Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Free: "Wandering box of laser goods" USA only

Ok everyone, I've been thinking about this for a while and just never got around to doing it. I've never seen it here so I thought I would start a new tradition I hope everyone will enjoy. If it's been done before here then it hasn't been kept up as far as I can tell so it would be a good time to restart it anyways.

It's called "The Wandering box of laser goods " and it is a stolen idea from the forum I was heavily involved with years ago, Diyaudio.com. What we did there was pass around a box of stuff, audio related parts and components. A list is created and it goes in order of the list. The person receiving the box could remove from it what ever he/she wanted and had to replace the volume of the removed items with some of their own unwanted stuff. The box then got sent to the next person on the list. The person sending the box pays postage. Simple!

I will start the effort. We use a flat rate medium USPS box to keep shipping costs stable and cheap. I will fill the box with laser related stuff, some good stuff and some stuff I may think of as junk but others may desire. I pay the first shipping cost to ship it to the first person on the list. The person receiving the box removes anything he wants, some or all, it doesn't matter. The only requirement is that he/she fills the volume of the box back up with related "stuff" and within a reasonable period of time (usually a few days) they send it to the next person on the list. We use this thread to keep track of the box. When you receive the box and when you send the box the person should post it here.

The 10 commandments of "the box"

1) box follows the list in order
2) receiver pays shipping to send box to next person on list
3) box is kept filled by volume
4) may take whatever you want from box but you must replace removed contents with new "goods" and fill the box back up
5) post receipt of box here at this thread
6) post when you send the box here at this thread
7) turnaround time no more than one week, preferrably less
8) no communicating what is put in box, ok to communicate what you remove however
9) nothing dangerous or illegal is to be sent in the box (batteries, caustic chemicals, etc) must follow the rules of USPS.
10) no outright trash should be put in the box. Needs to have some sort of conceivable use for someone. Have a little pride in how you handle the "box"

This was a blast at Diyaudio.com. Good stuff went around in the box and some people really got some nice stuff. It's kind of an ego thing too, knowing what cool stuff you passed along.

Just to keep an endpoint on the box I will put my name back on the list at the last position. At that point we can start the box moving again.

At one point there was two or three boxes being passed around at Diyaudio.com. Anyone is welcome to star another box on another thread, just don't do it here to avoid any confusion.

List will be created in order here. You must PM me to be put on the list. Only persons who have been members for four months, have at least 100 posts, and have a positive reputation may be included on the list. I will post an update on the list every now and then as I receive requests to be out on the list. There is no guarantee that your name will be placed on the list just because you PM me, you must meet the criteria set forth above and I should have a reason to otherwise exclude you. I may be willing to bend a little on the inclusion criteria if you come to me with a reference from another longstanding memeber (I.e. Your Daguin's great grandson or Flamingpyro's great, great grandson and they claim you and let me know, just as an example)

I hope this will be an enjoyable and fun experience for everyone who gets involved. Let's try to keep from hijacking this thread. It would be nice to see only friendly remarks here, no ugliness as I would call it. If you have a problem with someone or how the box is being handled I ask you PM me first and let me try to deal with it. Let's keep it clean and fun for everyone.

As always, Cheers!
Jmillerdoc

Last edited:

Final standings on the list as of the launch date 4/16/14 are:

1. Jmillerdoc
2. Livingloud
3. Daguin
4. Wannaburnstuff
5. Crazyspaz
6. Bubonicronic
7. Flamingpyro
8. Tmack
9. The Lightning Stalker
10. Andrewb
11. kRNAZNBOY
12. Jcramner
13. paul1598419
14. John_lawson
15. i73770k
16. WizardG
17. Adambowker
18. Jmillerdoc

I want to reiterate one rule, please don't post what you put in the box, only what you take out (posting what you remove is optional) I will explain this rule later but some of you probably already see the purpose of this design. I don't mind if you talk about things "you're thinking about putting in it" right now but when you receive the box please keep silent about your contributions. There will be a list contained inside the box for everyone to write down what they put in the box and what they removed. Again, this rule will help keep the flys out of the soup so to speak. Please respect it for the sake of "the box" and your friends participating here.

Box left my house 4/16/14.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

IsaacT

Re: Free: "Wandering box of laser junk" USA only

Go ahead and put me down man

Guess Dave can "merge" his post with yours so you have the second post.

Since I am taking a step away from this hobby and moving back home, I can add a bunch of parts to this box. I doubt I'd take anything out unless there was something neat that I could use. Have a bunch of laser parts and spare diodes that I dont know what they are, along with some LED parts so if you want to add me to the list somewhere then just let me know :beer:

BTW this has been done here but only available to the vets due to risk that a new member could come along, ask for the box and steal everything. Might be a good idea to ask for a "deposit" from new members just to avoid the risk of theft. There'd need to be guidelines for who is subject to this but I trust the members of LPF to help out with those

EDIT: Guess I'll be third on the list behind JMiller, Dave and WBS :D

Last edited:

Well, I don't think the others would disagree if I put you on the list second, they are much more likely to benefit from this move. Unless they PM me and ask me to follow the list order I will send it to you first and leave some room in the box for added stuff. Sounds like you will be adding, not subtracting. So, Dave and WBS, unless I hear from you I. The next couple days, I will plan to send this to Livingloud, who knows....maybe he will decide to out that Ophir in the box!

Also, if you'll read in my post in red (I did it in dark red accidentally on the first post and I think everyone missed it, I just changed it to bright red) I did outline some requirements to be added to the list. I will also be doing some background research on anyone who PM's me meeting the minimum requirements. If I'm not satisfied with what I find they won't be added. I plan to keep control of the list. It's not a democratic process, this is my idea and ultimately the forums box and that doesn't mean it has to seem fair to everyone who stumbles across this thread. It may not seem fair to some and guess what....they aren't entitled to participate either. If they don't like the rules they are welcome to start their own box with their own rules and get it approved by moderation. I want to reiterate, this is intended to be fun AND benefit the trusted members of the forum. I consider those to be worthy of "the box" are those who have some skin in the forum.....That means time spent around here answering questions to all the noobs (like I was a couple years ago), providing useful information to everyone, good reviews of products and builds and such, or having provided a service to the forum like DTR, Flamingpyro, Jayrob, Mrcrouse, Sinner, Moh, just to name a few that come to mind. Having been around a few months and having a positive reputation are the minimum requirements. That's the minimum and if I do some digging and find out someone is a troll, jerk, or otherwise unsavory individual, I won't out their name on the list. Please send me your mailing address Livingloud, ok?

There will be more updates and adjustments as we go along with this but the basic Ten Commandments should remain stable.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

I don't mind going first behind you but as you said it is up to Dave and Isaac since they did post first. I'd need a few days to dig stuff from its hiding place as well :beer:

If batteries were not such an issue with USPS then I'd throw a few in lol

Ill PM you my address tonight after I get back from dinner. I would say take it off the PJ I sent but I scribbled the return address on since I forgot to put it on there prior to getting to the post office :shhh:

im i too new to enter? sounds like a cool idea

oop you added a 4 month limit :p guess ill try next time

Last edited:

ru124t

wish I lived in the usa but getting that box across with Canada customs would be a drag for sure. Bummer to the max

Might be interested, keeping an eye out on this thread. Sounds like a lot of fun though! :beer:

Subscribing... This is a great idea Jeff!! I'll add my name to the list a little while later, when I've collected some good junk :p (just like you suggested).

Interested to see what all gets put in! :D

Put me down for sure. I have a few hundred LED's, spare modules, heatsinks, o-rings, TEC's, lenses, prisms, mirrors,..so by a few i mean several hundred (thousand). i could fill up a junk box like a mad man. One question- how long will each person have the box? Is there a time limit, or no?

it says no more than a week per person

Pfft, i saw that, i was just....testing you guys. Yea, thats it!
*cough cough*

Pfft, i saw that, i was just....testing you guys. Yea, thats it!
*cough cough*

Hahaha :crackup:

Jeff, can we put more than strictly laser stuff in there? I've got a box FULL of electronics "junk" like LED's and wires and resistors and microchips and more LED's and switches and who knows what else!
Edit: I'll also throw in a few LPF/Laserist vinyl decals!! ;)

If that stuff is eligible for the box, you can go ahead and put me in line wherever the next spot is :D

-Adam

Last edited:

Well, its is a "laser" junk box, but i dont think anyone would be opposed to other electronics- after all, it'd be awful hard to fill it up with ONLY laser stuff. I plan on throwing in some LED's and such