Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

!!!1W of purple!!! Lighthound 2xAA (14500) 405nm 12X Handheld Minitorch

Holy crap-o-la it's higher out of the box, OK you have to tell me now Where did you get that 405 LD ????

I think you can make this work with a little shielding :thinking:

Holy crap-o-la is right, I was surprised too!! :eek:

This 12x was pulled from one of a couple sleds I ordered from scopeguys BDR-S06J GB :D Please let me know what you're thinking on the shielding idea you mentioned:thinking:

:beer:

Last edited:

Well first your going to have to buy about 3000sq feet of copper screen :crackup: and then cover all the walls and floor and ceiling of that room your in and then your
going to need 10ea 8 foot long copper coated steel ground rods driven in at least 7'6" into the ground all around that room and connected with some
No.#8 gauge wire to 10 spots evenly placed around the room, don't forget to make a door way so you can get in :crackup:
And that should take care of the problem ;)

Seriously get some tin foil and cover the inverter and ground it to the negative side of the supply and cover anything else you can that has to do with 90 volts 400hz.
of course you can not cover the EL wire it's self with tin foil but get every thing else you can.

If you do it in steps like the inverter first maybe that will be as for as you have to go.

just keeping the two circuits apart as far as you can could help.

Also shielding the components of the LPM can help also but it's shielding must stay separate from the shielding of the 400 Hz.

for the EL wire if you have to go this far, you can tape it on the inside wall with some 1/2 wide copper tape like what is used for stain glass window work.
Tape it to the inside wall and solder a wire to the tape at one end first and ground the wire to the negative side of the supply.

In addendum it is normal to connect the shielding to the negative side of the supply, but sometimes it works if the shielding is floating or not connected to anything.

I'll send you some zirconium foil if you want ;)
Hope this gives you some ideas :beer:

Last edited:
Hey folks, I just finished this last night for a customer. Check this out.....

Coby

Seconded, me want too.

I fear though, would 1W of 405 be too dangerous to play with uranium marbles and GITD stuff? Right now I have a 41mW penstyle 405 for my pictures but I'd really like a more powerful one :)

Edit: and with too dangerous I mean, would the reflected light from inside the marbles be too strong to look at?

Last edited:
Thats awesome-- +2 when I can-- just like the reds you cant get too much 405...hak

man! how did you get 2 of these? 1 watt of single mode 405 is just crazy! what does the diode do at say 500ma?

Thanks again guys!!!

I wish I could predict or determine the outcome on some of these 12x builds to say 'YES, 1W of 405 is no problem!' - but truth be told there is no secret that I am not sharing. If you knew how many S06Js I've killed from pushing them too far trying to get close to 1W you'd probably think to yourself 'yup he's just crazy on those diodes' :p

I honestly used to think that we were just being a little too easy on the 405s with pushing them around 500-600ma, so I decided to push several of them a little harder to form my own opinion & see where they'd measure out. While I would consider the outcome on some of these 'pure luck' that made the 1W marker - it's been a costly process to say the least because of how many I've burnt out :crackup:

I've told several people this now, I have a love/hate relationship with 12x 405s... I love the color, it's my favorite in the spectrum - but I hate the losses I've personally suffered from AND that some customers have had to deal with from pushing higher outputs on some of these ;)

Cheech - 500ma puts out around 700-750mw with a G lens and 2 batteries. Using the right driver is key though, if I went with a single battery driver (~4Vin) on these I'd probably get around 600mw at best with a 500ma setting. Using 2 batteries with that extra voltage though, always ups the output a good 100-150mw+ :D

i remember rhd had a thread about giving these diodes enough volts. i share your love/hate with these guys, i've killed more than a few but i just love the color and power you can get from them. i'm running an x-boost with one cell (imr 18350) right now in my phobos. my diode may be voltage starved?

my diode may be voltage starved?

I'd have to know more about the driver & its voltage range to answer that accurately, but if the driver allows using 2 cells as well as just 1 - you should see an increase with your output when doubling the Vin :beer:

Last edited:
just to let you know my powerlight b50 S06J is dead at 600 ma after three months :angel:; i didn't use it frequently.
If DTR recommend under 450 ma , there must be a reason

Wow, you must spend hours to do this. It's hard work. Like the pictures.

You got that right, thanks man!

just to let you know my powerlight b50 S06J is dead at 600 ma after three months :angel:; i didn't use it frequently.
If DTR recommend under 450 ma , there must be a reason

Sure there's a good reason, 450ma is an average power setting and enough current for a nice 600mw 12X. Most of these diodes can handle that current for a long time with a good duty cycle, I generally recommend the same thing. That doesn't mean these can't be pushed harder though, I've burnt out a lot of these diodes learning that & the laser in this thread is an extreme exception ;)

Last edited:

gillza

That diode of yours must be a sure freak. I have pushed my 405 up to 750mA and am only getting ~980mW output. So yes there is a risk in running it well above the specified output, but if it works it works. ...just test the diode with the LPM and power supply before sticking it in the host with preset driver.

Last edited:
750ma!?!? :eek:

That's insane! My 1W in this thread isn't even 700ma, you should get more than 980mw at 750ma's - but I'm amazed you're pushing that much current in the first place!