Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Casio XJ-A130 DLP Projector $689.98 SHIPPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes you just have to have faith in the system... the way I see it is that not the everyday person even knows what a laser diode is, part of the problem solved. then the "noobs" that come here can be idiotic and irresponsible.. They usually get weeded out. And from there, the ones that move forward to purchase a diode, will more than likely kill it during assembly. And from there the ones that did build a successful laser hopefully will have a understanding of safety by then. But i still say the sellers should be discriminatory as to who they sell to.

michael

Yeap, I agree. Although I still think that we should have us read basic safety instructions just as I reminder or education, but not in the way of the original suggestion, closing the door if we do not agree. May be change it to a click on acknowledging that they read them. Whad do you think?

Jose

Hopefully coke machines will take out the realy stupid one's so that lasers won't get a bad rap for it.

Here's a clue ---

"Hello, I'm from your government and I'm here to help" !!!!!! Right......

HMike

daguin

Here's a clue ---

HMike

daguin.png

Peace,
dave

This is amusing that the discussion on safety finally popped up with these class IV blue lasers, when the IR 1w + lasers have been out for years on the cheap. Hopefully this is the wake up call that we all need to give these devices the respect they deserve. The blue ones, especially at this wavelength will not show you mercy if you are foolish, prolonged viewing of the scattered light will ruin your color vision, even a flash off of glass can give you a small retinal burn, the direct beam will instantly blind you.

Lumify

"Hello, I'm from your government and I'm here to help"
Government helping people??? That would be a first.

soldier-cellphone.jpg

I think high powered IR didn't really become an issue because most people aren't attracted to them like they are to these blue ones. Usually only serious laser enthusiasts or industrial people care to use them.

This is amusing that the discussion on safety finally popped up with these class IV blue lasers, when the IR 1w + lasers have been out for years on the cheap.
This is what I have been thinking the whole time lol. LASER SAFETY IS NOT A NEW CONCEPT!

oikos

maybe ppl seem to pay less attention to stuff they can't see..... :p

This is what I have been thinking the whole time lol. LASER SAFETY IS NOT A NEW CONCEPT!

This is true. For most of us, it is not a new concept. I admit that there are a number of us (including myself) that have not come close to a laser similar in power.
However, there are still those that are completely new to the hobby that have no idea what they are doing and what this power can actually accomplish.

oikos

Government helping people??? That would be a first.

soldier-cellphone.jpg

I think high powered IR didn't really become an issue because most people aren't attracted to them like they are to these blue ones. Usually only serious laser enthusiasts or industrial people care to use them.

yep! and blue is the most favored color in the whole world! :D

This is true. For most of us, it is not a new concept. I admit that there are a number of us (including myself) that have not come close to a laser similar in power.
However, there are still those that are completely new to the hobby that have no idea what they are doing and what this power can actually accomplish.
Perhaps, but it's not like <100mW lasers can't blind you either :p These high powered ones just do it a fair bit quicker and easier.

HIMNL9

Here's a clue ---

Uh ..... i thoughd it was "Hello, I'm from your tax office and I'm here to help" ..... j/k :D

This is amusing that the discussion on safety finally popped up with these class IV blue lasers, when the IR 1w + lasers have been out for years on the cheap. Hopefully this is the wake up call that we all need to give these devices the respect they deserve. The blue ones, especially at this wavelength will not show you mercy if you are foolish, prolonged viewing of the scattered light will ruin your color vision, even a flash off of glass can give you a small retinal burn, the direct beam will instantly blind you.

Right, but you have to admit that is not usual see or have a high power IR laser pointer ..... where instead visible ones are much more attractive for the peoples ..... so, also if IR ones are more dangerous than visible ones, almost none cared, til now (except mayme us, poor laser hobbysts ;))

Perhaps, but it's not like <100mW lasers can't blind you either :p These high powered ones just do it a fair bit quicker and easier.

Also this is right, but you have to keep in consideration "public knowledge" ..... how much peoples from the ones that you know outside our hobby, really knows what a laser is, or how manage it ?

Peoples just don't know, and normally don't care (and governs always take profit about this ..... you know, here in Italy ALL lasers over class 2B are banned, and police periodically confiscate :eek: "extremely dangerous" :eek: <1mW keychain lasers from street market, also if, mainly, cause they have just not paid the "legalized pizzo" ..... pardon, i meant "the tax" for get the "CE" tag on them :p)

Last edited:

Lumify

you know, here in Italy ALL lasers over class 2B are banned, and police periodically confiscate :eek: "extremely dangerous" :eek: <1mW keychain lasers from street market

Did Italy have a problem with people purposefully torturing themselves with lasers before this law? :crackup: I'm just sort of imagining someone grabbing a 1mW laser and being like "Hey, lets see if we can look into this thing long enough to go blind!"

HIMNL9

Did Italy have a problem with people purposefully torturing themselves with lasers before this law? :crackup: I'm just sort of imagining someone grabbing a 1mW laser and being like "Hey, lets see if we can look into this thing long enough to go blind!"

Well, i never said that intelligence and knowledge are required elements, for write laws or work in police ..... :whistle:

The last time, in the TV news, one of the police chiefs was so proud and happy, when was talking to the speaker in a public interview, saying they "stopped an illegal traffic" of these lasers, that "are extremely dangerous for the health" (literal translations in the quotes) ..... and was showing to the camera a table full of the "so dangerous lasers" .....

..... these ones
attachment.php
attachment.php

And lots of similars, all clearly marked "<1mw" on the tags :p

And the worse thing was not the pride of the police chief, was the bunch of idiots all around clapping and congratulating ..... sometimes, i really feel myself shamy to live here , you know ? :yabbem:

Attachments

• LP052R.JPG
    LP052R.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,116
  • sku_10710_1_small.jpg
    sku_10710_1_small.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,102
Back on subject... Good catch oikos! I'll rep you when the system will let me again! -Glenn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.