Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CLOSED: 4.5W 638nm Laser Diode

I've just been in contact with a supplier claiming to have a high power C-mount 638nm diode. The C-mount
diodes have always been less popular because of the lack of standard modules, but this has been slowly
changing as C-mount modules are beginning to become available.

The plan is to murder one of these diodes to discover what it is truly capable of. Results of the testing will
be shared with the community. Funding shall be raised for the diode in classic GB/murder style. Once
enough pledges are in, the funds will be collected and one or a number of diodes will be purchased.

Hopefully the vendor will offer standard post shipping. If not,
FedEx will be another $80-100.

CONTRIBUTORS:
Atomicrox - 10
Jstrawn - 10

Last edited:

Re: Feeler: 4.5W 638nm C-mount Information/Giveaway

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why don't you obtain the quote before gauging the interest? There will always be interest. It's more a matter of whether the cost outweighs the benefits of testing such a diode -- but we need to know the price before we can pledge anything.

ARG

I'd be in for just a good ol' fashion killing.

The first giveaway started because the diode that was being tested (a 473nm one) was of limited supply, and it would be a shame to kill it since there was so few of them. It's easier for everyone involved to just kill it, plus we get more data about pushing it this way ;)

Last edited:

IsaacT

I would be interested pending pricing info

Okay, I just sent in an RFQ. I was hesitant to ask for a quote because they will immediately start
pestering me to buy. I have a plan, though.
:wave:

Obtaining the asking price would be the first thing to do before one could gauge
how many people are committed to contributing. Looks like you are onto it already :beer:

As for the r@ffle idea, I personally disagree with killing the diode. Unless the diode is like the old 12x, than the test results would
outline the point where excess current is having a negative effect on the diodes output. Of course many people will disagree
with me and insist that killing the diode will provide valuable information that is otherwise unobtainable.

Last edited:

rhd

I'll toss another idea out there.

If you do an actual group-buy (as in, multiple people buying diodes so that the per-diode price comes down due to bulk economics), I'll supply MODC modules for every diode, in exchange for a diode for me.

IE, if 10 people buy diodes, I'll supply the GB organizer with 10 MODCs in exchange for 1 diode.

(and if the economics don't quite make sense, I would of course be open to re-balancing with cash in either direction depending on which way it's off, to make it fair)

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter

With or w/o FAC?

Okay, I have a price. The OP has been updated to reflect this.

I'll toss another idea out there.

If you do an actual group-buy (as in, multiple people buying diodes so that the per-diode price comes down due to bulk economics), I'll supply MODC modules for every diode, in exchange for a diode for me.

IE, if 10 people buy diodes, I'll supply the GB organizer with 10 MODCs in exchange for 1 diode.

(and if the economics don't quite make sense, I would of course be open to re-balancing with cash in either direction depending on which way it's off, to make it fair)

That is another way we could do this. The more diodes we can get and test, the better
idea we can get of what we're looking at here. It's all open to discussion at this point.

WizardG said:
With or w/o FAC?

These do not have a FAC, AFAIK.

rhd

Okay, I have a price. The OP has been updated to reflect this.

Find out the price for say, 10x.

How much current do they require? I'd consider doing MODCs + drivers for all, in exchange for a diode.

IsaacT

I would very much be interested in this. A 638nm 4.5W beam will be much brighter than a 5W 660nm beam. Excellent :)

I too am interested in a group buy for these. It would be nice to see a red that can compete with the 445s.

I'm interested in participating. Do we have a data sheet on this thing, or going in blind?

somewhat interested, will have to know the GB price first though.

rhd

If it's $330 for 1x, you would have to think that 10x would come in under $300 each.

Can you get a datasheet?