Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Break glass from long distance with laserpoint

I agree. Who would ask for this? Laser that breaks glass. That's like a blade to cut water. It just passes through it, unless you want to get into some ridiculous science experiment to get it to work.

Last edited:

1% its for something good

99% its not.

If this were an archery forum-his question would be about something bad- like using a bow and arrow on a neighbors pet etc.

What do you think the whole point of my "New commers..." Thread is? I hate when people sell to idiotic fools. More then half the reason I discuss safety religiously. We NEED to stop helping newbies without more details into intent.

Pman

When I'm passing a kidney stone my whining could break glass Lol

Last edited:
Great post we think alike this is only going to get worse we need to do what we can the more this happens or ppl try to do this its going to end up worse than Australia 1mw max ..strangely i know about that ..its horrid as it is i just lost a 1 watt red to customs and if a blue doesn't arrive today or tommorrow ive propably lost that as well about 500 dollars down the drain .with nothing to show for it ...+ 1 Rep

QUOTE=hakzaw1;1239962]I am already feeling bad about the OP-
I am quick to request a location in the personal profile of all/
This time i insist- as I sure do not want to be his neighbor.

This idea cant be a good one-- and if we do not take an active approach then when all handhelds over 5mW are deemed illegal it will be WAY too late.

I sincerely hope no LPF member sell a laser to this person.

i know we are J/K about throwing rocks but that does not convey the message needed here..Unless its his OWN glass being broken we are talking about a crime here-

This member needs to be put on close watch--

don't encourage him please..

If the OP does not know how lasers go thru clear glass do you REALLY think he knows about safe use??

Do you think he will not take it to school and let the other 7th graders 'play' with it??

Somebody please check his IP and tell us whereabouts he lives as ATM I do not think he will be honest about that.

As far as breaking glass- You would have to throw the laser at the window and that would be hard at any long distance.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
oooooooooooooooo

just reading the words 'kidney stone' makes me cringe-

Being new here I try not to judge anyone, but this breaking glass idea can only end in tears. Maybe its just me..I like to err on the side of caution.. I ordered Safety glasses at the same time as ordering my laser after reading all the safety posts.

^^^

+3 for setting a good example--

I agree --before I posted I racked my brian trying to think of a time when breaking glass with a laser is a good one.

THis was all I could come up with..
The OP is handicapped he want a laser in order to 'break glass' from a distance on one of those fire alarms like we all saw when still in school-

just trying to think outside the box..

a man lives and works in the same building.
every day he goes to work he rides down in the elevator from his top floor apt (20 stories tall)He works on the ground floor.

BUT sometimes he is forced to take the elevator just part way and must use the stairs to finish going home--

What can you tell me about this guy??

Pman

Good for you Optik. I would REP just for that if I could but the system won'tlet me yet.

Dang, you beat me to it hak! Good on you. Great minds think alike although I'm just a lowly +1 REP guy.

This is why like many of you I am very careful about what I give away and usually won't send out a complete laser. If I feel at all just a tiny bit uncomfortable about it I won't do it. I have given out quite a lot of kit type stuff to help others out so they could try to make things on their own and made a few tutorials to help along the way.
I've built (and purchased) over *** units and they are in cases. Luckily for me, there's only adults living in my house now (I should say responsible adults) so I don't have the issue of young kids getting their hands on them. Still, you wouldn't know I had lasers unless I showed you.

Last edited:
Okay, yes, it may not be for something good. But, on the other hand, we don't know what he's up to. I know I've asked some pretty sketchy questions but they were about experiments, NOT breaking and entering. You guys make a lot of assumptions for this sort of thing. If someone breaks a window, it probably doesn't matter if its a laser or a gun that does it, the method is going to get in trouble, the person will.

Pman

I've heard the riddle before so I am disqualified from answering it. Could give the short answer to the question but I won't:)

I agree. Who would ask for this? Laser that breaks glass. That's like a blade to cut water. It just passes through it, unless you want to get into some ridiculous science experiment to get it to work.

A visual explanation about how glass interacts with the IR.

We can see right through it, however, IR energy is absorbed and reflected back, rather than passing through and bouncing off the objects beyond it.

CO2 lasers are used for this purpose.

Also, as said before, if he wants to do a breaking and entering, lasers would not be the way to go.

Carrying it would be too much first of all, plus getting away with a giant laser, another hard thing.

If he did it with a rock. Broken window. Brick. Broken window. Laser. Broken window, with melted patters. Thus, they would narrow it down to laser, and during a search warrant, if they found a big CO2 laser, busted.

It's not only unreasonable, but impracticable to use a CO2 as a breaking and entering device.

Simply playing the Devil's advocate, but I doubt that is the method here.

In just about every video I've seen of hobbyists with CO2's the burn glass and plastics to show it's properties with transparent objects. Like lighting a match with your first high powered laser, it's just done.

If his intentions are to do illicit crimes, then a) he will easily get caught, b) it will be hard to carry a portable CO2 around quickly, and make the escape without being noticed.

This is a fail to begin with if the actions are illicit.

Last edited:
That reply made me laugh a little. People dont look for the easy answer-
But I will admit when asked this I came up short.

You know what I mean VERN??

PMan your letter arrived had to wait a shorter time than I expected.

for what it's worth, I got my DominatoR to severly crack the brown glass of a beer bottle while focused. didn't break, but a good flick and it would fall apart. eye safety is needed for any burning but especially for this, the glass casts reflections randomly as the glass cracks

to the OP, if you are interested, I can get you a DominatoR, but they cost $5000.00. PM me if interested

Last edited: