Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How many PCs is too many? lol

diachi

5mbps down
1mbps up
unlimited data
$69.99 a month

The cost of country living.

It's fairly expensive for the amount of bandwidth - but at least you have unlimited data, that's always a bonus! :D

Up here that package would cost you the same in CAD but with a 125GB cap. Head further north to Cambridge Bay and you get half that speed with a 30GB cap ($15/GB thereafter) for $130/mo. It's "DSL" - So DSL back to the ISPs site (not far in Cambridge Bay, trust me!) and then satellite from there so you still get ~600ms latency. :undecided: Glad I don't live in Cambridge Bay - a visit is plenty.

Last edited:
Don't remember which, but either scandinavian, or other european nation has made internet access a basic human right. Actually pretty happy that the ISPs in the US recently lost a major care, allowing them to be classified as utility providers.

5mbps down
1mbps up

Ouch... that's barely enough to stream netflix.

internet is washington state is crazy. I live about thirty miles from a developing internet storage town called quincy wa there are some thing like 12 to 14 data centers there and they are building more. Google, Microsoft, Dell, Sunsytems, Amazon to name a few all have data centers in quincy. cheap hydro power and fiber internet has made quincy a boom town for tech

I remember some friends in Australia telling me about their shitty internet around 2002-2004 or something. The bandwidth transfer caps were like 2-3GB per month or something. I could've transferred more on a 56k modem per month than they could on their bandwidth.

The problem was that there was a monopoly by Telestra at the time. There's no such thing as bad competition!

I currently have 6 working computers...

1. The desktop I use most of the time. Win 7
2. A P3 machine with Win ME for some old games
3. Another desktop for "obtaining stuff." XP 64 bit
4. The Dell I mentioned in another thread. Running Linux Mint
5. The system I use with my laser projector. Win 7
6. Laptop. Win 7

And I have another empty case.

When I was younger (teens) I went through a stage of basically being, well you could only really call it the beginnings of a hoarder. I must have had not far off 10 PC towers and god knows how many laptops. They were all crap, junkers from the last decade that had been donated to me.

I rationalised not too long ago and got rid of so much clutter out my life, but I still kept some gems:-

-A Mac Performa from 1993 that still works and is on its original 120MB hard disk.

-A Toshiba 486 laptop whose "hard drive" is a CF card on an adapter in the IDE bay. Runs NT 3.51 and Office 97.

-An ASUS EEE 701, less its keyboard. Once ran OS X 10.4 as a hackintosh, i'm not even sure what it runs now. Kept as it was the first netbook invented and marked a seismic shift in the computer industry.

-An ASUS EEE 900/901 - running a bizarre concoction of linux called lighthousepup. it's had a replacement keyboard, same one as the 701, they are apparently quite failure prone. I like this little netbook (its what the 701 should have been) and still use it sometimes.

-A HP G62 with an SSD upgrade. This was my workhorse for 5 years and gave me phenominal value for money. Upgraded to windows 8.1. the battery failed just recently but I didn't replace as I bought a new laptop. One of the most favourite computers I've ever owned, as it was my first proper decent laptop and it's done me so well.

-And finally, my MacBook Air 11 inch. It's the "base" model, but since my computer use is seldom adventurous these days it will be more than adequate. It also pairs nicely with my iPhone and iPad which are jailbroken.

All of the above have purpose; they are either still functional or are a literal piece of memorabilia, and as theyre all mostly compact to store except the old Mac I will likely keep them around.

Last edited:
Nice selection of tablets - all that's missing is a Surface Pro 4... :p

Finally broke down and got a bundle deal over cyber monday.

i5, 5gb Ram, 256ssd, with black keyboard type cover, stylus and carry sleeve.

There were definitely some hiccups at first. The tablet failed to shut down, staying in the "shut down" icon screen for a good 5 minutes, after which I did a force shutdown. Also had a display driver issue as well.

Both of those problems *seem* to have been taken care of after the full series of updates, but I haven't used it enough to be 100% sure.

Aside from that the performance has been very nice, programs open quickly (MS office 2013 mainly, and browsers).

So far the only time the fan kicked in was when I streamed, specifically 4k video, and even with that, the cpu and mobo temperatures were ok. It got noticeably warm, but not what I would consider to be unusually hot. The fan is very noticeable if it's going at full speed.

Keyboard is surprisingly not bad. Not great, but usable in a pinch, and the fact that it seals well to work as a cover for the screen is great. Stylus I don't really use.

After a very long time wanting windows in a tablet format I am somewhat disappointed. Windows tablet mode is a poor implementation, and far less intuitive compared to android and ios.

