Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm Diode Macros

Got this 445nm Diode from Dave. Enjoy.:D

P7120543.jpg

P7120548.jpg

P7120551.jpg

P7120553.jpg

P7120569.jpg

P7120571.jpg

Great Macros, and great De Canning! Could never get my hand steady enough to just cut through the can :tinfoil:

~Jeremy

Great pics! Too bad a pic of it lasing would overexpose it. Hmm an ND filter or two & very bright illumination for the die? :thinking:
If you ever have one LED on you take pics!

Great macros! What did you use to take them with?

My weapon of choice is my Canon 50D + EF-S 60 Macro :D

wow. -- You wouldn't happen to have the full resolution or some 1:1 crops around would you? (Or are these already...) -- would be really interesting to see a comparison between this 445 and say a 12x 405.

Superb photos, its wild to think ~1W of laser light can come out of such a small device.
Just out of curiosity, what did you use to de-can this diode.

Wow, nice pics! It does still work right?
The Diode still works after de-can, but this one is zombie from Dave.

Great macros! What did you use to take them with?

My weapon of choice is my Canon 50D + EF-S 60 Macro :D

Olympus Stylus 1010 on small tripod.:yh:

wow. -- You wouldn't happen to have the full resolution or some 1:1 crops around would you? (Or are these already...) -- would be really interesting to see a comparison between this 445 and say a 12x 405.
These were already cropped using the feature in the camera.
Superb photos, its wild to think ~1W of laser light can come out of such a small device.
Just out of curiosity, what did you use to de-can this diode.
I put the poor thing on the Lathe and cut out the can using parting blade:eg:
Thorlabs sell a tool to de-can diode as well.

A lathe is probably the most expensive de-caning tool ive ever heard of :crackup:

I de-can my diodes by putting the diode in reverse in the module like in the OP, and then use a knife to saw all the way around the can by hand. I stop every now and then to blow away any metal dust with a small air pump, and finally when the can is removed. This is risky, I only do it if I have to. Though overall it is actually pretty easy, as long as you pay attention to what you're doing.

^ Nice, ill have to try that the next time i need to decan a diode. Ive only done it once,
and that was only because the window had fallen loose and was skewing the ouput.
I managed to open up the front of the window with the tip of a knife so that i could use
my needle nose plyers to pull off the can. It was very risky but the diode turned out fine
and still works!

Really good ideas using a lathe to decan. I may try that sometime.

The pix of the 445 guts show 3 die wires from each side. 600 mA per wire from some other micro photos here is likely about right. Those pix show carbon traces :-(

HMike

would there be any change in performance by successfully decanning a diode?