Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eBay 5mW 473nm hmm.. $75?

WHy can't you make a harness? Its not complicated. Everything's wired straight through. Like I said above. Mine was just a bunch of cdrom audio cables cut in half. And I doubt anybody other than B&W tek knows what the pots do. I attempted to ask, but the last reply I got from them was 'We haven't made that driver in years' and I think they had little interest in talking to me because I wasn't planning on buying large quantities of stuff from them.

daguin

I don't think loaning would be necessary. My super high tech solution shouldn't be hard to duplicate. heh.

IMG_0079.JPG

Just some cdrom audio cables cut in half. For a one shot thing, I didn't really see a need to make it more complicated than that.

:crackup: Yeah. I can probably handle that :crackup:

Peace,
dave

@Plexus
Maybe the other pots control the feedback system sensibility, etc.

plexus

Yeah I am not sure what the other pots do. I am going to guess that two of them control the TECs in the head. the diode pot(s) might be something like a fine/coarse, or maybe a current/bias pair. seems to work that way.

I did a cold start today on my LMP and i got a peak of 56mw right at the start. but then it dropped down to ~10mw. after the head warms up, like i said, i get an average of 30mw and maybe a little more.

this is probably one of the best laser deals out there, imho. i am now thinking of an enclosure for the whole thing.

i would love to get a schematic for it. we know there is one out there! but where...

i read in another thread that the yag crystals are hydroscopic. it might be a good idea to put a packet of silca gel in the head.

Last edited:
Holy crap. I have a new favorite wavelength! I can't wait to fire this puppy up once I can make the room nice and dark tonight. A quick run on my RA LPM showed it putting out a steady 5-7mw right out of the box. Now to find an enclosure to put the PSU in. I'll eventually have to source some corrective optics for this guy too. Even at 10' the dot is ugly.

i read in another thread that the yag crystals are hydroscopic. it might be a good idea to put a packet of silca gel in the head.

It's the LiBO/BBO that is hydroscopic, not the YAG :), as for moisture, the white box the crystals are in is sealed against the environment. Adding some silica gel wouldn't hurt, but it's not a necessity. :D

Last edited:
The white box inside mine was nothing but a shell around the crystal set. It wasn't sealed. The whole head however, has silicon gaskets to make it air tight.

I may have misunderstood what the guy was saying then, but I wouldn't worry either way. Hydroscopic crystals don't turn to powder in seconds, it takes months or years of exposure to moisture for them to start to crumble.

plexus

Here is a shot of my LPM with the BWB-10-OEM showing a peak at start up of 56mW. just an FYI

Attachments

• bwb-10-oem-peak.jpg
    bwb-10-oem-peak.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 111
Damn!!! I'm luck to get 15mW out of mine after the correcting optics.
Although my LPM is homemade and I don't think it's accurate with power levels below 50mW.

-Tony

I've been meaning to post this but kept forgetting until I finally added the permanent fix to my laser today. There should be two wires with flat round connections on them near the power socket that need to be joined. This is important because that's the ground from the power supply! They're usually connected to the chassis the laser was removed from. I found a standard 6-32 bolt fits though fine. I did have to put a nut between the two connectors so I wouldn't smash them.

2011-03-19_05-53-41pm by ltkernelpanic, on Flickr

All I had handy was a 1.5" long which I'll replace with a shorter one once I dig out my stash of spare nuts and bolts. I also wrapped two layers of electrical tape around the switch as there's a small contact that you can inadvertently touch and get a nice zap as Jake found out.

Oh yeah beam shots!

2011-03-06_01-07-46am by ltkernelpanic, on Flickr

2011-03-06_09-41-39pm - Version 2 by ltkernelpanic, on Flickr

jakeGT

hahahahaha, I turn it on, watch it for a while, as soon as I wake up every morning, and then turn off the laser to get a nice little jolt, and wake myself up.
Better than coffee with no brown teeth

Hmm. How long can you leave one of these things on? I accidentally left mine on for almost 2 hours. Nothing felt hot and everything seems fine. I assume the optical feedback and TECs kept it running safely.

Longest i've had mine on so far has been about 8 hours. heh. :D And it was still rock solid at 30mw afterwards even.