Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anybody else never gotten an efficient diode?

IsaacT

Just wondering if there are any other people who, like me, never get efficient diodes. I mean...I had a 9mm Diode @ 2.1A putting out less than 2W. And the output didn't look weird or anything. At 300mA, my PL520 does less than 70mW. At 450mA, my S06J does less than 400mW compared to a build I bought from Cheech226, whose diode did over 500mW when I received it. Just wondering if the efficient diodes do exist or if it is just me.

Thanks,
Isaac

They are anomalies.

They are not so normal.

There is a bell curve where diodes will fit.

Some are on the left of the curve, some are on the right.

Most are near the middle.

The ones on the right get all the attention - and appear to be more common than the average diode - though its not true.

I've read somewhere that nichia 9mm diodes have ranks. Some seller on ebay posted a datasheet that said Rank A - 1000~1500mW, Rank B - 1500~1600mW, something like that... 'till rank D IIRC. I've looked into that a few times and didn't find it again :thinking:

Maybe it has some correlation with your thread, but for 9mm blues.

Things

LED's are usually binned by efficiency, it's possible laser diodes are too, however seeing as we're not getting these from the manufacturers themselves, we have no way of knowing.

Just wondering if there are any other people who, like me, never get efficient diodes. I mean...I had a 9mm Diode @ 2.1A putting out less than 2W. And the output didn't look weird or anything. At 300mA, my PL520 does less than 70mW. At 450mA, my S06J does less than 400mW compared to a build I bought from Cheech226, whose diode did over 500mW when I received it. Just wondering if the efficient diodes do exist or if it is just me.

Thanks,
Isaac

Diodes I get unless I buy a laser with a specified out put always seem to be less lpc826 at 400ma 200 mw
a 12xay 450ma 385mw
and m140 stuff always seems to be 1300/1500 driven at 1.8 a.
seems to make a difference the better quality the batteries and of course the lens.
I had one exceptional diode m140 from dtr that does over 2w with a g2

Last edited:

IsaacT

I tested them with my 365 Scientech LPM AND my LaserBee A 2W LPM when I still owned it.

I happens. Most of the M140 diodes I've had have been underperformers. However the only S0J6 diode I've ever used put out 700mW @ 450mA. So you win some you lose some, just comes down to luck.

IsaacT

Well, still waiting on my MS-SSW host to come in the mail so I can try out my new 9mm Diode, hopefully Luck decides to be a Lady and not the whor* she usually is.

You should remember that some of those postings were jacked up with the unit being chilled in one way or the other. I remember a thread where I questioned the output on a 12x myself and through PMs I found out that the results were from heavy chilling even with a freak to begin with.

ped

Also, a lot of the time, I'm sure the higher efficiency diodes are cherry picked by sellers for their own builds, or to sell at a premium, so we don't get to see them.

IsaacT

Jesus just tell me how much I gotta pay to NOT get an underperformer. I would rather make one goddamn laser and have it turn out awesome, than make 10 mediocre ones!!! And to think I thought it was random. Luck of the draw, as they say. Frankly I am a little dissapointed. If you are going to cherry pick and sell at alternate prices, be up front about it so people don't waste tons of their damn money trying to "luck out on one". Kind of irritated here.

I can tell you on his own words that DTR does NOT do this. I think he has repeated this more than once and I for one believe him.

I can tell you on his own words that DTR does NOT do this. I think he has repeated this more than once and I for one believe him.

Yes I agree with this.
I have hade a real good 140 off him.
Also it would take some settin up to test every single diode .
I feel that the NORM is an average of the good and the poor.. so most are average

Last edited:

ped

I have to agree that DTR doesn't do it.
I had one bad diode off him, and countless good ones.