Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Holding] New G7 lens GB with 9mm/8.8mm holder

Podo

Re: New G7 lens & G2 lens GB with 9mm/8.8mm holder

Depending on how much the price lowers, I would be in for 3 to about 6.

Edit: podo seems to know his lasers, so I trust him if he says these have half the divergence as the g2/s1 lenses. I still would like more proof, measurements and such, of this though. As for cost, I think $20 is not ideal but when you account for a DTR lens barrel, the time to mount each lens and shipping from China, its not quite a 10x markup

Well thanks. The test will mostly set on today as my package from my order in yesterday arrived. :eek: that's the quickiest shipping time ever.

Last edited:

By all means sell one to someone. Cant argue with numbers :)

Greetings,

I for one would like to see pics of the NDB7A75 with the "G" lenses we have with this new lens side by side so we can see the difference.
If it really is the size when using a 3 element, and has the same increase in power the standard single element lens we're all using does, I would take a few as well.
A posting of the power comparing it with the new lens would be nice as well.

cheers,
Moe

I have been wondering if we could find a lens with a much longer focal point which could be used in an extended length G2 etc type of lens holder so the beam from the diode could expand out further before collimation to reduce divergence, these multimode diodes need it.

Have been wanting to measure how far the beam from a laser diode in one of those lens holders can expand before being clipped, if that is what happens, anyone know? if the beam remains small enough when traveling through such a lens holder and all the way out of it without being clipped, we should be able to design a threaded extension and use a much larger diameter lens for much reduced divergence. I know, some folk like the skinny little beam for burning etc., but if given enough focus range, you can still adjust the beam down to a fine point where it waists for such use, I think.

Last edited:

Nute

Hmm. So sort of like a permanent beam expander threaded for the Aixiz module? I LIKE THAT IDEA! I enjoy the creativity that pops up at random from time to time here. +rep for thinking outside the box instead of staring at the walls!

-Nute

This looks interesting, but I'd also like a few side-by-side comparison pics. These must be with various lasers using the same diode, at the same distance, all focused to infinity, on the same picture. Say a 7875 with G2, S1, 3 elements and G7. Ideally it should be tested with various WLs, including the reds (even though it isn't coated for them).

Would be even better if you could send one or two to a trusted vet for detailed testing.

Hmm. So sort of like a permanent beam expander threaded for the Aixiz module? I LIKE THAT IDEA! I enjoy the creativity that pops up at random from time to time here. +rep for thinking outside the box instead of staring at the walls!

-Nute

All of the 532nm lasers, even the cheap five dollar low power ones, have beam expanders built into them, why not laser diode lens assemblies too?

Can we see some 405nm (and others) testing
comparisons with uncoated acrylic? The
(AixiZ) bare acrylic are (or at least they
used to be) the standard rubric against
which all others compare. (Parenthesis -
deal with it.) ;)

If you post some bare acrylic and 405nm
figures and they look good, I might be
interested in a few bare lenses. By that I
mean lenses that are not mounted in lens
barrels.

Thanks.

rhd

Can we see some 405nm (and others) testing
comparisons with uncoated acrylic? The
(AixiZ) bare acrylic are (or at least they
used to be) the standard rubric against
which all others compare. (Parenthesis -
deal with it.) ;)

If you post some bare acrylic and 405nm
figures and they look good, I might be
interested in a few bare lenses. By that I
mean lenses that are not mounted in lens
barrels.

Thanks.

Since when does anyone consider bare acrylic a viable option? I don't think anyone runs high powered diodes through acrylic. Try using an acrylic with a 445 multi-mode and you'll melt the interior of the lens holder.

Why aren't we seeing test data against a G2 / S1 / G9? That's what people want to see.

Last edited:
It's not a viable option. It's just a
standard reference against which to compare
other lenses and test data going back to
the beginning of the forums. I like to
play with low power diodes and it's just
easier to slap an AixiZ acrylic on there
and do a quick power test without having to
worry about scratching or fingering up a
$7-30 lens. Then we can look at
'historical' test data here on the forums
and see where our laser fits in.

Podo

Since when does anyone consider bare acrylic a viable option? I don't think anyone runs high powered diodes through acrylic. Try using an acrylic with a 445 multi-mode and you'll melt the interior of the lens holder.

Why aren't we seeing test data against a G2 / S1 / G9? That's what people want to see.

That's why I am planning send one for people able to test it And comparing it. In my community we only heard about G1 G2 G7 but never in touch with those S1 /G9 lenses as you called.

Last edited:
What are the dimensions and focal length of these "G7" lenses?

That'll mostly determine what specs they have. If the focal length is actually different than the other G-lenses, this lens will be an actual new lens variant that has different divergence and power qualities that may make it better.

Beyond that there's not much else to these lenses. These "G" lenses aren't particularly special. They're just single lenses with short focal lengths and AR coatings that fit into the 9mm lens barrels. Ignoring manufacturing defects, the "power increase" is just that more of the cone of light that exits the laser diode gets captured by the back-face of the lens because of the short focal length. Consequently, it also captures a lot of the ugliness of the emitters.

As such, defocusing the lens to show the beam blob shows nothing because the laser light is just getting truncated by the lens holder's walls.

Podo

What are the dimensions and focal length of these "G7" lenses?

That'll mostly determine what specs they have. If the focal length is actually different than the other G-lenses, this lens will be an actual new lens variant that has different divergence and power qualities that may make it better.

Beyond that there's not much else to these lenses. These "G" lenses aren't particularly special. They're just single lenses with short focal lengths and AR coatings that fit into the 9mm lens barrels. Ignoring manufacturing defects, the "power increase" is just that more of the cone of light that exits the laser diode gets captured by the back-face of the lens because of the short focal length. Consequently, it also captures a lot of the ugliness of the emitters.

As such, defocusing the lens to show the beam blob shows nothing because the laser light is just getting truncated by the lens holder's walls.

Light absorb area dia: 7mm with 6.4mm of light pass through
Thickness: 2.5mm
holder : M9
Closest focal length : 8mm
Made of D-ZK3

Edit*** I better tell what you want to know!

Last edited:
That's why I am planning send one for people able to test it And comparing it. In my community we only heard about G1 G2 G7 but never in touch with those S1 /G9 lenses as you called.
Send one over I'll test against g2 g9 and 3 element :)

You are more than welcome to send on to me. I got all of these lenses in stock and can do a comprasion test.