Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Annoyed!!

I am a band geek who loves R/C things and lasers

My wife calls me a nerd. . . and then says, "Why are your hobbies so expensive?"

Last edited:

vk2fro

My mum when my new argon arrived: "why on earth do you want that for".

me: "Its a project mum, I get to build the power supply to run the head".

26 years later on facebook after posting up pics of the LaserPhysics argon: mum "Hope you dont trip your circuit breaker with that one". She remember I tripped the breaker on several occasions back at home with the NEC :)

My brother saw my ion laser and thought it was cool, my sister didnt really have much interest, but she liked the colour.

I liked the night me and several radio buddies were camping and one buddy produced a red laser pointer, to which another said "thats a whimpy little laser LOL this ones heaps stronger", and produced what I assumed was about a 20 mw green.

I said "nah those things are just toys. Heres a real laser!", and produced my TR801 encased 1W 445, and proceeded to light up a ciggie with it. Both jaws dropped LOL :)

After a quick saftey breifing, they both had a good play with the 445, trying to burn things around the camp site (bark, leaves, etc etc). Both are gun heads, so it was easy to explain saftey to them. "treat it like your pistols fella's, dont point that at anyone. Too dangerous"

Its like any niche hobbies. When my non radio friends see my radio, they go "why on earth do you want a CB for? I thought they went out in the 80's". I usually tune it into the cops, that usually changes their tune.

Last edited:
I am a band geek who loves R/C things and lasers

My wife calls me a nerd. . .

Actually ran across a female laser nerd this weekend (first time ever, and I go out A LOT), she works with lasers in a lab, blue hair, formula tattooed on her arm... actually a bigger geek than me:p

Showed her a 1.4W kryton and she goes, "your lasers are crap, look at the divergence." We had a very fun chat.

Shame she's older and has a bf... could have been interesting though.

Anyway, just goes to show you, once in a while people will show up who share the same interests.

lol know one thinks my lasers are as cool as i do

i bets its cause ive made em so i think there even more awesome.........ya know?

vk2fro

Showed her a 1.4W kryton and she goes, "your lasers are crap, look at the divergence." We had a very fun chat.

At least she knew what she was speaking about and pointed out the issue - I'd rather get someone telling me of a fault in my design than someone just says "thats dumb" or "what use is it?" etc

At least she knew what she was speaking about and pointed out the issue - I'd rather get someone telling me of a fault in my design than someone just says "thats dumb" or "what use is it?" etc

Was talking to another girl later in the night, also showed her the laser, and of course got the typical response "that's weird, what do you use it for."

vk2fro

haha yep I dont take mine out of the house except when I go bush - having one in your possession is illegal here without a good reason to have it. If I produced it at say the pub, I'd find a policeman arresting me fairly quickly if I shone it around.

Most of my friends are into geeky stuff like lasers, some not as much as others, but they always show some interest when a new project surfaces.

^^^I'm usually pretty careful and only keep the laser on for a very short time... to avoid problems.

I did have a couple of cops stop me, but they were more curious than anything else, actually sent them here to learn:)

LaZeRz

So far everyone I've met has been amazed. Probably to do with the fact that lasers are strictly banned from importing :p

family member said: you point that in my eye and i will smash it
my response: how will you smash it if you can't see?

also got the usual you are crazy/nuts, going to blind yourself etc

OP I know your pain. My lasers were locked in my car for about 4 weeks because my dad hates them so much he threw a (Get them out or I throw you out fit) over a melted shower curtain which was not even laser related (hair Straightener related).

I would say it partially has sonthibg to do with misunderstanding, money, and the media. What I mean is... The media portrays lasers to be these evil weapons of mass distruction and makes pointers look like super dangerous weapons. That combined with the fact that if you tried to explain to someone who knows nothing about them and "does not care" it creates a problem. Money makes people who want your best interest get upset because lets face it. This hobby is freeking EXPENSIVE!

So really its all just a big misunderstanding and some people just don't care. Its kind of like dogs... pitbulls for example... they are such good dogs but alot of people hate them because of what the media says.... just don't worry about what other people say and enjoy the hobby :)

You could tell her you want to start polishing diamonds :crackup:

Thats a good one, I will have to look into that :D

I have come across some people who are pretty amazed by how powerful a laser pointer can be and then I tell them I built it and their jaws drop even lower.

Its kind of like dogs... pitbulls for example... they are such good dogs but alot of people hate them because of what the media says.... just don't worry about what other people say and enjoy the hobby :)

Oh boy, here we go again...
:whistle: :D