Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How would you react if the reputation system is removed on LPF?

How would you react if the reputation system is removed on LPF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right Bowtie, and that makes me not want to bother with it, until someone helpful deserves a rep, but alas I can't.

Maybe lower the total number that can be given in a day to 3 but also lower the number between repeats.

As it is right now it's terrible, it makes the whole thing worthless. A ton of pats on the back for one deserved rep is not going to help people identify knowledgeable people.

Why not just put it back, because everyone is not going to agree 100% on changes, let's compromise.

Last edited:
Reactions: ped

I say we double your rep on your birthday, except IE. I would suggest giving me his rep. He's a New York'er anyway so rep means nothing to him...j/k:na:

I don't want to lose the ability to rep, I don't like seeing the posts saying I can't rep someone again either. Can we just make it a forum rule to not use the negative rep function? I don't like being policed but I really don't want to lose something altogether either. I vote lower the restrictions and let the community work out it's own problems. It worked last time. There was an issue with one member, the community banded together and informed said individual that actions taken were not what everyone wanted as a whole. One individual left, the other has stated he/she will change. I think we should remove the restrictions and see what happens. Abusers be punished and leave everyone else to have a good time with the rep system.

I say we double your rep on your birthday, except IE. I would suggest giving me his rep. He's a New York'er anyway so rep means nothing to him...j/k:na:

:crackup:

You caught me! :evil: MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! :eg: :crackup:

20140803_164940_ibeggec_sm.jpg

Not really.

Not truly :p

Last edited:
The way it stands now is simply terrible; I see "everybody and their brother" being repped for for simply responding to posts, or even doing nothing at all, just so members can eventually, someday, give credit to those deserving a +rep.

This is a crucial point.

Rep should have meaning.

That meaning should not have to be defended as a matter of course, but it should exist, whether positive or negative. In an ideal world, everyone should take care to leave rep only for those posts that they find influence them, whether positively or negatively.

Part of what brought this fracas about, was a few members dropping rep for anything and everything, again both positive and negative, AND giving out more rep to meaningless posts just to give more rep to the same members!

That's not ok.

If you gave someone rep, and want to give it again, but that goddamn annoying message pops up... "You must give out more rep before you give to to blah blah blah again" so be it.

Let it go.

If you must, and you remember about it, come back to it a week (or usually a month or so in my case) and then leave it, but don't go repping others, positively or negatively just to gain the ability to do it again.

I'm still in favor of changing the numbers to 1:3 or 1:1.

One rep a day, per person, to use how they see fit, and requiring giving rep to at least 3 other people, and being force to wait 3 days before they can do it again to the same member.

Pman

Lots of good input here but will point out that starting everyone from scratch would just flat out be wrong. If that's an option just get rid of it completely (which I am 100% opposed to).
I think some are also forgetting that this can be a very dangerous hobby and without knowing who you should be able to trust by some kind of indicator anyone can pop in including past disgruntled members and not only annoy but give potentially dangerous advice. If you say we could just go off of how many years someone has been a member that's not going to work as I've seen members who joined way back before me all of a sudden show up again and they have small post and REP counts and are shocked at how so much has changed.
There's no perfect system. There's no perfect you (me) either. It has worked a lot of years with grumbling. So what. Mods should be able to handle anything too over the top. If there are any mods who are barely active that are not helping then they need to step down. If we need a couple more mods to help out then we see who is interested and vote for them. You cant have mods choose mods though. What we don't need is some good ole boys club. We've gone through enough already without that becoming the next issue. You couldn't pay me enough to be a mod (not that it's a paid position anyways).

Last edited:

GSS

I'm in a not feeling well stage again but find myself logging on every morning to give some possible reps so I have the chance to rep someone who went out of their way to help someone or just had a great build post etc. Mind you that im giving them still to posts that are good and educational and even realized how smart members are that I might of pasted over. I find myself doing it all day just logging off and on. Thats insane though! Just please go back to the way it was. Yes it was a good thing that the initial issue was cause of this but all has been mostly amended:(

Last edited:
Two more days until the poll closes. The results of this poll are consistent with the results of the previous poll...

Most people do want a rep system to remain.
Of those, most voted for the old system.

1:3 spread would be a great imo.

ARG

Alright, here's my (long) take on it.

The Problem

Ideally, the reputation system accomplishes one goal, to provide feedback for members on the forums.

However, the rep system does not accomplish this well.

The first problem being that there is no record of past reputations beyond the ones visible on the profile. A seller may have had a past altercation that would make a buyer think twice, but if it's not on their profile then it's as good as gone.
Secondly, the only difference between giving feedback in a reputation comment and a post is the different in the rep power, which is supposedly a meaningless number, but time and time again it is seen as far more than that.
Lastly, there is no defined use for the system. It can be given for making a joke, a good sale, or circlejerking in the political/religion thread. There really and truly is no meaning for it. Essentially it's a metric of how much time people have spent on the forum, like post count and join date. I do concede that there have been some cases where it has worked as everyone would like it to where members with large post count have low rep, but those people are not on this forum for very long anyways.

The Solution

There have been solutions offered to these problems, but using only the stock VB software, all of the solutions suggested require more policing from the mods. I can't speak for all the mods, but I have no interest in policing the rep system. Even if we were to say, prevent people from giving reputation to old accounts then people would rep newcomers to reset the system, given the stock software there will be exploitable loopholes in any potential new system.

I voted that I don't care in the poll, but after thinking about all the possible solutions I would change my vote to have the system removed. It does not serve the intended purpose in its current capacity.

However, if that is not an option I see only one way for the reputation system to remain at LPF. Let the policy for the system be that it can be used in any way shape or form anyone sees fit as long as it does not violate the terms of service. This would (in my mind) put an end to the complaints, as it would be put in writing that what others are calling abuse (a term I disagree with) would be allowed.

TL;DR Reputation system is fundamentally flawed. I would like it to be removed, but if it stays I think there should be no moderation of any use of the reputation system with exception of ToS violations.

Last edited:
The first problem being that there is no record of past reputations beyond the ones visible on the profile. A seller may have had a past altercation that would make a buyer think twice, but if it's not on their profile then it's as good as gone.

The default is to show the last 10 reps, but this can be expanded, with a stock option in VB.

Try changing it to 100, 500, or even 10,000 to expand the record.

Even the most highly repped member on here currently, Cyp, has only ~600 or so clicks to add or remove rep.

I think there should be no moderation of any use of the reputation system with exception of ToS violations.

Which is how it was for the most part previously.

You'll notice, ebay, amazon, yelp, imdb, etc,. they don't moderate reviews either, unless there is a blatant TOS violation. It's just that on here we're a smaller community and it takes no effort for a wino with a axe to grind, a troll, or a tumblr emo new world respect my feelings kind of troll to shoot you a PM.

My suggestion: check the rep, and stock response "Red feedback is moderated for TOS violations only, not content."

gozert

Don't really care. The forum is probably best off having it removed to prevent people from getting butthurt about a negative rep.

I have reached an aggravation point with it that I don't care, EXCEPT other people, nice people, have said they think it has value and would rather not just throw it away, and if I really soul search I would miss the at a glance information it gives too, as well as not upsetting good people it does serve a purpose.

Hopefully it will return to useful and everyone will remember that we all have to compromise some amount to give others what they want and that they may be compromising too.

As this is not a life or death decision I hope we all accept some middle ground or if it ends up a way we don't like it I hope that won't prevent people from making the best of everything else here.

I haven't been a member for even a year so I will accept what ever the decision is, I just hope it doesn't drive away good people who are accustomed to having it if it all goes away.

ARG

Which is how it was for the most part previously.

There are a lot of PM's and reported posts behind the scenes of people crying foul, saying it's against the rules to leave neg rep (I wish I was joking) among other things. It's definitely not clear to people how the system can be used. If it stays there needs to be an agreement on it, and this needs to be expressed clearly.

I can't see a way for the system to stay and address all the problems people have with it. If it stays then it stays with all the flaws, as far as I'm concerned there is no middle ground here.

The default is to show the last 10 reps, but this can be expanded, with a stock option in VB.

Try changing it to 100, 500, or even 10,000 to expand the record.

Even the most highly repped member on here currently, Cyp, has only ~600 or so clicks to add or remove rep.

I didn't know that about VB, thanks. I think that's a good solution, but if it shows all on one page it may be too much load for the data base.

Of course it's impossible to eliminate all the flaws, but you can probably save yourself quite a few headaches with a small sticky, and a short blunt reply when are report comes in.

Kept at say 500, even if it's loaded on one page, it shouldn't be an issue. I think it's this setting;

Number of Reputation Levels to Display
When a user enters their User CP, they will see a list of their most recent reputation ratings. This affects how many of the latest ratings to display.

Not sure how it's displayed. If it's in CP only, that wouldn't be of help.

"Another' forum survives without rep or mods and practically no admin either..

Doing away with the rep system IMO removes one of the 'checks and balances' that we have now , even tho its far from perfect. I personally feel that far too many use the neg reps WAY too often for trivial reasons. I do not respond to any member asking me to neg. I WILL Pos neg (RARELY)if it looks like someone was unfairly negged and I have accidently negged two members and got help repairing my error.
Not to say that the Mods or Admin were not helpful coz they have always been helpful .
.... if we are worring about turning away new members perhaps those inclined to give them a hard time in a post or by repping should instead send a polite PM with their opinion. Since I have started doing that I have made new friends and feel they will do fine here .

Lastly-- new members can be recruited.. I am lucky as I get emails asking for (AixiZ) help and my number 1 question is WHY are you NOT at LPF.
Some get the help they need just from that question after they join. Only a few refuse to join. They don't need a forum ( haha well then why do you have questions??)

hak

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

...Mods I gave a welcome back rep to gozert and somehow neg repped Please remove it. Talk about the wrong place at the wrong time:(:( Wow this is a bummer if you read his post you will see why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.