Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Free: "Wandering box of laser goods" USA only

Re: Free: "Wandering box of laser junk" USA only

Well stated, Tmack... I agree with you :yh: I think in the long-run, rep on the forum is much more valuable than a few free parts.

Screw you all. I'm taking the box and you'll never see me again! Or still? You get the point!

But seriously, if someone thinks making off with this box is of more value than their reputation as a member here, they are an idiot. The benefits of being a member here, and being able to buy anything at will, far out weighs the floating junk drawer.

Not to say it wont/can't happen, just saying, ,,,, how stupid.

If you'll all read the red and yellow writing I did make an exception for newer members who come with a reference from a vet. There was a little sarcasm associated with it I.e. Flamingpyro's great, great grandchildren, etc.

Obviously this is not "my box" and I said it was ultimately the members who participate. Although it is my initiative (this time) I do respect everyone's concerns about who participates. Ultimately I think all of us who have some integrity and interest in this effort desire the same, we don't want to put some cool stuff in only to have the next guy replace it with garbage. I am keeping this in mind as I build the list. As I have asked before, if you have a concern or issue with someone wanting to get on the list or someone I've placed on the list, please email or PM me your concerns, let's not engage one another on the thread. I really don't like arguments and bantering back and forth about things. For me it's a real turn off to see people arguing with each other on the forum when it's not necessary. I'd like to keep this a happy place.

I will be doing more screening than some of you might expect. I've got the most skin in this at this point and I care that this remains a valuable effort for everyone involved. Obviously everyone's opinion of trash and treasure vary somewhat, but I think most everyone involved at this point have more similarity I. Their views of this than they do disagreement.

As far as Adambowker goes, he and I have done some business with each other and have carried on several conversations offline. I will vouch for him when he is ready to participate but I did request that he wait a little while to get in on this since he is new around here and and should respect thee "vets" that want to play first. He understands and is willing to wait a little while. I will tell everyone I've spoken with him about some things he might contribute and I think they would be respectable contributions.

I will be updating the list shortly. Tmack, yes I did request a PM to get put on the list. Since I don't get notified of every single post but I do get notified of every PM, it allows me a fair way to build the list in order. I will put names on in the order I receive a PM. I will make an exception this time and put you in line but still I ask that you PM me as I will be PMing back a few clarifications and expectations to everyone I put on the list. This assures me I've done the same to everyone.

I'm likening the list so far, got some good players!

Out for tonight, good night!

I'm in. I have a bunch of 9zz VE zlfgrel qvbqrf and tons of electronic piece partses.

Last edited:

IsaacT

Ooh, 9mm IR mystery diodes? I am hella interested in that. I wanna play around with IR as of late.

Just a reminder, I will explain this rule to everyone who gets put on the list in my PM to you.

I want to reiterate one rule, please don't post what you put in the box, only what you take out (posting what you remove is optional) I will explain this rule later but some of you probably already see the purpose of this design. I don't mind if you talk about things "you're thinking about putting in it" right now but when you receive the box please keep silent about your contributions. There will be a list contained inside the box for everyone to write down what they put in the box and what they removed. Again, this rule will help keep the flys out of the soup so to speak. Please respect it for the sake of "the box" and your friends participating here.

Yeah. I bought several boxes of them thinking I would measure their wavelength and sell them with full
stats, but never got around to it.

It would be a good idea to put a note inside the box to tell the recipient what to do with it. One of us could
die while it's in transit. I hate to say it, but you never know.

edit: Yeah, I'm just thinking of things I may put in the box. I may decide to put in something else. You
never know. I'm unpredictable.

Last edited:

I thought I was going to bed but got carried away making the list and sending my canned PM to all the participants so far.

I'm getting jealous now. All the talk of some of the stuff y'all are thinking of putting in has me wanting to cut back in early. Oh well, that was never the point for me anyways. I am glad to see some of the ideas posted so far. Sounds like some of you will be getting the opportunity to get some cool stuff. I really hope the spirit of this thing remains like this. I love how everyone's talking about the cool stuff they've got to put in and not what they're looking forward to taking out. When it does get to #20 I have plans to get #20 to tell me what's in the box. Of it still has some really great stuff I will most likely forfeit my position and start the list again. I only put myself back at 21 as a sort of "stop loss" to assure we weren't passing on stuff that is better placed in the dumpster. If it is then I will load it up again with some good stuff and start it over provided it doesn't flop early.

Tmack

I've got handfuls of springs, lenses, lens holders, focus adapters, button covers, ALL colors of o rings, spare heatsinks, battery sleeves, some full hosts, drivers, switches of all sizes, spare bezels, pills, contact boards, project boxes, c mount heatsink, 532nm crystals, lots of crazy optics,.......... I'm just thinking of one of my boxes of stuff I don't plan on using soon. We need a big box.

I kinda want to be put on the list twice lol dont want to put all my goodies in first and then have them taken by the first few members, I want to spread the list wealth to everyone. Plus all this talk of what people are putting in makes me want to see the "junk" haha

super cool idea but not sure I could play because I have not a lot to add to said box. What is this "fill the volume" exactly? I'm thinking this could be fun even if you take a huge loss :)

I'll join this group. I have lots of laser parts and related materials that I could add. Might even get a little something as well.

super cool idea but not sure I could play because I have not a lot to add to said box. What is this "fill the volume" exactly? I'm thinking this could be fun even if you take a huge loss :)

It's a USPS medium flat rate box. The idea is to keep it filled up. Volume is a target to shoot for for a couple reasons. As it goes around and people remove stuff from it there may become a tendancy to add back less and less if it's not received filled to the brim. Also, since there's going to potentially be some small and/or fragile parts the more volume the better for content stability/shifting/damage prevention. Obviously it would be better to put less great stuff inside than more junky stuff. We don't want filler for the sake of filler (I.e. Garbage). So, if we keep the target as refilling the box to capacity by volume and no garbage, it should assure some small degree of value to the contents. It's not a perfect rule and may not promote the best interests at all times but I think it's better than remaining silent as to how to make contributions to the box.

In the end I mostly ask that you view this as an opportunity to give something cool or neat to the community rather than a opportunity to get some good freebies and be a total mooch (not pointing the finger in any way, just making a point). If you think you've got this mindset and you want to participate but are concerned you may not have "volume" to contribute but you have something worth passing on you would take pride in as if giving a gift, then go for it. Even if it doesn't completely fill the box back up. I could see great sarisfaction receiving the box only to find it was 90% air but 10% filed with 9mm 445 laser diodes and 5% X-drives, Micro-boost drivers, and G2 lenses. But that's not likely.

Again, if anyone wants to participate you must PM me or use the email tool on the forum to send me an email. If I don't get either of these I won't add you. Saying it on the thread will just be seen as talking about joining.. Joining is done by private communication with me only and the position on the list is determined by the order I receive this private communication. Looks like there's about 8 slots left at this point. Of you're thinking about it don't wait. As it is I tend to receive requests in multiples all at once. Those last 8 slots could be gone in a few short hours.

Also, I'm not sure if the postage of a flat rate like this to Canada is any more than inside the states. If it's the same price or only a tiny bit more, I would consider letting the one Canadian brother above who showed interest join in at position 20. Again, this would be determined by the cost and if the person at position 19 would be willing to spend any extra to get it there. I would be willing to take this "risk" since I'm 21 and it wouldn't be a tragedy if it didn't get back to me. That's not to say I wouldn't want every effort made to get it to me. Just imagining it getting caught up somehow in customs or something similar. Just a thought, not a promise. If the Canadian LPF brother (can't remember who it was and I'm too lazy at the moment to scroll around to find the post right now) wants to research the cost and get with me he is welcome to do so.

Hope the above helps a little.

Medium flat rate across the border is ~$40

got it. not interested I guess

Ok everyone, I have a request or suggestion I'd like to run by everyone on the list so far. I wasn't paying attention to my USPS flat rate boxes when I posted this thread. At the time I was thinking the 12"x12"x6" flat rate box was the medium box. I was wrong. That's the large flat rate size. The medium is 8.5"x11"x6", about 35% less volume. The price difference between the two is not large at all but it's not negligible either. It's $4.50 more to use the larger box ($15.80 vs $11.30). I would like to suggest I edit the original post to change this box size to the larger of the two. Unless I receive a majority of list members who object I will adjust the post and use the large flat rate box. We will get about 35% more volume for a 28% increase in cost. Again, I'm asking everyone to consider spending $4.50 more than anticipated. Also, if I only receive a couple of objections but everyone else agrees, I will personally contact the objecting individuals and send them the $4.50 to cover the difference. I don't want anyone on the current list dropping off over $4.50. I will cover it if you can't.

Again, sorry for the mistake on my part. I hope everyone agrees that it's much better to go with the larger box. I am open to being convinced otherwise but don't think I will need to be.

List is looking good. It's close to being filled. I am vetting a couple right now and others have expressed a desire to participate but haven't yet PM'd me. Of everyone who has expressed interest decide to join it should be filled by tomorrow,

Also, This is a hobby for me, my real life takes precedence over answering PM's every hour on the hour. I am working during the day and every now and then have a minute to check messages, sometimes I am running around trying to juggle 20 pateints, 30 nurses, and x4 as many family members of patients who all believe they are the only people with loved ones in the hospital. If I don't respond to you in what you would believe is a timely fashion than it's because we don't agree on the definition of timely. I will respond within 12 hours at most, occasionally it may be longer. Usually I will check my PM's about every three to four hours during the day and several times in the evenings when I get home and have finished daddy duties and honey do's.

Thanks for your participation and patience.

Last edited:

Another thought is the first few members probably wont need the large box. Unless you plan on filling the box completely Jeff and sending me a filled large box, why dont you just send me a medium box with w/e you put in. I'll add my stuff and if need be I'll just put it in a large box. BTW I'm assuming every member would need to grab their own box to ship stuff out

HOLD THE PHONE! Cool idea, is there a way we can put a removeable shipping address clear slip on the box? Reason being since the shipping address will always change and its easier to remove and replace a piece of paper than continually tapping over the old address.

Anyways the reason behind this is so every member who receives the box can sign the outside. It'll be a LPF billboard kinda, it'd just be cool to have the same box make it to all 20+ members and then have every member sign it. I might be the only one who thinks this is neat but w/e just throwing it out there