Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3.1W 9mm 445 fan cooled handheld

Thanks for posting this. Very detailed with great photos. +rep for your clever design.

Alan

Zeebit

That's certainly lighter than the 1.7W. Why don't you include a small temp sensor since it already has a few fancy electronics added.

djQUAN

Thanks pi!

Zeebit, that's going to be a project for next time. I'll get a feel on how this performs if it will need the sensor since it will take a bit of work to fit in the handheld. The heatsink does get pretty warm but once you turn the laser off (fan still on) it goes to room temp in under 30sec

Tmack

All my 3w are a lighter shade of blue. The coler i get to 1w the more violet is in the beam.

djQUAN

Re: [Teaser pics, WIP] 9mm fan cooled handheld

Love to see how this turns out but slightly worried about the size of the heat sink. IMO its not large enough to handle a 9mm for more than 30sec on 60 off. Yes the area of the heatsink might be large but there isn't much material there.

I timed this a while ago. It's not going to break records on duty cycle but it's much longer than predicted. :beer:

60sec on (until the copper module becomes uncomfortably warm)
30sec off (heatsink back to room temp)

Since it's a momentary button operation, duty cycle shouldn't be a problem. :shhh:

Re: [Teaser pics, WIP] 9mm fan cooled handheld

I timed this a while ago. It's not going to break records on duty cycle but it's much longer than predicted. :beer:

60sec on (until the copper module becomes uncomfortably warm)
30sec off (heatsink back to room temp)

Since it's a momentary button operation, duty cycle shouldn't be a problem. :shhh:

The fan placement helps out a ton! Didn't realize it was going to be so close!

All my 3w are a lighter shade of blue. The coler i get to 1w the more violet is in the beam.

Maybe the emitter runs hotter (because of the die submount, diode base and the heatsink itself :p), so the wavelength drifts to higher values.

ARG

Nice build, would +rep again if I could :)
Clean job adding the fan in there, I quite like it.

Cant +rep you again, but I want to!

One idea, and I don't know what you will think of this, is to make your own star trek phaser like this-I say "make your own" because I am 99% sure what you have now wouldn't fit in one. I dunno, take it or leave it I guess-I am not sure what machining tools you have access to, but it would be a challenge for sure.

djQUAN

Thanks guys, I'm looking for a fan that can push a bit more air to maybe improve duty cycle a bit more :)

@crazyspaz I was actually thinking of adding a pistol grip underneath the laser ;) Won't actually look like a phaser but will be a sort of lazor gun haha

Is the fan pushing or pulling? Not sure how much heat the drivers and other electronics create, but I'm guessing not as much as the diode. If the fan is pushing, reverse the polarity and get it to pull clean air from the front of the laser. See how those duty cycles compare.

Just a thought in the event its pushing. Nice pictures. Where are you in the Philippines? My cousin and uncle live in IloIlo. Thanks for the updates....

Zeebit

Is the fan pushing or pulling? Not sure how much heat the drivers and other electronics create, but I'm guessing not as much as the diode. If the fan is pushing, reverse the polarity and get it to pull clean air from the front of the laser. See how those duty cycles compare.

Just a thought in the event its pushing. Nice pictures. Where are you in the Philippines? My cousin and uncle live in IloIlo. Thanks for the updates....

Uh no. Reversing the polarity of a DC brushless fan does not make it spin backwards and the blades are shaped so that it moves air in one direction. Reversing the spin wont move a useful amount of air.

Last edited:

djQUAN

It's pushing. It's more effective that way :)

Blowing to the front has the added advantage that when you're burning something, the air coming out the front also blows the smoke away from the lens.

I'm in Manila. If you decide to visit your relatives, let me know :beer:

djQUAN

Don't tempt me. :eg:

It would be hard to fit into a handheld though. Water cooled labby would be interesting.

Zeebit, I didn't think about the brushless factor. Thanks. The blades, I do sorta' understand.

LivinLoud, where is the like button for your post? Ha.

DJ, as you know Manila is a stop for any trip to PH. I'm actually working on a deal to hopefully deliver a plane to a resort there in early 2014. Never know! Might get a chance to see your collection in person.

Last edited: