Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from South Carolina

This is my first post to your great forum. I believe I have probably lurked here from time to time over the past decade or so (not sure when LPF came into existence). Each time I would research lasers, I would shy away from them.

I have to admit that I am more of a flashlight guy and spend most of my online time at BLF. You have several members over there who speak highly of this forum.

I'm kind of a diy type guy and usually spend more money (and get less quality) trying to build something myself than if I would have just purchased a high quality finished product. I usually kick myself after I see how much I spent (money and time). Then I try to make myself feel better by saying its the process that matters, not the end result. Hopefully, one or two of you know what I'm talking about.

Rock on LPF'ers. You've got a pretty special community here. Thank you for letting me join.

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums.
Hope you enjoy your stay.
Keep safe and have fun.
Try not to go too broke here. :wave: :beer:

Hello! We share the same idea, mostly DIY lurked for a long time, now finally registered... oh aren't we the lazy bunch haha. Well im mostly replying to build up a little post count... but welcome to the forums! Lots of knowledgeable people here.

I like the link to your build. That's a cool driver and solid heatsink. That laser will probably kick for a long time. Welcome!

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome Antharak, SheepDog493, and Down with Umbrella. Digging that signature picture Down. I don't know enough to know what it is, but it sure looks cool.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi ImA4Wheelr, welcome to LPF. Enjoy your stay here, have fun, be safe, and be sure to share some of your flashlight knowledge with us! :beer:

BTW - Great job on your 1st build, looks good! :)

@ livinloud - Got to love your comment to BLF members to join the "dark side" of illumination.

Last edited:
Thank you BowtieGuy for the welcome and compliment. Will do my best on all accounts. Man, your signature laser list is sweet.

Last edited:
Welcome to LPF ImA4Wheelr. Once you join the "Dark Side" forever will it control your destiny.

Alan

welcome from TEXAS- WE HAVE SOME GREAT MEMBERS IN YOUR AREA-

BUT also great is how far you are from newton N.C. as that is where the 'WoodStock' "ComicCon' of laser nerd meets is held in Aug(mid month)- I have driven there from Tx three times and flew once- WAY more goes on at SELEM than i can tell you here- for a better idea search SELEM Laser and check out the vids at YouTube- its a private gathering with more laser projectors than you can stand-
SO MANY that last year we addwed another venue across the parking lot for 'Club SELEM' where mostly free style /live play and BEAM SHOWs happen.In the main auditoriun (conover/newton) is where the animation and abstracts lasering is done.
You have no idea how many of us wish we lived as close as you do. These go on for three days and we still dont get to see all that was there to share. SELEM 2014 may be a day longer for that reason- Demos- seminars and a ton of fun. and all just for us (too much danger to allow the public inside) mark that weekend in your calendar NOW - the work in planning starts while the event is on-going so a full year ahead. I promise you will have no regrets AND will make a bunch of new friends and see many DIY projectors built by hand from scratch several thousnds$$ worth of door prizes are given away and much more-- I know EVERY way to keep your costs down- and you are lucky living where you do as the transportation will be WAY less than what it costs most who attend.

LEMs are held world wide but NONE are bigger/better than SELEM -- do a search and check us out- look fwd to meeting you in person!! hak

Thank you Area of a Circle and Hakzaw1. Hakzaw1, I will definitely research this SELEM event and try to got next August. Thank you for the tip!

Last edited:
You can thank me at the event--

Dr Evil comes to these whenever he can maybe you can share the ride- and there are others as well near you
- We get good treatment from Holiday Inn Express- they 'bend' the rules some for us- so we can get 'economy class' Lodging by sharing a suite.-

These have room for four- a full size kitchen- and they put out some pretty good eats in the mornings- we can get the cost down to around 25$ per nite each-- the 'after hours' parties happen at the HIE lounge and conference room-

and once we are there having a car is not really needed- rides to and from are easy to get- its not very necessary to worry much about anything except the getting there- the lodging is easy- at the venues we order pizzas and also there is often a nice lunch made by a few members that is very nice. plenty of room for cold bevs in the reefers-
a kitchen there for us to use also. You MUST be present at the doorprize drawing to win the prizes ...that is around 4PM on Sat. and there are some items worth >500$
like a QS FB3-

I always advise first timers to try hard to get there early (like Thurs AM)
AND stay on Sunday long enough to help with the tear down and load out. Some bring an incredible amount of GEAR for all of us to enjoy- so NOT helping them is not really cool.

This year there may be an additional day added to the event as even now with TWO venues (at the same location) there is STILL not enough time to see all the new shows-- SO as everything is set up an extra day makes a lot of sense- cost goes up some but that is a good trade-off. these are very laid back and friendly events.
super chance to network- see DIY projectors and meet the guys who built them.

As there ARE a lot of somewhat dangerous things going on it may not be a great idea to bring the younger kiddos--

each year more GFs and spouses come and most seem to really enjoy- there is a nice pool at the HIE - and the venues are a short 10 min. drive away.

You can bring guests but they cannot be forum members. There is no actual charge for guests in the past but.. any donations are very much appreciated. these are excellent ops for the photographers but -- pixels can be damaged so you may want to bring your older cams and also read up on how to avoid camera damage.

THE BS & T room is very popular and i have seen some super deals go down there-- about 6 weeks or so prior to SELEM there are thread posted about items that may be there for BS &T- and in some cases if you DO NOT speak up about things you are interested in those items may not be brought to SELEM.. you can also PM the sellers and place dibbs on stuff. you can ask for items too. Bring cash as we do not take CCards --lol

I do not have all the answers but have friends that do, so PM if I can help.

Laserman 121 puts up a map thread so people can arrange car pools easier.
Most have been planning SELEM 2014 since SELEM 2013-- waiting to the last minute is setting yourself up for a no-show-- it always the middle weekend in Aug- Newton N.C. NOT close to the airports BTW BUT those flying in can share a rent car.

No need to own projectors and you don't have to leave your handhelds at home BUT__ where and when you display them is very IMPORTANT--'when in doubt DONT whip it out'- no 'outdoor use' anytime or anywhere during the event--

hope to see all of you at SELEM---len

Last edited:
Glad I ventured in here. I'm already in NC, and Newton, isn't that far from me. I may have to check it out next year! Thanks for the heads up!

Thank you Hakzaw1. Looks like Newton is a few hours from me (I'm between Greenville and Columbia). August is probably too hot and humid, but I wonder if anyone camps out (in nature) for the event.

Tmack

He there. Welcome to the party. Lots of great people here. A DIY guy such as yourself will soak up loads of good info and ideas from some experienced laser.. Smiths lol. Have fun.

Tony

Last edited: