Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you want to see moderators on LPF?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date

Would you like to see moderators?

• Total voters
I have a very low post count, because I read everything I can (drama included). I still don't know enough to put my .02, and I can't get into the....LOL...OMG....posts (old age maybe?).

When I first came here, I knew next to nothing about lasers, now I'm getting ready to build one. I hope to someday be able to contribute to the forum, not for rep points, or status...but to give a little back for what has been given to me.

Cheers,
Ray

You're like me Ray. I can never fully get into the internet language myself. I never use "lol" or any other abreviations. I try to use smilies because they do help determine if you're being sarcastic or serious.
About the rep points. I hated them originally but now they remind me of videogames and I grew up with those.
Please don't ever learn about 1337 (leet) speak... ugh... you'll hate it

D

Deleted member 8382

this is exactly why we want them. Also, as I stated in my first post I think we should choose them every X months.

I still can't understand why signing contracts is necessary, I've never heard of such a thing on any forum I've been!

Yours,
Albert

this is exactly why we want them. Also, as I stated in my first post I think we should choose them every X months.

I still can't understand why signing contracts is necessary, I've never heard of such a thing on any forum I've been!

Yours,
Albert

Yeah I was thinking that myself... I thought that it could be added in the user agreement and that would be that.

Albert,
It's rather simple really if you look at it from a form admission's point of view.

"Cover thy Ass"

:spank:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

But if that was like that this wasn't going to be the only forum I've ever heard about it. Really find me a forum where the mods have contracts. I think adding some lines to the user agreement is fine!

Kenom

Yeah but how many other forums have you ever heard of that had potential civil litigation threatened? I am a member of a few and I've never heard of that in any other place.

HIMNL9

That "old" mod we had here once used a lot of foul, insulting language toward the members to be sure. .....

That i meant saying "feeling themselves like Gods", LOL

Regarding the post count.... what about the noobs who have big post counts because of threads like "3 word story"? .....

I must say I really disagree with rep per transaction.. .....

But i'm sure that c0ld don't choose his mods based on reps or post counts ..... he knows all the old users here, and knows how they are really, good enough to made a wise choice, regardless reps, post counts and appearance ;)

Other than this, about the 3 words story question, i suppose you know that specific threads, or also sections, can be excluded from post count, in VBulletin, if Avery need or want ;)

how about setting a certain number of mods needed to lets say ban someone. So a group of mods can only make changes rather than any single one mod. They have to be in agreement.

I'm sorry, but i have to disagree with this part (power of ban to mods, also temporarily) ..... ban is a formal punishment for a bad conduct, that affect account privileges and condition ..... imho, the only one that must have the power to ban peoples is Avery, as forum admin, cause after all, this is his forum .....

Yeah but how many other forums have you ever heard of that had potential civil litigation threatened? I am a member of a few and I've never heard of that in any other place.

This depend from countries and courst ..... some countries admit a request of money for damage, if your words or images against other peoples causes "moral damage" and "business damage", like, as example, saying repeatedly that a product is crap or bad, in a public place with thousand of users, abusing of your position of mod (and, implicitly, trusted person with good reputation, being mod), can be considered a real obstacle to business, where ruin the reputation and "public image", that cause loss of money ..... some other counties don't admit just the possibility, asking for evidences ..... is a thing very unclear, and based on different laws, so is difficult to say with precision if can happen or not ..... but, in the doubt, i think "better safe than sorry" is a good politic :beer:.

See this is not me (no Dots):san:

[EDIT]
To add to Niko's post... Dave had said that an Anonymous Mod could be found
out by his Writing Style... So I guess I'm not going to be an Anonymous Mod..:beer:
Jerry

EEK ! I see dots, i see dots ..... run ! (J/K, sorry, it was too tempting :D)

Albert ,
You know the next step to this thread is to make a poll on whom should be Mod-din the drama.
Are you up to the task? Your a Outstanding member, have time on LPF and have a good post
count. (and you have Opera) ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

hahahahahahah. Only having opera already gives me the right, but anyway, let's wait c0ld to decide.

jerry was talking to jayrob.. crazy jay.

No... I was addressing and being sarcastic at a pevious post by "f22warzone" (see the colors???)

@Albert...

See post #95 of this Thread...
(once bitten... twice shy)
You don't stick your hand in the fire a second time without fire protection...

When you become personally responsible/liable for what happens here by your
choices you would "cover your a$$" too...

Jerry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

But will he be responsible of my words if I start to say things I shouldn't? Why the fact that I can lock threads makes him responsible of them?

Yours,
Albert

HIMNL9

No, but if you start to offend and treat someone (that is prohibited from law) on his forum, and you do this in force of your position of mod, that he granted you, he can be held responsible for your conduct, too.

Same if you do anything illegal having mod privileges, or cause damage through your actions in the forum with these privileges ..... laws are really strange things, sometimes, and there are lawyers paid for get any possible gain from peoples mistakes, after all ..... :D

@ Albert...

No... If you are a Mod (whether you are paid or no) you are like an "employee"..
and if that "employee" does some thing wrong/illegal (against another member)...
like for instance... slanders him or his reputation or his company... then that
Member may want to sue you for what you said/did.. if it could hurt him or his business..
Since you are an "employee" of the Forum.. the Owner of the Forum is held responsible..
Hence the need for some type of contract to assure the Owner is not held responsible
for your (the Mod's... the "employee's" ) actions...

Whether it has happened anywhere else is irrelevant.... IT HAPPENED HERE..

Jerry

Voted, yes.

As this forum has grown, so has the need for a moderator. Each passing day/dispute/ban/fight this fact becomes clearer.

SMIDSY

I vote yes; only if DAVE is made one- and this should be moved to the vets section too. I think that vets (and I mean real vets) should be the moderators.

I vote yes; only if DAVE is made one- and this should be moved to the vets section too. I think that vets (and I mean real vets) should be the moderators.

What if Dave does not want to be a mod due to personal reasons such as lack of time? There are more members who would be reliable mods. I am not saying Dave is not appropriate being a mod, but it's not the only solution, right?