Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Distant early warning... 445nm to be banned soon?

^You may be right about that TJ..

Speaking for myself, I hope that all of the major manufacturers of portables decide to stop producing systems based on these diodes. That way people can build their own, and gain a little respect for the power in the process. Personally I think that the exceedingly high demand coupled with the ridiculous press activity surrounding Wicked's line are part of the reason for any action to limit access to these diodes.

Last edited:

Casio isn't going to stop producing/selling laser based projectors because some foreign company is making illegal lasers with them. If Casio is slammed with a lawsuit they need only argue that said lasers are illegal to import and therefor they are not the ones to blame. It's in the fine print to not take the projector apart, and they are not responsible any damage that may occur as a result.

Laser based projectors are going to explode over the next few years. Portable devices will soon have them as well. They only thing we may have to cope with is whether they keep using 5.6mm cans or some other kind of new vessel.

-Tony

Things

They won't stop selling laser projectors, of course not, but they can remove them from the market until all this crap dies down a bit. Not to mention the Casio projectors had a huge heat issue, so have probably been recalled to fix that. As soon as Wicked stops selling the Arctic, I'm sure Casio will be fine selling these projectors again.

What makes you think Wicked will stop selling the Arctic? I doubt it. They're making money big time off this new wavelength. Nor can anyone make them. The Chinese couldn't care less if other countries don't want their products imported. I hope the hype casts some bad light on them. I could care less if they are shut down, or at least put on the import watch list. Actually they probably are on the import watch list so WTF are their products getting in the country? Beats me...

-Tony

Xer0

The final solution would be putting WL under permanent DDoS...

Has anyone ever even seen a Arctic?

Everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over nothing at the moment. There is no proof that any will ever actually make it to the US.

And lets not resort to illegal takedown tactics...

Things

All Wicked's lasers have to ship from 1 address, right? All customs need to do is block any incoming mail from that address, and you don't get your laser :)

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that these lasers are highly illegal, classed as firearms. Anyone remember the fine if you get caught with one? If you do manage to get yours, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to "keep it under the radar", so to speak :p

jbtm

They dont fine here...Cops usually just give you a warning or take it. They do nothing else, never fine you. The ONLY way they will find you is if you point it at them (maybe a gun) or of course go off blinding people...I've asked cops here what our laser 'rules' are.

All Wicked's lasers have to ship from 1 address, right? All customs need to do is block any incoming mail from that address, and you don't get your laser :)

Yet they still get through... WTH?

They won't fine you in America. They'll just seize it before you get it. Or if you do get it and shouldn't have (what happened to me) they'll expect you to return it and provide them with a tracking number to prove that you did. If you refuse then you'll be fined.

-Tony

Steve at WL emailed me today. He says that Nova dropped out because CNI prices were too high to make a profit. That's all I know. BUT -- I have a few diodes -- YES.........

HMike

Steve at WL emailed me today. He says that Nova dropped out because CNI prices were too high to make a profit. That's all I know. BUT -- I have a few diodes -- YES.........

HMike

You don't think they could have just... raised the price of theirs...? I'm sure some people would pay for the extra quality over WL's "light saber"

Some people --ie: a FEW people won't make a profit for seller. Look at the for sale threads here --- they are burried by posts of maybe good intent but no money honey. Those waste posts show that LPF is loaded with dreamers without two nickles to rub together.

HMike

HMike

CNI doesn't make a portable 445nm laser.

If that's ture the price of CNI's host must be too expensive. There is no way that the Atlantis series is made be CNI. Obviously, just like Wicked, NOVA is buying those projectors and gutting them for the diodes.

I think that price for CNI's host and the custom mount and optics for the diode (because normally that host is for DPSS modules) is too expensive for them to compete with Wicked's price. If it was anymore than $50 bucks more than the Arctic I don't think they'll sell very many.

-Tony

If it was anymore than $50 bucks more than the Arctic I don't think they'll sell very many.

Despite offerings from Wicked, SKY and others, Laserglow still manages to sell more than their fair share of Aries units. Or how Laserglow and CNI can still sell their products despite their prices.

Goes to show people will pay for quality.

And I'm sure people will pay $50 extra for a quality 445nm laser in an Aries-style or Spartan host, along with the 5-point safety system and a proper switch. The guys at Wicked seem to have a tail-switch fetish.

Because if people are willing to pay $$$ for a upmarket greenie such as a Hercules over something else, I'm sure if NOVA or Laserglow came out with a 445 of respectable quality, people would buy it.

Maybe not the general public who knows nothing about lasers and buy the Arctic because it looks like a toy, though. But said group of people wouldn't care about build quality anyway.

Look at the for sale threads here --- they are burried by posts of maybe good intent but no money honey. Those waste posts show that LPF is loaded with dreamers without two nickles to rub together.

HMike

Not true. Most of those people have better lasers than what is being sold. There are a few wishers, but most of them support the seller in a way, and the seller gets free bumps too. Its a better sales pitch to have 10 people that like it, than 0 replies. 0 replies usually means something is wrong with the item.