Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A goodbye with sadness from Kenom

Status
Not open for further replies.

3zuli

I wish you good luck and come back soon! :beer:
and now, what's gonna happen with the kryton GB?

I worked 20 yrs in the resturant biz.. NOBODY liked being the dishwasher. many start out good but soon the honeymoon- I call it is over- coming late or not at all is the norm.

With very few exceptions they either go away OR if they show on time -every day and do just a fair job-- they get promoted to prep cook- then to line cook - then to assit Kit. manager and so on--

I know one guy(with very limited english) who went from DW to owner of a small place in 4 yrs --point is--if you walk into a resturant early in the day- ready to go to work NOW they just may fire the worthless DW and give you a shot---been there and done that a few times..

.I would say-- 'just hire me for the day or part time so i can show you how hungry I am'-- no time let pride get in the way of survival. arrive early-stay alittle late and take a 5 min shorter lunch break than you are alloted.

we have a saying-- 'If you have time to lean-you have time to clean' any DW who asks the boss--I got all the pots cleaned and put up.---any cleaning you need done? They got a big gold star on thier chart-- people got to eat all over the world-- there is a job for a good kitchen worker any where you go--most have some kind of health ins, paid vacation and a free meal every day. the floors, walk-in, shelves, dry storage, bathrooms etc always need cleaning and straightening up-- nobody likes to do inventory-don't try to change the way they do things- just be eager to help any way you can..

Keep on good terms with everybody- especially waitresses and waiters and those who have been there a long time--if you smoke do it after work(both kinds) non smokers always have a problem with this as they do not want or take 'smoke breaks'= keep your self and your areas super clean wash your hands A LOT and keep the promotion in mind-offer to work the days and times that nobody wants- let the other employees know that if they need you to work a shift for them just ask.

- if better job comes up be sure to give a good two week notice--never burn any bridges. No experience is needed to get a DW job--and its all up from there as the is no lower except unemployed. good luck --chin up----<(*U*)>---- Len

Kenom

Wow. I don't real know what to say. Good luck kenom, and I hope to see you back soon.

Don't worry about my Kenometer for the time being. Stay Safe Ken

Rob, there is no way that I'll let the meter go for the time being. I owe it to you and you will get it. I pay my debts even if it takes some time to do so.

I really am sorry to hear this, Ken - I know we haven't had much contact, but your posts have always been interesting and worthwhile, and your services to the community invaluable. I don't know how the benefits system works over there, what kind of a fall-back is there for you?

Have you considered opening up your designs for any of your products, in return for a "licensing fee" or donation on the part of the builder? I don't know if an honours-based system would work, but if it did, it'd be a small but constant stream of income. Maybe a suggested donation of $25 per build that uses your design? Many people would have local machinists able to build from drawings, and if someone in the future wanted to do a production run similar to yours, then they take the financial risk, and you get the license fees nonetheless. For the Kenometer, you could sell the schematic, PCB layouts and component values, firmwares and similar, in return for a donation that helps towards your R&D costs. That way, more people benefit from the design, you make profit, have no financial outlay, and derivative designs become much easier, especially if derivatives are sold/made available in the same way. For example, my LED torch derived from the Kryton style works very well indeed, I'd have been happy to pay for the original drawings and plans, it would have made compatibility with my Kryton bodies easier (as-is, I used a wider ID for the driver section, and my batteries are a loose fit compared with the Kryton's slick fit), and for the Kenometer, if someone wanted a portable one, they could buy your plans, make the modifications, and re-submit them to your site, so that anyone could build a KenoPortable after buying the original design and modification.

The only way this would be negative is if somebody started selling the design en masse without donating, or made many after only paying for one copy of the design - though I'd hope that the forum would boycott anyone doing this. Perhaps an automated list of who has donated, and how many copies, would ensure that the system works. I'd be happy to put this together for you if you think the scheme would be a good idea, but I'd understand fully if you wanted to keep the designs entirely your own (As I understand it, MM made the firmware for Kenometer?).

Let me know if this'd help you.

I agree with laserbee. While the idea sounds good in theory, the likelyhood of me actually seeing honest folks giving in a proportional setup would be pretty much impossible.

I know I already posted my condolences in this thread.
I just want to point out that you dont have to become homeless, unless you let it happen. Billings Mo is a pretty big city, you should be able to find a job, even if it's at a fast food joint. Use the local paper or craigslist.com to find a room for rent. I looked at the craigslist in your area. I found a few adds with people looking for room mates. $350 pr month is what they start out at. Working at even a mcdonalds can cover that.

Just start doing all the foot work now. Dont wait until it's too late. Call every one you know friends family even your enemys. Dont be afraid to ask for help. Even if you dont ask evrey one you talk to for help. They may offer you help, by just knowing your situation.

I wish you all the best kenom. I'm still going to wait until you get squared away. So you can pull off your kryton group buy. I know you can pull it off someday soon:)

if I still lived in billings, I would have more resources and help available to me. however I no longer live in Billings. I'm in Bozeman now and I hate pretty much everything about this town. Everyone is very condescending, stuckup, and judgmental. I won't be giving up as I've got two kiddos who are relying on me to provide for them and keep them safe.

The outpouring of this forum never ceases to amaze me. we truly have some fantastic people here.

Last edited:

Asherz

Sad to hear about your position Kenom, I really hope you pull out of it soon.

You've got a 100 or so forum members behind you, rememeber your not on your own :)

Wow, My condolences... Like Tech_Junkie said, you will bounce back.

I too have been there, more than once. Good luck!

@ Reply #50...

^^^ A lot of common sense in that ^^^

And the same "go getter" attitude can be used for any job....:cool:

Jerry

Last edited:
I'm in Bozeman now and I hate pretty much everything about this town. Everyone is very condescending, stuckup, and judgmental. I won't be giving up as I've got two kiddos who are relying on me to provide for them and keep them safe.

Move to NY! I can help you find a place here :)

Ken, you're a really cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything, you know that right?

internet-bro-fist.jpg

I'm wish you great success.

Benm

I'm very sorry to hear all this... and really hope that you'll be able to find a way of keeping a roof over your head within the month left.

Wo Kenom,

Sad to hear of your current trials and tribulations. Life is indeed a c*nt sometimes. If it's any consolation, looking back, even the times I lived on the street turned out to be opportunities in the end. I started whole new careers that way, even when things seemed the bleakest. You will muddle through, and you'll keep it together for your kids' sake. They are your greatest treasure and all the motivation you'll ever need. I know exactly how easy it is to take on so much that you finally just have to walk away as the Hindenburg of your commitments burns at the mast. Been there, done that. This is a good decision you're making. Simplify your life and re-assess what's really important. Put all your effort there and forgo these distractions until you're sitting pretty again and can afford the time it takes.

Those of us with Kenometers will never forget you and will always hold you in high regard.

Godspeed Kenom, and to paraphrase Jerry... "later"

CC

It's very offensive. Especially beating someone while they are down. I think C0ld would have to add something to the website that will show who the person is ... similar to the option for polls, you know where you can show who voted

Status
Not open for further replies.