Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm Goggles

mfo

Feeler: Protection goggles for new 445nm diodes

Hello everyone. With the new wave of 445nm diodes hitting the market, I think we need to add a new set of goggles to our collection, especially considering these diodes can be pushed to 1W! Here's the goggles I had in mind.

Laser Glasses - UV to Green Lasers Protection 190-548nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

Going by the graph they provided, these things have an Optical Density of >4, which should be adequate protection for these diodes.

To get this group buy going, I'm thinking we should at least get 10 orders, however, I'd like to get 15 orders. Here's how the prices work as of right now.

attachment.php

The shipping would very steep @ $18.00 for just one set of shades.

Now, with 15 orders...

attachment.php

Shipping drops down to $3.66 per shade, + the cost of US shipping (I'm going to see if these things fit inside of a small flat rate box for $5 each.)

So again, as of right now the only benefit to this potential GB is the shipping savings of about $10. Now, I emailed Frank (Owner of DL) to see if this bulk order would be eligible for a bulk discount. Do note that since I am a previous customer, you're automatically seeing a discount of .75¢ per shade. If you guys are interested, let me know. At this point in time, this is just a feeler and hopefully Frank will hook us up depending on how big of an order we submit. Thanks.

People interested:
mfo : 1
jmgallego: 2
sem020106 : 5

Minimum needed: 15

I'm still waiting to see what extelon has to say about his potential GB from OEM lasers.

Attachments

• chart_1.png
    chart_1.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,440
  • chart_2.png
    chart_2.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,512
Last edited:

Re: Feeler: Protection goggles for new 445nm diodes

Good call mfo! Goggles are absolutely REQUIRED to use these diodes. They are not optional. These diodes are "heat cannons" to quote a wise young englishman, so they will burn skin and retinal tissue instantly.

Can I just use the $8 focalprice antigreens which block blu ray too? they might block 445 nm as well :D

Trevor

I'm definitely potentially interested, but was also looking at OEM Laser Systems.

I'm contemplating the potential success of a GB with them... :thinking:

-Trevor

Burnsy

Can I just use the $8 focalprice antigreens which block blu ray too? they might block 445 nm as well :D

They'll also work BUT specular reflection might become dangerous!
I've seen videos from a 1W green laser in font of a LPM. A cheap pair of protection glasses was put in front of it -so all light was blocked but after only about 1sec the laser burnt trough the glasses.

So when you point on mirrors and glass etc. these cheap protection glasses might become relative quickly unsecure :yabbmad:

mfo

I don't see why not, I mean they're your eyes. Just make sure you choose wisely.

I'm definitely potentially interested, but was also looking at OEM Laser Systems.

I'm contemplating the potential success of a GB with them... :thinking:

-Trevor

Link me, I want to see prices. I'm really not into shelling out one of my organs to pay for these things.

I would *not risk my vision with that.

Btw i already own a pair of these DL google, they comfy and can fit under regular vision glasses.

Last edited:

mfo

Update:

Frank e-mailed me back and said that his boss said they can't provide us with a discount because these glasses are priced cheap enough so that they barely make a profit. Here's the quote from my e-mail.

Hi Chris,

Just heard back from my boss and unfortunately I can't offer you a discount
for laser safety glasses. The reason for that is that we basically don't
make a profit from the glasses which we make and sell for our customers.

Even with out discounts you should still find that our glasses are your best
choice for value and quality. Buying them in bulk will reduce shipping costs
a lot so you still get a great deal. I've listed below prices that includes
both the glasses and shipping.

10 pairs $294.90

15 pairs $429.85

20 pairs $564.80

So you are looking at around $28 to $29 a pair for those quantities.

Cheers
Frank
Green Laser,Laser Beam Optics,Laser Safety Glasses : Dragon Lasers

So, the prices stand as is. I still think it's a pretty good deal and I'm still down to get this GB going if you guys are.

Also, his prices are a few dollars more than I quoted because he didn't factor in the discount I get automatically since I'm a previous customer. So, my original prices stand.

Anyone got 6% discount? pherhaps we could save more cents...

HIMNL9

@Grix: these are the same from Focalprice, that i used in a review with some tests.

They block both 532 and 405, but is always better test them also with one of these diodes, especially considering the power ..... anyway, there's a good 90%, imho, that they are effective also with 455nm ;)

Since I'm planning to have my 445 nm diode output <200 mW, I don't see why I can't use the focalprice goggles. Yes I know I have 1 pair of eyes, but first I want to see if my current goggles will work.

Grix