Edit: There were 3 very pleasant surprises.
1. This tablet turns on FAST. From off to desktop in I guess about 5 seconds.
2. Windows hello is a surprisingly convenient way to log in, and so far has worked every time for me.
3. The network adapter is VERY good. It's actually better than the 5ghz USB plug in adapter/range extender that I used to travel with before.

Going to really put it through it's paces in a couple of weeks. Have a 21.5 hour flight, and will be taking this tablet, and a samsung galaxy tab S2 for in flight entertainment. It's nice that netflix has finally allowed downloads.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I have a 27" 2011 iMac and I had to get myself a laptop for my VR uni project recently along with a HTC Vive.

The specs for the laptop are:
MSI GT73VR 6RF
17.3" FHD 120Hz screen;
Intel i7-6700HQ Quad Core 2.6 GHz 8MB Cache (Turbo Boost 3.5 GHz) - I found that it normally runs at 3.2-3.3 GHz.
16 GB DDR4 2133 MHz
GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X
256 GB SSD
1000 GB Hard Drive
Ports:
5 x 3.0, 1 x 3.1 Type C, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Mini Display Port

Weight: 3.86 kg

Pictures:
IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

The GTX 1060 is the perfect card for 1080P, the GTX 1070 is the perfect card for 2K and the 1080 is the most useless card ever, overkill for 2K, not enough for 4K xD (unless you put them in SLI, but SLI is SHIT!

I have a 1060 in my laptop (MSI GS63VR with 16Gb RAM, 2 x M.2 SSD 256Gb in RAID0 + 2TB HDD) and a 1070 on my desktop (I7 6700K@4.7Ghz, 16RAM, 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD...), and both are complete beasts.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The GTX1080 is suitable for VR content and running the headset. My laptop needs to run a 1x 1920x1080 (main screen) and a 2160x1200 (screen for the headset) plus be able to handle all of the graphics within the game. Your desktop is very nice. :)

BobMc

" How many pc's are to many?" I don't know. How many lasers are to many???? (answer, never to many ) :D

Jhop

I have been building my own PC's for about 14-15 years. Everytime I build a new one the old one either gets cannibalized or parts givin away. I am on my 3rd machine, I built it late 2009. I have done a few minor upgrades to it, (RAM, Vid card, HDD) but its still purring like a kitten.

Its a 64bit AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W , original was 4gb ddr, now is 8gb ddr3, Original HDD was a sata2 650gb platter, now thats been reformatted into storage and I reinstalled windows onto a 500gb radeon SSD. I have a Lian li case and a 750watt corsair TX PSU

Had win7 on original build, right when it came out. I actually bought vista, because 7 wasn't out yet, but it came with a free upgrade to 7. Then when 10 came out, I upgraded to it. (Also for free)

My original video card was a MSI Radeon HD 4890 DirectX 10.1 R4890 CYCLONE 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0, now I have a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 DirectX 11 100352-2L 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

I mainly use it to play older games, and they all run beautiful, WoW(currently subscribed, but play casual), Diabolo 3, Starcraft 2, Skyrim, FFXI, FFXIV. I dont have a subscritption to FFXIV anymore, however. And I just recently found a nice private server for FFXI.

I would love to build a new rig with an intel i7 and a gtx 1070 or 1080, but thats just not in the cards anytime soon. Maybe if I win the lotto :p

Aside from my PC I have 90degrees to the left my 46" samsung LED tv, with PS4, Original nintendo wii, n64, sega saturn, sega CDX hooked up, well not the saturn(its kinda run down)

I used to have but are now dead: PS3, xb360 orginal, and a elite refurb) And then I have in boxes: Atari jaguar, panasonic 3d0, sega nomad, gameboy, gameboy pocket, gameboy ds, sony psp

Gtx1080 is fine for 4k, not perfect if you're looking to max things out completely, but it will run at a 4k monitor, mostly at 60hz without issue. It is definitely overkill for 1080p or even 2k gaming.

For myself it was the only option available at the time in a single card format, that could run a 4k monitor, and 1080p monitor, and have some longevity where VR is concerned. I'm very confident we will see an announcement regarding higher resolution, and higher FOV vr headsets in 2017, followed by releases. Maybe even late 2017.

Nice workhorse laptops you guys have.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I'm very confident we will see an announcement regarding higher resolution, and higher FOV vr headsets in 2017, followed by releases. Maybe even late 2017.

Nice workhorse laptops you guys have.

We certainly will. I know HTC are working on a 4K headset already. As for the FOV, I'm unsure if that is going to change. I thing I really want VR headsets to do is eye tracking, so you don't have to turn your head round for everything you look at. It will feel and look more natural.

Thanks, the laptop is definitely fit for the job.