have a phase change cooling system*

Benm

i've seen setups with liquid nitrogen cooling... performance on this is impressive, but it just isnt very practical.

It does make me wonder about how fast you can run a system submerged in ln2 though... and it would require a darn big dewar to figure that out ;p

jbtm

Ah yes...Mineral oil :) I bought like 5 gallons of this stuff to insulate 45,000 volts. Stuff works like a charm. Nearly any oil will not conduct electricity once its boiled (some oils) and vacuum sucked. Linseed oil (boiled), vegetable oil, mineral oil, Castro oil...Also provides great cooling :) Pole transformers for example, can have mineral oil and paper insulation between the transformers coils...The paper soaks the oil, providing great insulation. Seems odd because you'd think it would conduct...But it doesn't :)