Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Drivers question?

rkcstr
or
lava

Should I pick one over the other depending on what kind of project that I am working on?
Which one is Smaller?
Thanks

Re: Which driver is better? Drivers?

It's probably not the best idea to ask people to fill out a poll regarding two competing products on here. Each has their own use.

The rkcstr driver is cheaper, can fit inside an Aixiz module, and requires a higher input voltage than the output voltage needed.

The flexdrive is more expensive, requires trimming to fit inside the module, and has the ability to drive a Blu-Ray diode off of two AAs.

Per the total area, the Flexdrive is smaller, but as I said, it doesn't fit inside a module by default.

I hope that answers your questions.

Thanks,  I know that you don't want to get anyone mad on here and I respect that, but are you willing to tell me your own personal prefference, whether it's on here or by email?  

FYI: I am new around here, so I appoligize and I will take down the poll.  Thanks :) :

Just trying to get as much insite as I can before I start my first build on 2/6/09 :) :)

Does anyone know when either of these will become available? Seems like both of them are sold out.

daguin

iskor12 said:
Does anyone know when either of these will become available?  Seems like both of them are sold out.

Rkcstr will be back working on drivers Saturday.
Drlava is waiting on shipment from his supplier (ETA unknown)

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=iskor12 link=1233259171/0#3 date=1233264069]Does anyone know when either of these will become available?  Seems like both of them are sold out.

Rkcstr will be back working on drivers Saturday.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Is there usually a waiting period for these or is he able to ship them out pretty much right away?
In other words, should I order one on saturday in order to expect it around friday?

phoenix3200 said:
[highlight]It's probably not the best idea to ask people to fill out a poll regarding two competing products on here.[/highlight]  Each has their own use.

The rkcstr driver is cheaper, can fit inside an Aixiz module, and requires a higher input voltage than the output voltage needed.

The flexdrive is more expensive, requires trimming to fit inside the module, and has the ability to drive a Blu-Ray diode off of two AAs.

Per the total area, the Flexdrive is smaller, but as I said, it doesn't fit inside a module by default.

I hope that answers your questions.

I see no reason why not.. A poll would allow users an easy way to describe their experiences with those products. For starters, while they are both proven products, competition fuels innovation. If users have had better experiences with one than the other (depending on their needs) it will help others make a good decision about which one to get. If the designers of these items get upset about it, well that's just too bad.. If you're afraid your product can't stand up to intense public scrutiny, then you probably shouldn't be making the item in the first place. We can't always be worried about pissing someone off. If you spend all your time afraid to make waves, you'll have a hard time swimming anywhere..

ElektroFreak said:
[quote author=phoenix3200 link=1233259171/0#1 date=1233262931
I see no reason why not.. A poll would allow users an easy way to describe their experiences with those products. For starters, while they are both proven products, competition fuels innovation. If users have had better experiences with one than the other (depending on their needs) it will help others make a good decision about which one to get. If the designers of these items get upset about it, well that's just too bad.. If you're afraid your product can't stand up to intense public scrutiny, then you probably shouldn't be making the item in the first place. We can't always be worried about pissing someone off. If you spend all your time afraid to make waves, you'll have a hard time swimming anywhere..

Wow, well said, I never thought of it that way. Like I said though, I am new on this site and I don't want to start things out in a bad way, but if I can get other people that agree with you then I will put it back up.

Thanks for all the help.

iskor12 said:
rkcstr
or
lava

Should I pick one over the other depending on what kind of project that I am working on?
Which one is Smaller?
Thanks

That's like asking is a car or truck better.... they are both vehicles and can get you
from point A to point B... but it depends on what you actually want to use them for...

The same thing for the drivers... two different technologies for 2 different uses...
but they will both drive a Laser Diode... :cool:

Jerry

In my builds, (all 2 of them, I'm only beginning) I've used LavaDrives because of their voltage inputs being suitable, but this is only because of my hosts for these projects.

The need to trim the lavadrive into an Aixiz module isn't an issue for me, because my heatsinks all use the top half of the module only, and it's smaller, so it can fit in a better orientation in my host, giving more space to the heatsink instead. If I were building a dual-lithium build, say, a large torch, I'd end up using a Rckstr or homemade driver because of the FlexDrive's inability to deal with 7.2V.

Both have their uses, the Lavadrive for small builds (in general), and Rckstr in larger ones, "modules" sold on this forum, or lab-style units.

drlava

FYI the lava FlexDrive V4 will fit in an aixiz module when it is available in about 2-3 weeks :)

daguin

drlava said:
FYI the lava FlexDrive V4 will fit in an aixiz module when it is available in about 2-3 weeks :)

I'm intrigued.

Peace,
dave