Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How would you react if the reputation system is removed on LPF?

How would you react if the reputation system is removed on LPF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Security issues apparently? I'm not sure either, seeing as how getting into the vet section for example, seems to be rather easy to do.

It could have some value, but I'm afraid it deters new members.
We have a lot of people reading that don't contributing or show their builds and I bet that rep number scares people away.

It may be a good test to put it on ice for a couple of months, remove the counts and see if more new people join.

If not then reinstate it.

It's just an idea.

Rivem

I'm new here, so I don't have a lot of experience with the forum. I have used forums with similar systems though, and I'm usually indifferent on the matter.

Here, it's good that I can immediately tell who is more experienced with the forum, but I feel like my lower rep makes people automatically assume that I'm completely new with electronics and lasers when I'm not. Maybe with owning lasers, but not dealing with them. Just an observation on what's been posted in response to me vs in discussions I've read between seasoned members of the forum, and I expect it'll go away the longer I'm involved.

Pman

I agree with Laser Chick and Infin for the most part.
Voted dissatisfied and use less. I see the purpose in it in spite of the bad apples being thrown around. Regardless of the negative REP I do believe positive is positive and at least gives some indication of advice that can be trusted. To my knowledge positive reputation hasn't been so openly messed with as to cause a real issue. I don't think you would end up with a lot of REP if you were not helpful regardless of how it is put out there.
If there's nothing at all to indicate if a person is trustworthy then what would you go by? How much stuff they list they own? When they joined? A seperate thread with how many thank you? How much they give to the site? How many sponsors? How many people have joined their "clique" group? Friends they have?
What I can't figure out is how no indicator at all helps anything. To me that's just confusion and we don't need more of that. I know this may come as a shock to some but we are not all the same and everything isn't equal. Everyone thinks they deserve more than they have regardless of what they have and life isn't fair. There's nothing wrong with earning REP regardless of whether it is from lots of builds, being helpful with the basics or highly technical stuff or sharing reviews of what was purchased.
When I first got here I strove to build my REP as it not only felt good but gave me a good indicator of what I was doing right. If I did something stupid or foolish not a single person negged me because I corrected and made things right. It was a part of learning to fit in in a hobby that is potentially quite dangerous. I earned my REP and never a negative from being respectful and thankful more than I had to be and of course learning from mistakes and correcting rather than becoming confrontational. These days I like getting it so I can help steer others the same way. Instead of neg repping I just commented or stayed out of most trouble areas here when others jumped in. When I saw things getting too out of line I would PM them and sometimes contact a mod if necessary so I wouldn't personally get dragged down. I could have chosen the path of self-righteousness in public but I've found over the years that you just turn into that person who everyone else can't stand. I REP to build others up and give them the same satisfaction I use to get. REP is a tool. I choose to build with it rather than tear down.
That being said, the longer I have been here the more I do get involved in some issues but that also comes with some experience of how I've seen things go down in the past so I'm more willing to stick my neck out a bit more. I hate all this arguing and clashing of personalities. There's 0 fun in it for me. I'm not someone who likes to argue for the sake of it. You want to make things personal take it to a PM and stop dragging the rest of us down.
I don't "need" this hobby. There's a million other things I could get into and find enjoyment in. When I lose the feeling of accomplishment here or feel my services are no longer helpful I'm gone. Exactly how many actual women have there been here? Men need to feel like they are worth something. That they are valued in society. That what they are doing has some kind of value. When you are dating or get married what you want to know and feel is self worth and that comes from being told. My wife could cook me a meal or vacuum the house but what I want most of all is to know that what I am doing for her and my family is worth something whether I want to admit it or not.

Last edited:
Why can't we just remove Neg Repping people?
I'd like to see a new system that you give out 2 rep and you lose one rep for every two you give out.

Reactions: GSS

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
^That's the problem we keep running into, we are severely limited by the forum software. I have voted for removal of the system, because I see that as the lesser of evils, but ideally there would be a middle ground as the rep system is useful in some circumstances.

I've seen lots of good ideas during this discussion, but many are not possible within the confines of vBulliten. Below are the only reputation settings that are available:

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Can't. Only two factors can be changed, there are no other options.

Personally I also don't think it would be good to get rid of the option to neg rep. If we go that route I'd rather see it just scrapped altogether, since in the absence of other data it would give a false positive rating to everyone.

Edit... @Mods, have you tried experimenting with the Reputation Point Factor? If it's set to 0:0 would that result in one rep from anyone, only adding or removing one point?

Last edited:
Haven't voted yet, but whatever is done won't affect my presence here.

I haven't seen this suggested, but.....

"How about resetting rep to zero for everyone?"

Let's all start from zero (even the vets). If you're good, you'll get +rep again. If you're bad...........santa won't bring you presents either.

Why stop there? Let's reset post counts to zero, remove all custom avatars and signatures, and anonymize all usernames to a six character alphanumeric?

Much as they are silly points, and green squares on a screen, lots of members here, myself included, have tried to do things to contribute to LPF, and the rep is a nice acknowledgement of that. It's also nice to be able to give out rep as an acknowledgement to the contribution of others, without needing to write a meaningless "cool" "thanks for sharing" "that's awesome!" post.

To be frank, to have it reset to zero would be more of a slap in the face versus just a major annoyance with having it removed.

Reactions: GSS
I can hardly believe this question is even being asked! :wtf: The entire forum should not be penalized for the actions of mostly one troublemaker! There have however been more than one troublemaker, when I first found this forum it took me 6 months to decide if I should give it a try, there were certainly some things I didn't like about it. I saw plenty of noobs run off right quick after they joined and there was one member especially who was bullying new members who is gone now but only once did a mod ever tell him to stop (am not talking about Cyparagon). That and the vile disgusting filth, insults, and offensive posts in the completely unmoderated Religion thread are why I almost didn't join and are why I have never yet donated to LPF.

I am pleased that the rep system has been turned down low as this should help prevent abuse and bullying of members with low rep, but I don't think it should be done away with completely.

This forum has the potential to be one of the best forums on the entire internet, Avery and the mods can't make it that by themselves, the members here have to try harder to make it a better place, we are the ones that make it what it is.

I contribute a lot to this forum, some through hundreds of PMs. I almost live here, but I could find something else to occupy the spare time I have left, I won't be here forever anyway. I say keep the rep system turned down lower than it was but don't do away with it completely.

And to answer the question, this is how I would react.

Alan

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
It serves a purpose that is hard to accomplish through other means, I.E. touched on this and I agree. Yeah, it is the subject of drama from time to time, but it helps clean up the member base a bit since in a way it prevents problem people from blending in. That's a valuable tool in my book.

Much as they are silly points, and green squares on a screen, lots of members here, myself included, have tried to do things to contribute to LPF, and the rep is a nice acknowledgement of that. It's also nice to be able to give out rep as an acknowledgement to the contribution of others, without needing to write a meaningless "cool" "thanks for sharing" "that's awesome!" post.

Just voted for option #5, as I believe Infinitus, Sigurther, and Pman have summed it up rather well IMO.

The way it stands now is simply terrible; I see "everybody and their brother" being repped for for simply responding to posts, or even doing nothing at all, just so members can eventually, someday, give credit to those deserving a +rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.