Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Google Search Bar Location...

Where should the Google Searc Bar be located on every Forum page ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What's the problem here? :thinking:

problemdi.png

Last edited:

Stin

They are just two different search bars. Personally I think the google one works better. I pretty much always use google to search lpf.

EDIT: I usually just search using chrome and that takes me to google which mainly gives me LPF links.

Last edited:
i agree, the search tab is kind of really bad, the google box is super helpful. try for yourself; type the same exact thing into both the search tab and the google box "how to clean lens" and you get wayyyyy different results

I was once blind but now I see..... Never used the google one before.

Put it on top of the page, and all the rigmarole, yes, I was behind it the whole time... :whistle:

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hi guys

thanks for feedback

i'm going to have to keep it at the bottom for performance reasons and preventing too much clutter on the top portion

what i'm planning on doing once i figure out how, is making it so when people click the search button on the navigation bar on the top it just automatically scrolls down to the bottom. also i'm gonna post a global announcement thread on all forum discussion boards to let people know where the new location is, reducing probability of newcomers missing it

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
i modified the code accordingly .. old search is disabled and hotlink to google search is in plance

u might need to clear browser cache before seeing resultz

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
turns out i can't keep the new posts search without putting the regular search back on

so yah i labeled the Google search "LPF Search" and the other one remains just "search"

i guess that gives redundancy in case either one fails or whatever

turns out i can't keep the new posts search without putting the regular search back on

so yah i labeled the Google search [LPF Search] and the other one remains just [Search]

i guess that gives redundancy in case either one fails or whatever

Sounds good... Works great... Thanks C0ldshadow...:beer:

And in the standard [Search] if you click on "Tag Search"
it also seems to take you to the Google search bar.

You could close this Poll if you like since the Poll issues
have been resolved by you..

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

IsaacT

I don't know. I am going to be the unpopular decision here because I LOATHE the google search bars on forums. Worthless. If I want google I go to google. In fact, if I cannot find it on the forum search I will search using google but NEVER on the forum itself. Rubbish, that box is. Rubbish.

But most everybody thinks it would be best at the top so :shrug: I don't have to use it, and if it helps other people, put it up there :beer:

-Isaac

Gun

How is it worthless? It's the same as Google but it's more easily accessed because it's located on LPF. It brings up much more results than the regular LPF Search :p

IsaacT

I will give it a chance. But. I have never had good experiences with embedded google searches before. I have ALWAYS hated them.

I am really satisfied with the google search bar :)
I find it better at the bottom. Press the LPF Search button and you are automaticly send to the bottom of the site :)

I don't know. I am going to be the unpopular decision here because I LOATHE the google search bars on forums. Worthless. If I want google I go to google. In fact, if I cannot find it on the forum search I will search using google but NEVER on the forum itself. Rubbish, that box is. Rubbish.

But most everybody thinks it would be best at the top so :shrug: I don't have to use it, and if it helps other people, put it up there :beer:

-Isaac
I actually found the Google Search Bar on this Forum quite
good. Since discovering it a while back it's the only search
bar I use...
You can probably tell since I very rarely ask any questions....:whistle:

I am really satisfied with the google search bar
I find it better at the bottom. Press the LPF Search button and you are automaticly send to the bottom of the site

When I opened this poll there was no way of getting to
the bottom of the page without scrolling there.
Since this Poll and probably because of it the Admin modified
the Forum code to allow an automatic jump button.

As I stated in post #26... the issues of this poll have been
resolved.

Jerry
Jerry

Last edited:

Bacon

Too bad there isn't some super haxor that can just place the element at the top while the actual nuts and bolts loads last... OR like a ghost of it that doesn't load at all untill you click inside of it and than it functions (only when your ready to use it...)

I see the logo has changed also:undecided:
---edit---
Lets get one of those code monkeys that are members around here to make a grease monley script so we can change the look on on own computers
--edit2--
I chopped and slapped some user script stuff for here with no dice... Bearing in mind that I really do not know what I'm doing:whistle:
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           My Script LPF
// @description    A brief description of your script
// @author         Your Name
// @include        http://laserpointerforums.com/*
// @version        1.0
// ==/UserScript==

var container    = document.querySelector ("page");
var firstTargDiv = container.querySelector ("page > div.gsc-control-cse:first-child");
var lastTargDiv  = container.querySelector ("page > div.tborder:last-child");

container.insertBefore (lastTargDiv, firstTargDiv);

Last edited: