Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W Sirius-1-C

DTR

2W Sirius-1-C

PVpe7O.jpg

I am thrilled to be the first to introduce the community to a new host builder. This is all started with a guy I have been talking with that bought some stuff off me on eBay and found he is skilled with both electronics and a lathe. Actually I have been talking with him and his wife. They are very much a tag team. She has an account here username DeadEYeMo. They showed me some of the custom hosts he has made and that really peaked my interest. This one is called the Sirius-1-C. He actually makes two versions of this host the Sirius-1 and the Sirius-1-C which has the copper head. I chose the copper one as it really looked sweet. Here is a picture from them with both units. The only thing that would make them look even better is a custom focus adapter. That will be next.

Host

I have to say I have been really anticipating this host and when I saw a large package in the mail I got really excited. Opened it up and there was a lot of bubble wrap and other packing material I had to wade through. I got though the jungle of packing material and found a nice little box wrapped up like a present on on Christmas morning.:san:

p1017482.jpg

p1017483.jpg

p1017484.jpg

p1017486.jpg

p1017487.jpg

I got it out and took a minute to check out the box before opening it and actually get this beast in my hands.:eg:

img2309se.jpg

p1017578.jpg

p1017582.jpg

p1017580.jpg

Host Version 2

p1018179.jpg

p1018180.jpg

p1018181.jpg

p1018182.jpg

p1018184.jpg

p1018200.jpg

p1018201.jpg

p1018185.jpg

p1018186.jpg

p1018187.jpg

Assembly

Alright now on to the fun stuff. For me at least.:D This is how this host breaks down. There is the head, heatsink, host body and tail cap. I also have a pair of 18350's and one of the prototype buck drivers that he made. It is capable of over 2A and is adjustable via a pot. Being a buck driver it when running a 445 instead of the extra voltage being dropped as heat it is turned into extra current so this unit ended up drawing 1.27A to put out 1.8A to the diode @ 8.2V.:D

zgmh.jpg

First thing I did was get a diode ready. I have one that I know is very efficient that was waiting for this build. I started by bending the case pin with the negative pin since the negative side on this driver is continuous like the flexdrive.

ep0lo.jpg

After bending it over I pretinned it to make a solid connection.
6vn7v.jpg

Next I soldered on leads and added shrink tubing.

yxssm.jpg

So now I need to get the module in the head. This host does not use a set screw but requires it to be press fit for maximum thermal transfer.

lya1.jpg

So I tucked the wires nicely inside the heatsink.

dcb1h.jpg

And I decided to use the big boy. A block of wood and a vice would work in a pinch but this was way more fun.:eg:

3psh.jpg

I have a diode removal tool from Flaminpyro that I will use the part that has the Aixiz lens threading on it to push the module in without taking the chance of the press or if I used wood to maul up the head and to slightly push the module past flush.

b1fe2c.jpg

Pressed it just a tad past flush as this is about perfect for the G-1.

c8077b.jpg

Next I set up one of his buck drivers. EDIT(I need to revise this part of the tutorial) This driver if you choose to use it can be very good but does require that you have more than just a casual knowledge of electronics and a test load as it is not a constant current driver. PM me or Mo for details.

Next I soldered the leads from the diode to the driver.

p1017525.jpg

Next I powered it up with my bench supply to make sure everything was working as desired. Got a peak of 2042mW and note that the current draw is only 1.27A to produce 1.8A. That is awesome since the build does require smaller capacity 18350's which should bring the capacity up closer to a dual flex with an 18650.

wuk7.jpg

Next I put the driver though the head and screwed the heatsink in.

iw45.jpg

Now the final step in building this unit is to connect the driver to the positive contact in the host.

hsgz.jpg

Got it soldered on and as you can see I left a little slack as there is no way to keep it from binding a little as I screw the two half's together.

iz8ut.jpg

Next I packed it down into the head and proceeded to screw it together.

kdy23.jpg

Now it is all together and I threw in the batteries and the build is complete.:wave:

t0ll.jpg

Beamshots

p1017604.jpg

p1018207.jpg

p1018205.jpg

p1018204.jpg

p1018197.jpg

p1018196.jpg

p1018193.jpg

p1018192.jpg

p1017571.jpg

p1017572.jpg

p1017570.jpg

LPM Test

This unit tested out with the G-1 lens and peaks just under 2.1W.:gun:

Here is a three minute run I did with this host. Less than 100mW drop over the run.

Conclusion

I think these hosts will be a welcome addition here. This is very well constructed custom unit and has a very detailed appearance. He really puts a great deal of time into each one I definitely recommend his work. If you have any questions about specs, pricing or availability please PM DeadEYeMo for details here on LPF. The only thing I see that I will need to keep and eye on is I have heard that fingerprints on copper is a killer so I assume the host will take a little upkeep. But other than that it is an amazing piece of work.

Thanks for reading my review. I hope you enjoyed it.:beer:

Last edited:

:drool: thats one of coolest hosts ive ever seen.
how much was the total cost of this build?

I'm sitting here with a open mouth. Now i will rub my eyes if i really saw that.

EDIT: ok, i dont dream, seams to be true.

Last edited:

jakeGT

Insane!

Your always so lucky toget to play with such cool hosts!

LaZeRz

Wow, just wow :D

That host looks beautiful! Especially with the copper accents, polishing and all of those fins :drool:

Goodjob to both of you's! :topic:

Wowowowowow!

That is one sweeeet host!

How much was the host and the build as a whole?

This is easily one of the most unique and beautiful hosts i've ever seen. This guy is going to be busy with requests!

LaZeRz

@DTR

It seems your using a thinner wire then you did on some of your earlier builds. The wires in the hotlight I bought of you are also a bit thinner... would you mind telling me what gauge and where you got the wire from? :D I think thinner wire would be good for compact builds that need as much headroom as they can get.

DTR

Glad you are all liking the review. It was awesome to have the opportunity to be the first to get one of these.:eg:

@DTR

It seems your using a thinner wire then you did on some of your earlier builds. The wires in the hotlight I bought of you are also a bit thinner... would you mind telling me what gauge and where you got the wire from? :D I think thinner wire would be good for compact builds that need as much headroom as they can get.

The wire is the same wire I have always used from Flaminpyro. It is a flexable, burn resistant 26 gauge wire.:beer:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-laser-parts-44733.html#post595334

p1017516.jpg

LaZeRz

I must be dreaming then :tired:

I could have swore that the wire in the hotlight I bought from you had thinner wire...

I have lots of that wire from FP :)

Last edited:

LaZeRz

It seems everyone is asking for the price, lol

If he wanted to tell you im pretty sure he would have by now :shhh:

Last edited: