Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW of green for $125 shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had a buy order for one of these for a while now thank god someone on PL linked me to this.
So jerry how did yours do after ir filtering?
Any one want to sell one used?

Last edited:

dnar

I have had a buy order for one of these for a while now thank god someone on PL linked me to this.
So jerry how did yours do after ir filtering?
Any one want to sell one used?

That was me :beer:

I ordered one yesterday, express shipping. I'll check it out for analog mod, I wish to fit a variable power adjustment to mine, as in some use I won't require such power.

ElektroFreak, you are the man! +1

I enquired with the seller re: shipping to Australia, in line with Ebay policy they are not permitted. However, I can order one directly and pay using PayPal!

Order sent!

Many many thanks, this is opportune given the death of my 200mW DX module recently, the scanner has not been the same with only 50mW...

PS, the seller was interested in how I found this, link to this thread supplied. I expect him to drop by and take a look.

Off-topic: That's interesting. I was always told by a service rep eBay policy was only against laser pointers and not labbies/lightshow units.

Modules and labbies get in fine with customs, and eBay allows those to be bought (anything not listed under Laser Pointers).

I've bought modules fine on eBay, and so has a couple of friends. Don't see why it won't work.

+1 to you dnar for linking me to this i cant wait to get these in my new scanner i can see it now 1watt of blue, 1 watt of red and 200mw of green oh what a perfect white beam i hope to have!

DTR

Ordered one of these as well. It looks to be a nice first labby. Cant wait to get it.:eg:

dnar

+1 to you dnar for linking me to this i cant wait to get these in my new scanner i can see it now 1watt of blue, 1 watt of red and 200mw of green oh what a perfect white beam i hope to have!
Gee, thanks and no worries bloke.

We only ask one thing in return, photos and video!!! (and beer).

Don't forget the beer.

dnar

Since these are TEC cooled, as long as you place it on a heatsink (thick metal plate, CPU heatsink) you should be good to run it at any ambient temp. The manual suggests not to run it more than 4 hours in hot environments, but the stability should be unaffected since the TEC keeps the diode at a constant temperature regardless of ambient temp. The problem with hot temperatures is that as the difference in temperature on each side of the TEC gets bigger, the TEC drive circuit needs to provide more and more power, eventually overloading and failing which can cause damage to the laser quickly in a hot environment.
Not quite true. What happens when the TEC/temp controller are pushed is the TEC gets hot on the cold side, then it runs away, while also heating the device your trying to cool!

The solution is to rate the heatsink/fan adequately and/or limit the max TEC drive current. TEC's are funny beats, their consumption varies with temp differential.

Not quite true. What happens when the TEC/temp controller are pushed is the TEC gets hot on the cold side, then it runs away, while also heating the device your trying to cool!

The solution is to rate the heatsink/fan adequately and/or limit the max TEC drive current. TEC's are funny beats, their consumption varies with temp differential.

I had tried using a large copper heatsink from an old computer directly on top of the laser module and in fact it ran too cool. It began to mode hop to TEM10, but shortly after removing the heatsink it returned to TEM00. The ambient temp is about 76 degrees Fahrenheit. It hasn't mode hopped since and I run it for about 2.5hrs. at a time. I think this is the perfect lab module for warmer climates, but of course the warmer the ambient temp the less on time would be recommended. No matter how long I have left it on though, at this ambient temp the module has never gotten over 78 degrees F. The output is remarkable stable as well, any minor fluctuations are not even noticeable to the eye.

dnar

Sounds good! I can't wait, min is in transit! Thanks for sharing.

Just received the laser . Bit of dumb question but do i just affix the ir filter against the glass lens after removing the front metal cover of the laser block and can i just tape it against the lens? (centrally of course)
Thanks for advice..

Last edited:
You'll want to ensure that the IR filter is a clean as possible, and then you can affix it across the opening through which the beam exits in the front metal cover.

Got it Elektro, thanks for the quick reply.. i am new to this and only have a Nova X series 100 Mw Green and a DX true 50 Mw Green but i thought i might see what i can learn with a few diffraction grids and and other stuff ( safety goggles included)

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that since those IR filters are very small it's important to affix it using as small of an amount of adhesive (2-part epoxy or caulk) as possible to avoid a mess. Be patient and let the adhesive set completely before reattaching the front cover plate.

Just received the laser and the tiny IR filter i ordered from the link provided. Bit of dumb question but do i just affix the ir filter against the glass lens after removing the front metal cover of the laser block and can i just tape it against the lens? (centrally of course)
I notice that the beam has more of a scatter to it when shining through the filter, is that normal? Thanks for advice..

I would recommend mounting the IR filter at a 45 degree angle to the beam. This will eliminate any back reflections and will also reduce any scatter. All of the 532nm modules I have dissected have the filter mounted at 45 degrees and most filters/dicros are meant to be mounted this way. As E.F. has recommended, make sure the filter is as clean as possible. I use a lens cleaner from cvs pharmacy that is safe for all glass and acrylic lenses and the disposable wipes that come with it, I do not recommend micro-fiber cloths they tend to leave micro streaks that become amplified by the light passing through. Good luck to you!:yh:

dnar

I am waiting for a knock on the door! Only 5 days since ordering! Fast!
Code:
<Tour of China removed>
2010-08-16  11:25:00  	COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA MELB EMS   	Arrival at Sorting Center  
2010-08-16  11:26:00 	COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA MELB EMS  	Handed over to Customs  
2010-08-16  11:33:00 	COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA MELB EMS  	Released from Customs  
2010-08-17  00:08:00 	COMMENWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA PERTH BG RET  Released from Customs