Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DragonLasers 589nm "50mW" - Very displeased so far (LPM: 7mw to 24mW)

rhd

I'll keep this thread updated with my "journey" on this one - Ordered a DragonLasers 589nm "50mW" Spartan.

Received it yesterday, and.... it LPMs at a peak of 24mW, and then very quickly falls to less than 10mW. Now, mistakes happen, and sometimes under-spec products get shipped. What counts, is whether a company stands by their product, and remedies the situation. That's what I care about here, and in my mind, will shape my opinion about DragonLasers.

Timeline:

June 29 - I've contacted DragonLasers - lets see if they stand behind their product.

June 30 - Response from DragonLasers - They've sent the issue to some other people internally, and have assured me that they will either help me find a solution to the output problems of this laser, or help me with the process of sending it back to them. A+ so far, that was a quick (< 24 hour) response.

July 4 - DragonLasers offers an RMA, and instructs me to shop it back to China with tracking and insurance. This will cost me $75 from Canada, so I have replied to confirm that they will cover this cost. * side note * DealExtreme and DinoDirect cover return shipping, so I sure would expect DL to, for a flaw that clearly should have been avoided on their end.

July 6 - Just heard from DragonLasers - They will not cover ANY of the $42 return shipping cost from Canada to China. Very unimpressed. At this point, I'd like to mention that both DinoDirect and DealExtreme have covered return shipping for me on lasers and flashlights of < $50 purchase price. This laser from DragonLasers was $600 + shipping.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LPM - DragonLasers 589.gif
    LPM - DragonLasers 589.gif
    25 KB · Views: 2,100
Last edited:

jakeGT

Damn. That's a bummer ! I was hoping it would be awesome as I am saving up for a nice big laser purchase.. Wanted it to be this but if they don't make it right screw that

Trevor

Damn... I'm sorry. :(

Fortunately Dragonlasers is pretty good with customer service. :)

-Trevor

jakeGT

You know.... A few 24mW beamshots would still be awfully nice to see!

rhd

You know.... A few 24mW beamshots would still be awfully nice to see!

The 24mw peak is actually fairly short lived, and was the best LPM run I had. This last tends to hover closer to 8 or 10.

I know the IR in this must suck a lot of current. What batteries would you guys suggest? While I wait for DL's response, it wouldn't hurt to try even more cells.

Im sorry man, I just seen the thread regarding canada post and I was going to pm ya regarding the 589 to see how you liked it until I just seen this. Traditionally DL is good I've ordered from them before but never had any issues like this so Im curious to how they will handle it. That is wayyyy under-spec though. Good luck with the issue,

-Greg

Trevor

If I can coax this out of ~5mW of 594.1nm... you can get a great beamshot out that guy. Just a little 589... pretty please? <3

I've got a few nice Sony cells you can have if you'll pay shipping. :)

-Trevor

Last edited:

Fenzir

dang, this was the one expensive laser I was looking forward to buying...

Hmm.. 50mW of 589 shouldn't be that tough to do, especially with a CNI-sourced laser... Most of the 589s have been pretty good.

I even ended up with a 10mW that does 100mW+ pretty steady... :wtf:

I'm guessing DL will take care of it for you -- but the only real bear is you'll likely have to ship it back to china. That, let me tell you, after sending at least 2 lasers back to CNI, can be a real pain. But folks here can give you advice on it... I've done it a lot.

When you send it back, make sure you have a proof of delivery added to the package or better yet a signature required because I've had 2 customers of mine tell me that when they sent their DL laser back for replacement/repair, DL told them the package never arrived and they were SOL.
So ask them how they want it shipped and add to that service whatever is needed to show proof of delivery to them so this won't happen to you as well.

Ouch i almost bought one myself, but i went for a dslr camera instead.

I wil definately keep an eye on this thread as it wil influence my future purchase there ( wanted a 473, 532, 589 set )

I really do hope you get a really nice replacement unit!
And the tip bootleg2go gave is gold!

DJNY

Someone around told that these are just 10mW or 20mW CNI lasers and if you´re lucky you get an overspec one :thinking:

Hope that it turns out for you to get a 50mW 589nm, what you payed for! Read about a few QC lacks in the past, here for example: http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/recieved-my-dl-hu-400mw-62023.html#post880310

Messaged Frank about the laser above, here is his answer:
Don the replacement laser is at least 400mW and can do all the burning tricks like light matches, light cigarettes and melt battle tanks. The issue is the beam shape which is cosmetic but still important.

Especially for their high powered and expensive units, they should check each of them + providing power-measurements.

rhd

Response (less than 24 hours later) from DL. So far, they've been very helpful, and quick to address my issue. They've escalated the issue to someone in production. Updated the OP.

Last edited: