Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Contest (feeler): 2-months, to design a NEW community boost driver!

you should update your link to be your feeler thread. i read through 5 pages just to get linked to another thread.
do you have any working models yet?

sorry for thread derailment...

edit.. pm me

Last edited:

Johnyz

There is a PCB of it right in front of me... Waiting to get all the parts. Feeler link is in the post #1 too.

daguin

Am I the only supporter of this? If I had money I would throw up something to offer as well to any would-be designer.

You misunderstand me. I am not against the idea. I am just pointing out that IMNHO someone will begin to market the driver as soon as it is completed.

This community work will just become somebody's R&D division ;)

Peace,
dave

Johnyz

Creative commons licence anyone? Look at Arduino for example: Anyone can remake, contribute, modify etc. it but only the creator can sell it. :whistle:

Last edited:
Oh, sorry about that Dave.

If only we could find some manufacturer for the whole forum that could reproduce things for us reliably. Like a company or something, not just a single person, and sell them to us for cheap. Anyone have any friends in the fabrication business?

Creative commons licence anyone? Look at Arduino for example: Anyone can remake, contribute, modify etc. it but only the creator can sell it.
There are already clones of the arduino....and others are selling it...

BTW... FYI... the basis of the original DDL LM317 Current regulated
circuit is in an Application note in a Data Book I have on my shelf
dated 1972... The credit really belongs to the Design engineer that
drew it up....

A couple of parts were added and that became the DDL Driver...
Rkcstr uses a LDO derivitive of that regulator... IIRC...

I agree with daguin..... as soon as a viable boost driver/circuit
shows it's face here... it won't be long before a small change will
be made to it and commercialized...

That's life.... It's not just an opinion....
I've seen it happen recently on another Forum...

Jerry

Last edited:
I'm ok with this Idea as well!!!:wave:

The IC DataSheets are a type of FreeWare AFAIK in that the Manufacturers provide them for Public use to incorporate They're products in whatever Design the end-user sees fit.

I'm willing to Pony up with an 18650 or a Hosts as a prize.:beer:

While I agree that the baser nature is someone might run off and manufacture a load of the final design, if that design gets produced by many different people the law of supply and demand should regulate prices accordingly. Free enterprise works fairly well that way, a monopoly tends to cause slow innovation and is able to control the price.

Last edited:

Johnyz

What about releasing it under GNU-GPL license? Look at Linux. Many versions, but nobody sells them.

Last edited:
The only problem with nobody sells them with hardware is that economies of scale apply when producing hardware, crude example to make the board and get the parts for 1 to 10 might cost $500 to do it at 1000 units might be $1500 these are just ball park numbers to demonstrate that small runs are considerably more expensive per unit than larger runs. My numbers might be way off but are used to illustrate how board production works in general.

rhd

I incorporated a lot of the feedback into a revised proposal for guiding rules. Tell me what you guys think. I believe I captured the sentiment regarding commercial use of the driver designs well.

More tweaking may be required though - let me know what you all think.

you do know its pretty hard to solder the components by hand right?
so getting the board and components yourself and then hand soldering them would be hard..

The world (and the forum) was a very different place then.

Peace,
dave

Actually it did happen with the DDL design. Ryan said he took the DDL and did a couple of modifications and that's how the rkcstr driver was born.

rhd

you do know its pretty hard to solder the components by hand right?
so getting the board and components yourself and then hand soldering them would be hard..

Hard, but doable.

Helios

I think the open source idea is great. Might someone take the design and produce and sell it? maybe but unless you plan to build and sell them yourselves what difference does it make?

rhd

Good point -

Scenario A: The designer has NO desire to produce / sell the driver design commercial himself:
- In that case, as you've pointed out, it's not going to make a difference to the designer if someone else produces, and it's probably a net-good to the community. Win/Win no loosers.

Scenario B: The designer DOES have a desire to product / sell the driver designer commercially himself:
- In this scenario, the community will (not entirely, but to a decent degree) avoid purchasing from someone who is just building the original designer's driver. It won't be perfect, but most of the people in the know will respect the original designer, and purchase from him / her.