Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

8X Diode Murder fund

The wall is actually one of the things in my office at work that I like to burn with my 8X when people aren't bugging me. That and the desk...and my pens, and documents and pretty much everything in here actually.

do people in your office get scared when they see your lasers?

Not so much, They get upset when I burn their work boots though. Most of the people in this office have a 100mW star tipped pen style green from Rayfoss. I've bought about 20 of them to sell to co-workers over the last year. They are only around 75mW+/-10mW though so most of them can't burn me back.

HIMNL9

^ ..... until someone of them discover the existence of 500 or more mW ones ..... :p :D

Not so much, They get upset when I burn their work boots though. Most of the people in this office have a 100mW star tipped pen style green from Rayfoss. I've bought about 20 of them to sell to co-workers over the last year. They are only around 75mW+/-10mW though so most of them can't burn me back.

LOL... What kind of profit do you make a unit?

Have we decided on a test current for the second 8x? Mine's currently set to 330mA, but I'm curious as to whether we can set them higher. What's the update on the progress with the second 8x diode?

daguin

Have we decided on a test current for the second 8x? Mine's currently set to 330mA, but I'm curious as to whether we can set them higher. What's the update on the progress with the second 8x diode?

The entire discussion is included in this thread. Go back a bit and read through.

Peace,
dave

IgorT

These are the last (for now?) degradation plots of the first 8x Murder Experiment diode, which i stopped at 150h last week (i know i should probably have uploaded them sooner, but upgrading the torture chamber seemed like a higher priority)...

150h PI Degradation Plots:

attachment.php

150h Efficiency Degradation Plots:

attachment.php

Diode Stats:

Ith = 36mA
Po @300mA = 312.5mW
(87.78% of initial)
Differential Efficiency = 1.183mW/mA
Absolute Efficiency = 17.29% Avg. / 17.54% Peak

Degradation slowed down again during the last 30h. Sometimes it's faster, other times slower, i don't see a pattern as to how or why the rate of degradation would change like this. Perhaps CHP's plots can shed more light on this part of the diode's behavior.

In any case, this is it for now for Murder Candidate #1 (LG 8x #3).

Next up, the Zero Hour plot of Murder Candidate #2 (LG 8x #1), and pics of the renovated Torture Chamber.

Attachments

• 150h 8x #3 P-I Degradation Plot.PNG
    150h 8x #3 P-I Degradation Plot.PNG
    79.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 150h 8x #3 Efficiency Degradation Plot.PNG
    150h 8x #3 Efficiency Degradation Plot.PNG
    73.8 KB · Views: 213
330ma sounds good, a conservitive step forward that wont end this experiment in an hour, and its relatible to the first experiment.

CHP

Here is the latest degradation plot that includes the 150 hour data. I had to rescale the y-axis to include 0.8 - 1.0. This is still a log-log plot.

Attachments

• las150hr.jpg
    las150hr.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 87
Igor;

So operating current to maintain peak power, only increased 13% over 150 hours ...

of powering the diode @ 150% of peak power (300ma/200ma).

Looks like we had quite a bit of life left.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

HIMNL9

^ i hope you are not complaining about this ..... (J/K :D)

Anyway, at least we know that this is a good possibility (50%), also if from a single unit on test ..... can be a damn bloody freak (sorry for the bad language :p), but we can also hope that all the rest are the same, at least.

Need to wait for the result of the second test, for try to plot a comparision curve (not for the value, if it become tested at higher current, but at least for the trend and curve shape, for try to understand if the data came from a freak or if is in the range of all ones)

IgorT

The renovations of the Torture Chamber are complete!

I had to rewire everything and give the counters a new power supply, move things around a "bit", to make it all fit at all, but it worked out in the end. :yh:

I just finished testing it and making sure that everything will work exactly as it should. The new diffusers work great, and will make testing for degradation easier and faster, as the beams won't have to be defocused during cycling (before, smoke would come out of the sensor if the beam was parallel) - i will only have to measure changes to the peak power, and do a re-plot if a big enough change becomes noticable...

This will reduce the amount of unnecessary re-plotting and with less down-time, we can get more testing done faster!

Here is the "new and improoved" Diode Torture Chamber for the Double Murder Experiment:
attachment.php

And the Zero-Hour plots of the second 8x murder candidate:
attachment.php

attachment.php

I have already posted the individual plot of the second murder candidate, but that was a simple pre-testing plot. The "Zero-Hour" plots (as well as all the later degradation plots) are done with a higher accuracy, to better show what is going on, as the diode degrades.

Anyway, now i just need to know the current for the 8x and the power for the 12x, and the Double Murder Experiment can begin!

Attachments

• Diode torture Chamber v2.1.JPG
    Diode torture Chamber v2.1.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 0h 8x #1 PI Plot.PNG
    0h 8x #1 PI Plot.PNG
    70.3 KB · Views: 336
  • 0h 8x #1 Efficiency Plot.PNG
    0h 8x #1 Efficiency Plot.PNG
    69.6 KB · Views: 346
Last edited: