Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brain Storming: Will you be the next laser pointer designer?

If the FDA safety features are not an issue, then you should considering putting your lasers in popular DIY hosts. (Personally, I think the MXDL 4171 looks the best.) Perhaps you guys could get in touch with a manufacturer of flashlight hosts, etc.

cool, maybe you can post the pic here for sharing , dude

cooltonmonster.jpg

cooltonmonster2.jpg

tropic2.jpg

lol heres the "tropic"

genius,tesla , we got it:yh:

i'd like to see one with an outer ring around the inner laser. then the outer ring produces plasma, which is then transmitted to the inner laser, powering it.

Grix

A built in adjustable beam expander, so that you could adjust your laser to either great divergence or small beam diameter whenever you want.

Also a built in aperture cover to prevent dirty lenses.

IsaacT

Always been a fan of these...

lightsaber.jpg

You beat me to it TJ! Honestly the Luke episode 4 saber would make a badass looking host.....and would definately pwn all of the force fx saber people out there. Certainly better than a polycarbonate stick full of LED's.

Benm

Well, cutting all the bullshit, there are not that many demands on a good host:

It has to be mechanically stable, and of sufficient size to cool the laser to allow continous operation. Adjustable focus would be nice, but the main thing is just getting it to work as a proper heatsink, and use a driver that will put out the same amout of current regardless of battery status.

If you need inspiration, look at others that got it right before you did, such as the RPL and hercules designs. There is no need to ponder this issue any further - this is the size a laser needs to be to dissipate the heat. Making some cool-looking exterior will only adversely affect performance, and should only be done for marketing reasons.

First we had the arctic and now i'm looking forward to the tropic from theteslawarrior ! :D

Morgan

Didn't WL get panned for coming up with a similar offer a while ago?

We come up with a design and they make loads of cash and give the, "Winner", one of the hosts they designed and that's it?

I'm afraid I'd want more out of it than just one, 'unique', unit. How can something that will be mass produced be called, 'unique', BTW?

M
:)

Didn't WL get panned for coming up with a similar offer a while ago?

We come up with a design and they make loads of cash and give the, "Winner", one of the hosts they designed and that's it?

I'm afraid I'd want more out of it than just one, 'unique', unit. How can something that will be mass produced be called, 'unique', BTW?

M

I was thinking the same, but Wicked's competition was for someone to design the white/RGV combining optics into a single mass-producible hand-held build. This is less technically challenging and requires less effort (sketches/ideas - realised by their engineers, whereas Wicked wanted much more engineering, almost to the point where they could get the design, find the parts/materials, and send sketches to manufacturers).

Morgan

^ I suppose you're right. Still, if I was seriously designing them and was as far progressed as teslawarrior's, I'd want some sort of royalty, not just a free host.

I'm sure DinoDirect mean no harm and those without the means to build their design would be thrilled to see it on the market and in their hand.

It is a different situation by degrees than the WL offer but is still saying, "we're out of ideas, have you guys got any?". Maybe I'm just being cynical and unfair though. If so, then I offer my apologies. (However, it still couldn't be called unique! :na: )

M

Last edited:
interesting thread, hey, guys, seems all the hosts of the laser is black, how do you think of some colorful ones? no laughing, just speak out a lady's idea

IsaacT

....MS Paint, and whip us up an image? Pretty please? or some software better....mainly just want to see an example of your idea for a *more colorful* host.....:pop: