Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ehgemus/DTR laser 638nm

I've had this laser for a while now. IIRC I got it sometime in late 2014. It's my "everyday carry" laser and you can see that it has some dings and dents. I never got around to photographing it due to being in a crappy mood at the time but this laser has gone a long way towards improving my mental health, as odd as that may seem. A lot of people, some close friends even, think it's weird of me to enjoy looking at the beam and the dot as much as I do, but the best thing I can liken it to is the Buddha's lotus sermon. You either get it or you don't, and it's not something I can meaningfully put into words.

I have to work early so don't have a lot of time, but I finally took a few pictures of it. This laser is great. It's everything the Laser 301 should have been — it has all of the 301's good qualities, and none of the bad.

The laser itself is a DTR module, Opnext HL63603TG running on a Flexdrive at 300mA, and LPM's at a solid 190mW. The lens is a Jayrob G2. The host is aluminum and consists of two sections press-fit together, which you can see below. There is no separate heatsink; the host itself performs this function. The laser has two switches, a master on/off clicky in the tailcap, and a momentary side switch. A single 18650 powers the unit.

In terms of handling, it's just like a laser 301 and can do the same things, e.g. lots of rapid fire pulses if you want it to, long duration operation with no problem, and it's got the safety switch to prevent holes burned into pockets. Only, it's better than the 301 for a number of reasons: Good quality, the side switch is recessed which leads to a lot less misfiring, and the safety switch is a simple button rather than a key. Originally the button was black, but the paint came off and I noticed that the plastic underneath is red. So, I scraped the rest of the paint off. I love how the red button looks, it's perfect. It just screams "mad scientist dangerous device" :)

Unlike a laser 301, it has been basically problem-free from day zero. It sat for some months because I couldn't decide on a laser to put in it, but then my 638's C6 host broke, and that took care of that. I'm honestly a bit tempted to swap out the 638 for something stupid, maybe one of those 5W Death Star diodes that everyone is building with nowadays.

There is the host. The arrow shows where the two pieces are press-fit together. Every now and then (3 or 4 months, a while) the front piece starts to work its way out, due to being jostled and dropped and whatnot, but a quick press in the vise takes care of that.

ehgemus%20custom%202-800x450_zpsmylkehdp.jpg

There's a nice host and beam shot. That red button looks dangerous, don't you think? It's convenient in that I can put some tape on the side switch to keep it on, and I can still turn the laser on and off via the tail button. The laser was on for about 10 minutes while I was taking the pictures and it never even got warm.

ehgemus%20custom%203-800x450_zpscq4uoru7.jpg

Another host and beam shot:
ehgemus%20custom%204-800x600_zps4ir6jtuv.jpg

And from another angle:
ehgemus%20custom%205-800x450_zps37pe1yyf.jpg

Thanks to Ehgemus, DTR, and LPF for making this laser possible. It has gone a long way towards keeping my mindset positive and for that I am grateful.

Last edited:

DTR

Awesome build. Glad you like it.:beer:

Pman

I like it a lot. Love that recessed side button. Personally I think you should leave it as is and not install a rocket in it. If anything keep the diode red and put a mits 500 in if you want more output.
Although I don't carry any laser with me I would definately not carry a class 4 anything everywhere I go. Draw too much attention and too dangerous if someone else got ahold of it including the police. For me it would have to be something more like an overspec Ebay pen that I made focusable so I could light a match and yet just say I bought it off of Ebay like anyone could. The only laser that I have traveled with in a normal manner is an overspec Ebay 532nm that is in my Bible case that zippers closed.
I really want to know where I can get that host. I would like a smaller version of it too that could take a 16340 and or 18350.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice little EDC you've got, Marco!
I agree with Pman, I'd leave this one as is, it's something that you can use almost anywhere and not worry too much about duty cycles, or burning anything up. :D

That is a very nice host, if it was mine I would take all that nurling of and make it nice and smooth on the handle, thanks for sharing!

An artifact of Ehgemus' amazing work. A shame he seems to have disappeared :( Need to get my hands on one of those class IV reds!!! How does the beam look w/o fog, visible?

An artifact of Ehgemus' amazing work. A shame he seems to have disappeared :( Need to get my hands on one of those class IV reds!!! How does the beam look w/o fog, visible?

That's unfortunate news indeed. I was hoping to get another one someday. Maybe he's just taking a forum break and enjoying the nice weather now that spring has sprung?