Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host of the year for 2010

Host of the year award for 2010!! :D

Submit your favourite one of your builds with links, pictures or videos and stick 'em in this thread. Next Friday I will collect up all the submissions and start a poll in another thread in which all the participants can advertise their laser as best they can using pictures, videos... whatever.

Edit 10\1\11: While on the lookout for some accepted laser-host expert to create a shortlist of 10 hosts from which the poll will be formed, I PMed Jayrob to ask whether he'd like to judge the shortlist (after withdrawing his entry), and he declined for fear of the competition seeming biassed. He then offered me this: PriceAngels "200mW" (~50mW) Torch style star pointer and one of these: Pocket Mini Build Kit

That's right. You read it correctly. Now, if you win, you get all this!:
Jayrob's PriceAngels review unit
A basic Jayrob Pocket Mini Build Kit
A banner with your host on it
A printable rosette to stick on the host or put in your trophy cabinet to show to the grandchildren
And most importantly - The joy of having built the Host of the year for 2010, and all related bragging and\or advertising rights.

...I'm tempted to enter now because i want all that stuff! :yabbmad: Anyone else want to host the competition so I can enter? :crackup:
Nahh... my builds aren't in the same LEAGUE as the current participants. LPF and all the creativity and innovation within it, you'll never cease to impress us all.

Because of this new development entries are now being accepted until Friday the 14th. Really sorry if this negatively affects anyone at all, i'm assuming it's worth it though now that you know what the new prize is. I'm going to be spending time from now until next Friday trying to find a suitable person to judge the shortlist, which will be the judge's favourite 10 hosts. The hosts will then be put into a poll, along with one picture, one video and\or one link to a thread. Discussion of the hosts in the poll thread will be allowed although i'd prefer it if you didn't post simply in order to advertise your own host.

And lastly, thanks to all those entering. It's your work that, for me, keeps the hobby fun and gives me something to aspire to with my own builds.

Final Edit: The competition has now started.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/hoty2010-semi-finals-poll-part-1-a-59853.html for the hosts made from modified torches
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/hoty2010-semi-finals-poll-part-2-a-59852.html for all the rest
I needed an arbitrary way to divide them, so i based it on that.

Last edited:

TTerbo

heres MY own and favourite the "PHR beast"
now...why do i have a 55mm Heatsink on a PHR-803t diode you may ask?
the answer to that question is.....uhm i dont know, because i can :)

PHR%20beats%20%281%29.JPG

PHR%20beats%20%282%29.JPG

Tis way cooler than a maglight :cool:

Last edited:
For me it has to be Jarob's 18650 kit http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-18650-build-kit-easy-assembly-445nm-blu-ray-red-43857.html

A beginner could assemble it, good size & heatsinking and my first one is still going good.

For me deffo host of the year.
You do realise that Cree C6 as a host does not have nearly enough heastinking capability to reliable house a 445nm laser at high currents people tend to put them on?

If we were talking half watt output, great- BUT I've seen people cram 1.8A into diode, which is also fine, if it were not for C6 host.

Unique host? Probably my GGW 6X, host made by Bill. Assembly details in my signature, if anybody wants to know.

Apsolute favourite would be Spyder III. Gawd I wish they'd sell empty hosts.

Eudaimonium said once, the Cree c6 aurora host is the best host ever created. Yes, it has not enough heatsinking for high powers but it's my favourite and I use my 445 1.1W uses this host :) Great thread.

18650%201.jpg

Eudaimonium said once, the Cree c6 aurora host is the best host ever created. Yes, it has not enough heatsinking for high powers but it's my favourite and I use my 445 1.1W uses this host :) Great thread.
It is a great host, very good inner workings, pill threaded and everything, but you can't cram that much power into it.

My apsolute favourite for DIY still remains that 6X and best-looking is still Spyder 3.

I would also like to mention that Ultrafire WB-501 and 502 are much epic hosts too and provide generous driver and heatsinking space.

Do you guys honestly prefer those traditional torchy hosts to AnselmoFanZero's Iron Man Glove?
Look at this thing, it's crazy!

Last edited:
Here's how this is going to work i think. I'll leave this up for a while to collect more entries, might put them into categories, then i'll set up a poll so we can determine the Host of the year for 2010.

That suit everyone?

ped

You do realise that Cree C6 as a host does not have nearly enough heastinking capability to reliable house a 445nm laser at high currents people tend to put them on?

If we were talking half watt output, great- BUT I've seen people cram 1.8A into diode, which is also fine, if it were not for C6 host.

Yeah i understand what your saying, i meant as an "all rounder" taking into account...cost , ease of assembly , looks, heatsinking, options (ez focus ect) .

Sure there are better heatsunk ect hosts out there, but i just love the look and feel of this host and its by far my fave :D