Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Awsome Custom 589 laser

Re: Custom $1000 589 laser

Very nice custom 589. Glad it all worked out for you and to top it off I'm pretty sure this is the only custom 589. How's the power stability on this one? Also, have you had a chance to put it on a meter?

And unfortunately I can attest to the horrible alignment these 589's can have as well as the very poor heatsinking on the PGL hosts. Ended up sending mine back due to poor alignment so I am definitely glad to see yours seems to be doing well.

Ricker

WOW! I think it is safe to say that this is the most beautiful, impressive 589 Handheld I have ever had the pleasure to see! Way to go, BBB! Be proud my friend, be very proud!!

@BBB, you can do a multi-quote by first going to the post you want to answer first and click on the multiquote icon in the lower right, then doing the same to the next one, then just clicking on quote on the last one. Then you will have only one post instead of three in a row. ;)

Last edited:

Gorgeous!

Thank you, this was a lot of fun, I would definitely say it's my favourite laser now.

Very nice custom 589. Glad it all worked out for you and to top it off I'm pretty sure this is the only custom 589. How's the power stability on this one? Also, have you had a chance to put it on a meter?

And unfortunately I can attest to the horrible alignment these 589's can have as well as the very poor heatsinking on the PGL hosts. Ended up sending mine back due to poor alignment so I am definitely glad to see yours seems to be doing well.

Thanks Brad
First Custom 589 hey, that is cool, why nobody has done this before, this beautiful golden beam deserves the best,
Did a LPM on my high power VDL metre when I first got the module and it showed about 50-60, now that it's heatsinked well I feel it rises after about a minute I'll do another one when I can!
Yep alignment was definitely off when I first got it, I remounted the collimating lens on the copper face perfectly centred and thankfully the way I designed the head to adjust focus it's able to straighten the beam dramatically even though the actual output from the module is not directly centered, this was a shock when I first noticed, I'm glad you like it buddy thanks!

WOW! I think it is safe to say that this is the most beautiful, impressive 589 Handheld I have ever had the pleasure to see! Way to go, BBB! Be proud my friend, be very proud!!

Very Nice of you Ricker thanks, I am proud buddy I'm always proud of my work because I'm a perfectionist and will not quit until the outcome is exactly what I expected, it's a good personality trait to have but it's also the reason why I wont make and sell custom hosts for anyone, I just wouldn't be happy with the end product if I'm rushed, and just can't seem to want to let go of any.

Thanks buddy!

Thank you, this was a lot of fun, I would definitely say it's my favourite laser now.

Thanks Brad
First Custom 589 hey, that is cool, why nobody has done this before, this beautiful golden beam deserves the best,
Did a LPM on my high power VDL metre when I first got the module and it showed about 50-60, now that it's heatsinked well I feel it rises after about a minute I'll do another one when I can!
Yep alignment was definitely off when I first got it, I remounted the collimating lens on the copper face perfectly centred and thankfully the way I designed the head to adjust focus it's able to straighten the beam dramatically even though the actual output from the module is not directly centered, this was a shock when I first noticed, I'm glad you like it buddy thanks!
Thanks buddy!

I think most people are afraid to mess with the module out of a 589 given the high price. I just wish their was a better option from CNI/resellers as far as heatsinking goes for this wavelength. Anyways, enjoy marvelous laser. :beer:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

BBB lives up to his name with this project, I must say.

CE5

BBB, that does look really sharp there mate!
I recently picked up a D/L 589 Spartan, and after having been shown this thread- it's feeling a little plain and even a bit jealous.
This has definitely set the gears in motion, naughty BBB. :D

And the high polish has a serious depth of luster to it, vs a chrome plated, anodized, or other finish.
High polish is forever. Scratch or tarnish, just polish out, and no rubbing, chipping or flaking to ever worry about.
High polishing is a tedious dirty business, but the end result is stunningly worth it. :gj:

BBB, that does look really sharp there mate!
I recently picked up a D/L 589 Spartan, and after having been shown this thread- it's feeling a little plain and even a bit jealous.
This has definitely set the gears in motion, naughty BBB. :D

And the high polish has a serious depth of luster to it, vs a chrome plated, anodized, or other finish.
High polish is forever. Scratch or tarnish, just polish out, and no rubbing, chipping or flaking to ever worry about.
High polishing is a tedious dirty business, but the end result is stunningly worth it. :gj:

Thank you buddy
Actually the Spartan is a decent host it is a little plain but the alloy is thicker and better for heatsinking the module unlike the PGL host I was sent with the module if not for a brass retaining nut the module would be rattling around loose, My Custom build was done so precisely the module presses in with a little push smoothly and will not fall out same for the battery, I might have got a little carried away with the mass of alloy but that bar was 70mm in diameter when I started so I did machine a lot off already, I was thinking about reducing it more just recently we will see, yes the polishing was done very nicely it still shines, Thank you for your comments I'm happy people appreciate the time and patience it takes to complete a custom piece of art like this and the 589 wavelength is so stunning it deserves nothing less!

You could also remove the module and stick your Spartan on a drill press and sand it down to a buitifull alloy polished finish that is sure to impress,

Good luck buddy, cheers!:beer:

CE5

Ohh, that notion crossed my mind, again thanks to you via this post: Before and After EBay Laser

But I don't have the proper equipment, or experience to do something like that.
I'd have to farm it out to someone that has both and they're able & interested to make something like that happen.

But I'm eyeballing the Spartan host atm, and it doesn't look like there is enough meat on the barrel/battery chamber section, to do something like that anyhow?
Probably going to have to go custom. Since the 589, is pricey to start with, all things considered the prospect of using a custom host is not such an extravagance.
I know that you obviously agree with this line of thought. ;)

Seppl

@badboybilly
Do you have any dimensions of the module you bought? The more detailed the better. I'm thinking about planning to build a custom host for that module, too. But I'll need to do some planning beforehand.

Edit: Oh and, was the module any cheaper than the whole laser would have been?

Last edited:

http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/PGL-H-532.pdf

It would be the dimensions on the 26mm diameter module in the datasheet

CNI usually is a little cheaper for the bare module, at least in my experience. If you're from the US, you will need to buy the bare module as CNI won't send completed portable lasers to the US

Seppl

The module shown in the first post of this thread (see https://laserpointerforums.com/atta...315-custom-1000-589-laser-1491571300.6029.jpg ) is a 50mW 589nm module. The PDF says 532nm and the Ø26mm module is labeled "600-800mW".
So are you positive that this is the right module?

The module in the first post looks like it's not flat at the front (the ones in the PDF do). Is that the glued-on IR-filter?

I'm from Austria. I've never had problems with customs buying from Dragonlasers. But I never bought anything from CNI so I'm a bit worried that customs could yoink it.

It also looks like I'll have to contact them and ask for a price. Do you recommend doing that both with CNI and Dragonlasers?

Last edited:

Yes -- the model is PGL-H-[wavelength]. So his is the PGL-H-589 50mW, and the one linked was the only PDF they advertise on their website for that PGL-H series. Moreso for dimensions than purchasing reference :)

_

To your second question, I'm not sure if it will come with the IR filter attached or not. I believe it will, but don't quote me on that... something I'd ask a sales rep there if you go with CNI

_

If you're only going for the 50mW unit, you may find it cheaper to buy a spartan 50mW from dragonlasers and tear it apart for the 589nm module. CNI offers up to 80mW, though a lot of the dragonlasers units are overspec enough that I wouldn't think it would affect brightness in a noticeable way. Rule of thumb 4x power = 2x brightness

The spartan that Dragonlasers offers is a rebrand of CNI's PGL-III-M portable unit, which use these PGL-H modules inside.

Seppl

Thank you very much for the extensive information.
That helps a lot.

Now off to working the solids in SolidWorks :D

@badboybilly
Do you have any dimensions of the module you bought? The more detailed the better. I'm thinking about planning to build a custom host for that module, too. But I'll need to do some planning beforehand.

Edit: Oh and, was the module any cheaper than the whole laser would have been?

Hi buddy!

If you do 26mm your module will be loose and rattle it needs to be 25.7mm for a nice snug fit, And your module length is 100mm from IR filter to end of lens and then you will need an extra 30mm for your collimating lens, Good luck buddy hope that helps, here is something that can definatly help,

I have some great news for anyone planning on building there own Custom 589,
Obviously some may already know but for those that don’t these modules fit those lightsabres perfectly and there are many different types available on eBay and elsewhere, as you will see in the pic, this is awsome since I probably am the only one with a custom lathe built host 589, These sabers are much nicer looking than a spartan or PGL in my opinion, And the PGL,s module sits on threads witch is not good for heatsinking, The sabres are perfect fit just perfect no rattle nothing exactly to size, I hope there are some awsome 589,s coming soon from you guys, DL will ship just the module and collimating lens on its own if that’s what you want!

Also same price for just the module however he will ship a PGL housing seperately if you want it!

Attachments

• GtYnRkk.jpg
    GtYnRkk.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 30
  • kE1wd8Q.jpg
    kE1wd8Q.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 47
  • MCeRvHM.jpg
    MCeRvHM.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 43
  • g4mtNa2.jpg
    g4mtNa2.jpg