Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Break glass from long distance with laserpoint

Hello,

Is it possible to destroy glas from 10+meter distance, with a laserpoint? And what kind of laserpoint is that?

DrSid

Hello,

Is it possible to destroy glas from 10+meter distance, with a laserpoint? And what kind of laserpoint is that?

It would have to be CO2 laser. Some might be made portable, but certainly not in pointer case. It would be large backpack with some attachment at best.

It would have to have several watt power at least.

Possible ? Maybe .. practical ? Hardly .. use sling and bearing ball.

Why do you need to break glass with a laser 10m away from you?

There's no laser pointer that will do that.

Portable CO2's have been made.

Here's one in action with a red HeNe guide laser. At UKLEM '08
DSCN80391.jpg

DSCN81601.jpg

DSCN81611.jpg

DSCN79951.jpg

DrSid

Lol .. great .. and HeNe as aiming ? Priceless .. what power ?

Are you kidding? Throw a rock.

I actually lol'd... awesome comment.

Anyhoo, I would think that due to glass passing light through it, this would be tough for a laser to do... but hey, what do I know?

hehe...

cheers,
c

@Kap: Not all light passes through glass. Glass is only transparent to light in and around the visible spectrum. Medium- to long-wave IR is absorbed almost completely by it. Just like a CO2 laser ;)

Thanks. man. I'm learning all the time :)

@Kap: Not all light passes through glass. Glass is only transparent to light in and around the visible spectrum. Medium- to long-wave IR is absorbed almost completely by it. Just like a CO2 laser ;)

I am already feeling bad about the OP-
I am quick to request a location in the personal profile of all/
This time i insist- as I sure do not want to be his neighbor.

This idea cant be a good one-- and if we do not take an active approach then when all handhelds over 5mW are deemed illegal it will be WAY too late.

I sincerely hope no LPF member sell a laser to this person.

i know we are J/K about throwing rocks but that does not convey the message needed here..Unless its his OWN glass being broken we are talking about a crime here-

This member needs to be put on close watch--

don't encourage him please..

If the OP does not know how lasers go thru clear glass do you REALLY think he knows about safe use??

Do you think he will not take it to school and let the other 7th graders 'play' with it??

Somebody please check his IP and tell us whereabouts he lives as ATM I do not think he will be honest about that.

As far as breaking glass- You would have to throw the laser at the window and that would be hard at any long distance.