Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

computer mice recommendations?

so starting about a week ago i have been getting pretty bad pain in my wrist when using the computer. its gotten to the point where after a half hour or so i can even use the mouse or type with my right hand. btw i use the computer around 2-3 hours a day.

so i assume i need a more ergonomic mouse. as of now i use this Amazon.com: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Mouse: Electronics dont worry i did not buy it for 50$ :wtf:

any recommendations would be great!

thanks guys

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
My recommendation:

FKZDRW6F0ZSTCZX.MEDIUM.jpg

J/K :p

This is the one I have: Software Downloads: Comfort Optical Mouse 3000

Simple, looks good and I've never had any problems. I got it out of a bargain bin at the local electronics store though, so not 100% sure what the current price would be. :D

Last edited:

Things

I've used all kinds of mice, even using a small wireless laptop mic ATM as my main one and never had any issues. Like IE said I'd look at how you're sitting and positioning your hand before a new mouse. Like if you're resting your wrist on the edge of the table, you could be cutting circulation to your hand.

LaZeRz

I use a logitech g9x gaming mouse, never had any problems with it even after 8 hour sessions

I've used all kinds of mice, even using a small wireless laptop mic ATM as my main one and never had any issues. Like IE said I'd look at how you're sitting and positioning your hand before a new mouse. Like if you're resting your wrist on the edge of the table, you could be cutting circulation to your hand.

thanks im diffidently gonna work on watching how i sit and position my wrist. especially before i buy an expensive mouse :tinfoil:

I use a logitech g9x gaming mouse, never had any problems with it even after 8 hour sessions

8 Hours :O

Logitech g700.

that looks similar to the logitech mx which i have been eyeing :)

I use the mx518 at work on a daily basis, it's a solid choice.

At home I use the g500. IMO a better choice for gaming.

I got the g700 on sale, but I'm sending it back tomorrow. I don't like the layout of the four side keys as much, it also feels more flimsy. It's just about the same as the g500 just wireless.

The cause of your wrist pain is probably fap fap fap...

Just joking.

The problem is probably not the mouse you're using, but your technique. Wrist fatigue might be caused by having the speed of your mouse too low, meaning you have to move your wrist itself around to drag the cursor around your screen. My mouse sensitivity is relatively high so I can just plant my wrist on the mouse-pad and use my fingers to move the mouse around.

Maybe adjust the sensitivity of your mouse higher so you don't have to move your wrist around to move the mouse cursor. A higher speed might affect the accuracy of your cursor though. Back when I used a Microsoft mouse, I found the "Increase accuracy" setting in the Control Panel mouse settings was good in conjunction with a higher speed: I'd have the speed, but also the accuracy. If the accuracy of your mouse is still too low with this, then maybe you may need a new mouse with a better sensor that can track the pad while at high speeds. Still, your current mouse might be up to the task already.

For reference, I use the Logitech G500 and it works great. You don't necessarily need something like that though. Many optical mice have good sensors these days should be capable of being adjusted to adequate sensitivity levels.

Last edited:
I use the mx518 at work on a daily basis, it's a solid choice.

At home I use the g500. IMO a better choice for gaming.

I got the g700 on sale, but I'm sending it back tomorrow. I don't like the layout of the four side keys as much, it also feels more flimsy. It's just about the same as the g500 just wireless.

yeah i don't game except for minecraft sometimes, so i don't need a gaming mouse.

The cause of your wrist pain is probably fap fap fap...

Just joking.

The problem is probably not the mouse you're using, but your technique. Wrist fatigue might be caused by having the speed of your mouse too low, meaning you have to move your wrist itself around to drag the cursor around your screen. My mouse sensitivity is relatively high so I can just plant my wrist on the mouse-pad and use my fingers to move the mouse around.

Maybe adjust the sensitivity of your mouse higher so you don't have to move your wrist around to move the mouse cursor. A higher speed might affect the accuracy of your cursor though. Back when I used a Microsoft mouse, I found the "Increase accuracy" setting in the Control Panel mouse settings was good in conjunction with a higher speed: I'd have the speed, but also the accuracy. If the accuracy of your mouse is still too low with this, then maybe you may need a new mouse with a better sensor that can track the pad while at high speeds. Still, your current mouse might be up to the task already.

For reference, I use the Logitech G500 and it works great. You don't necessarily need something like that though. Many optical mice have good sensors these days should be capable of being adjusted to adequate sensitivity levels.

now that you mention it this may be the the problem even with the speed all the way up i still have to move my wrist around quite a bit.

i cant rep anyone... guess i rep the same old people over and over :p

Last edited:
I recently got the Logitech Performance Mouse MX, and boy is it good!

logitech_performance_mouse_mx.png

It even tracks properly on the desk glass, so I got rid of my mouse pad.

Very ergonomic, and since you're right handed, it will fit right in.

Worth every cent, IMO.

I was debating the performance MX vs the g700. If you don't need the macros go with the MX but i was specifically looking for at least 4 macros on the thumb side of the mouse. They are both wireless mice the MX having better battery and both have the ability to be used while plugged in charging. The g700 actually works as a wired mouse while plugged in but the cord is super stiff so kind of annoying when plugged in.

Anyways I went with the g700 and couldn't be happier.

I've got a R.A.T. 7 and i love it. No complaints, put the pinky rest on it and now its smooth sailing. :)

now that you mention it this may be the the problem even with the speed all the way up i still have to move my wrist around quite a bit.

Well that mouse is definitely an old one. I had one of those from the early 2000s and have gone through multiple mice since. I didn't notice any problems with that particular mouse at the time, but the sensor is quite old and DPIs of newer mice are far better.

You might consider the G500 or other Logitech mice; they employ better sensors. Many, like this G500, even have buttons to increase or decrease sensitivity on the fly (I saw this feature on a Dell mouse too).

Unfortunately, my mouse started developing an intermittent clicking problem a year or two later after I got it. Fortunately, Logitech sent me a replacement after I contacted them about it.

Also consider getting a different mouse mat, preferably a hard one, so that your mouse glides more easily over the surface and doesn't require as much work from your hand. The newer mice have teflon pads which aids in this quite a bit, but you should also have a pad that helps too. I use a Razer eXactMat X Control, but they don't make it anymore. One thing nice about it is that the surface hasn't worn down over time which happened with one of my former plastic mats.

i cant rep anyone... guess i rep the same old people over and over :p

Yeah, I have that problem all the time. ;)

I've got a R.A.T. 7 and i love it. No complaints, put the pinky rest on it and now its smooth sailing. :)

Not to mention that mouse attracts a lot of attention. I was at some workshop, and the presenter stopped his presentation to inspect that Cyborg mouse some guy had in the first row.

"What the hell is... you mind if I look at this?" Then he shows the class.

Now that I think about it, that was my first encounter with that mouse.

I was debating the performance MX vs the g700. If you don't need the macros go with the MX but i was specifically looking for at least 4 macros on the thumb side of the mouse. They are both wireless mice the MX having better battery and both have the ability to be used while plugged in charging. The g700 actually works as a wired mouse while plugged in but the cord is super stiff so kind of annoying when plugged in.

Anyways I went with the g700 and couldn't be happier.

The cord is stiff so I never use it. I've got a bunch of Duracell rechargeable batteries so I just swap dead ones for fresh charged ones and recharge the dead one's