Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Compact 1.5W Stainless Steel RL-118

DTR

Compact 1.5W Stainless Steel RL-118​

mhqh.jpg

Host

So in my never ending quest for some of the best made hosts I have come across another in the Ultrafire RL family of lights. This is the Stainless Steel RL-118 CR123A host. This unit is one of the most well constructed small pocket sized hosts I have seen yet. It has a wonderful finish and the metal stainless tail clicky is just completes this unit. Here are some shots of this unit for your viewing pleasure.

UPDATE
Jayrob has added these to his kit offerings. See his thread for details.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-stainless-steel-rl-118-kit-62510.html#post888990
UPDATE

p1015229.jpg

p1015230.jpg

p1015234.jpg

y9to.jpg

UxgDnR.jpg

Qrb0uU.jpg

Now I plan on driving this unit @ 1.5A with a flexdrive and since it is a CR123A host I needed to make sure that it could handle the current draw. Only one battery comes to mind. The AW IMR16340 which can handle an 8C discharge rate.:eg:

w2J25w.jpg

So the first thing I did when I got this host was to send it off to Jayrob to have a heatsink fitted. I wanted a direct press head with a small pocket on the backside for the driver and diode pins. I got it back and wasted no time to get it up and running.

Assembly Tutorial

Alright so this is a pretty simple build. It breaks down like this. You have the tailcap, direct press heatsink, head and body with the pill in it.

hph8.jpg

Jay did a great job on this heatsink. It fits with sitting on the pill but has this nice pocked on the back to give some room for the driver, wires and diode pins. And of course with the direct press for the diode it will have really good heat transfer from the diode into the heatsink. Jay can also make this heatsink in copper as well but I wanted to keep the aluminum look of the body with the heatsink.

mxuc.jpg

The pill that is screwed into the body has a nice little area to sink the flexdrive already set up when you remove the LED. It has direct contact with the host body via the threads and provides great heat transfer from the driver to the host body. So the first thing we are going to do is remove the pill. It just comes out by unscrewing it from the host body.

ahi5.jpg

Once you have it out we are gonging to take it apart to remove the old driver and set up new leads for the new driver. I like to remove and or bypass the old driver/board to remove any bottlenecks with the current. You just need a flat head screwdriver and work the ring out.

uu7tMv.jpg

Once it is out I remove the driver board and contact plate. I will be keeping the contact plate. They can be popped out with a screwdriver. And just toss the driver.

d8ms.jpg

Next I will take the contact board and I will drill a small hole in it so I am not relying on the traces on this board to carry 2A.:yh:

js2y6.jpg

Now the hole should just be big enough for the wire to go through. Then we will put it aside for the moment and move on till we are ready for it again.

z2r2.jpg

Next I am going to prepare a flexdrive. If you are going for the max setting it is pretty easy to solder the resistors. Just take a dab and touch it on the left most resistor and drag it over to the edge of the driver.

FGw5Vm.jpg

Then we are going to add leads. I like to strip my wires so that you can just barley see the wire when you run it up from the under side. Using the smallest amount of flux on the wires and feed them through. Then I just touch some solder to the hole with the wire in it and it draws the solder in for a very solid and clean connection..

qaabQi.jpg

Then I put my driver on my bench supply and test load. I set this driver to max which happened to be 1450mA on this driver. You will find the max on these will vary a tad from 1425mA-1550mA.

I4GdeO.jpg

Next I took the pill and ground the surface the driver sits on down a little for a nice flat surface and fed the driver wires through the pill.

dhF0wC.jpg

I applied the some thermal adhesive to the surface and used my helping hands to keep pressure on the driver while it dried. It will take about 15 minutes.

GTJq5w.jpg

After it set I then trimmed the wires down to a perfect length so there is no excess wire in the pocket between the pill and the heatsink.

0nd8cv.jpg

Now we will go back and get the contact board and I used a little krazy glue to keep it in place on ring that presses into the pill.

p1015170wt.jpg

Next I feed the positive driver lead through the hole for direct contact with the battery's positive contact tab.

kv8tw.jpg

I put a little solder on it to hold it in place and make a small bump for batteries that don't have a raised Positive contact point. I also used my dremel to grind it smooth a little.

i6at.jpg

For the negative wire you just pinch it between the pill and the ring that presses in and use a pair of pliers or a vice to press it in.

p1015176.jpg

And you are left with a nice clean pill with the driver all set up.:beer:

p1015178.jpg

Now for pressing the diode into the heatsink.

p1015182.jpg

But first I have been adding a little thermal grease to help to increase the thermal transfer.

mxuc.jpg

I used a scrap piece of wire to just apply the smallest amount to the area that of contact between the diode and heatsink. Remember just a dab will do you.;)

r3fzm.jpg

I pressed the diode into the heatsink and got some heat shrink tubing out.

3s83.jpg

I pretin my wires and instead of touching the wire to the pins and heating them up together I first heat up the solder on the wire and then touch it to the pins and it makes a perfect solder joint.

Now that the leads are attached you just slide up your shrink tubing over the joint and heat it up.

trlv.jpg

Now I used a little of the thermal adhesive to keep the heatsink and the pill as one piece to avoid twisting up the pins. When it sets you have a module that is ready to go. That is pretty much it.

p1015196.jpg

Screw the module into the host body.

NV3z8Z.jpg

Don't tighten it down to hard to avoid breaking the adhesive. The head will help make it as tight as possible.

p1015198.jpg

Next put the head on.

p1015199.jpg

Screw it down tight.
rs6x.jpg

Throw in you battery.
UHQimy.jpg

Screw on the tailcap.
xgUCCL.jpg

And the moment of truth is upon us. Click it on and whala. Let there be light.:evil:
Rawnou.jpg

Beam Shots

jvtr.jpg

4jOGLL.jpg

And a great shot with a stand courtesy of Jetlasers and Hakzaw. Thanks guys.:beer:

zsbz.jpg

LPM Test​

I only have an Aixiz lens so I am sure it would do well over 1.5W with a G-1.

p1015238.jpg

Conclusion

It is an absolutely amazing host and Jay did a great job on the heatsink. It will have short runtimes but for a pocket host it is a great unit.;)

Thanks for reading my review/tutorial if you would like to see more check out my compilation thread.:beer:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/d...difications-compilation-60258.html#post852148

Last edited:

Re: Compact 1.5W Stainless Steel RL-188

The Man dose it again, now I'm sure he naver sleeps :whistle:

Again a winner I love the stainless steel host they are tough and the
threads never give out no matter how many times you change the battery ;)

1.5W in this size is over the top, way to go Jordan +2 for you man :D

Oh! I've got a ? about the direct diode...

Does the diode press in just as tight as an aixiz module? I've been unable to get it that perfect of a fit. When I try to make them, it slides in very snug, but can still be pulled back out....
the amount that i would have to change it, i don't even think i could measure that minute of a change...

jayrob

It's another beauty! :gj:

With your usual custom touch on the build...

I'd like to make a kit out of that nice RL-188 Stainless Steel host, but it's kind of expensive to stock it. Maybe a couple at a time or something...

But fitting the heatsink requires having the host 'in hand'. Because the head screws down and holds it to the top of the pill, and if it's not perfect, then there will be a little gap where the head meats the host. So it's probably a tolerance of only 3 or 4 thousandths...

Great job with the FlexDrive mount!

Personally, I'd set the current a little lower to have more run time between charges. But I'm sure you will get 15 or 20 minutes...

Last edited:

Tonga

That is absolutely fabulous wow:wave:!!

Wow,
Really nice looking laser. I love it.

So much power, in such little size. :drool:

I have a question. What type of Solder do you use?
I can solder, but I am still learning how to solder good :eek:. I soldered my 445nm, and I was nervous as crap.
You said that you heat the solder up on the wire first and then quickly touch the leads on the diode. I tried to do that so many times, but my Solder is like instant, the second the iron is off of it...... its dry.

@ hxdrummerxc-> keep the iron touching the tinned wire until contact with the diode pins. That way, the solder on the wire (which takes longer to liquify than the solder on the diode pins) is already melted. Then, touch the wire/iron to the pin and there is only a second of heat on the diode. Once the solder on the tinned pin is melted and the pin/wire are joined, pull the iron off and let the solder harden. The solder will harden too quickly if you do not maintain heat, as you have found out. Hope that helps :beer:

Freakin awesome looking build by the way, DTR. I love it!! :D Great things come in small packages :na:

@ hxdrummerxc-> keep the iron touching the tinned wire until contact with the diode pins. That way, the solder on the wire (which takes longer to liquify than the solder on the diode pins) is already melted. Then, touch the wire/iron to the pin and there is only a second of heat on the diode. Once the solder on the tinned pin is melted and the pin/wire are joined, pull the iron off and let the solder harden. The solder will harden too quickly if you do not maintain heat, as you have found out. Hope that helps :beer:

Thanks for the tip, :D
Should give some added assurance next time.

Oh! I've got a ? about the direct diode...

Does the diode press in just as tight as an aixiz module? I've been unable to get it that perfect of a fit. When I try to make them, it slides in very snug, but can still be pulled back out....
the amount that i would have to change it, i don't even think i could measure that minute of a change...

I agree....I have tried as well. The diode is too tight at first , then bore a hair more out, and the press fit is too loose. 5.6mm is a tight space to work in. Any helpful pointers, Jayrob? :whistle: A custom sized counterbore perhaps??? :thinking:

Your pics make it LOOK so EZ a caveman....well you know. +rep

Last edited:

Wow nice. I might look into getting one of these host. You always amaze me DTR :san:

jayrob

I agree....I have tried as well. The diode is too tight at first , then bore a hair more out, and the press fit is too loose. 5.6mm is a tight space to work in. Any helpful pointers, Jayrob? :whistle: A custom sized counterbore perhaps??? :thinking:

It's such a tight tolerance. There cannot be the slightest wobble. So always start with a nice centering bit...

Last edited:

Thanks Jayrob :bowdown: I will have to try that method.

LaZeRz

Wow man thats nice :) btw do you have any a140 diodes for sale?

+1 dahhhhhh