Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x BR DIODES

Hey Larry, you're doing a plot test for the 3.6mm little open cans?

mfo;

I don't have a little open can Red (3.6 or 3.3mm).

If I can get a hold of one, I will test it.

I am testing lots of flat 3 & 4-pin Red diodes,
and some 5.6mm cans.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

daguin

mfo;
I don't have a little open can Red (3.6 or 3.3mm).
If I can get a hold of one, I will test it.
LarryDFW

Based on the "flow" of the conversation herein, it looked like you had just bought a 12X Blu-ray drive.

Peace,
dave

12X, already???
I must have been hiding under a rock these past few weeks... last I heard was that LPFers were busy torturing 8X diodes and now I'm seeing phasers on stun!!! :beer:

I'm a little surprised though that these 12X puppies aren't cruising @500mW+... :undecided: Are you all going easy on your expensive diodes or is that all she wrote?

daguin

12X, already???
I must have been hiding under a rock these past few weeks... last I heard was that LPFers were busy torturing 8X diodes and now I'm seeing phasers on stun!!! :beer:

I'm a little surprised though that these 12X puppies aren't cruising @500mW+... :undecided: Are you all going easy on your expensive diodes or is that all she wrote?

We do not know yet. There are some "internal" indicators that the 12X is different than the 8X, but externally/visually, they are identical. IgorT was just setting up to do the 12X murder run, when he fell ill.

Peace,
dave

jayrob

12X, already???

I'm definitely going easy on mine...

I just want it to last a while is all. I have mine set at 320mA's in my Phaser build. But it is still at 465mW's.

Which is much better than my 8X, which is giving 375mW's at 292mA's.

So looking at those two comparisons, it sure seems like a different diode to me! But I guess I could have a low efficiency 8X, and a nice 12X...

Either way, I'm plenty happy with 465mW! :cool: (no need to push it)

daguin

I built two identical 8X Krytons, using LG diodes and flexdrives at the same time.

Both flexdrives were set at 320mA.

One laser produced 412mW.

The other produced 495mW.

:wtf:

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Oh man! That's a huge difference...

Well, I paid less for my 12X than I did for my 8X, so I guess it's all good! :)

Strange that the same rated diode could give that big a difference in mW output set on the same current and voltage setting and both being 8x diodes!
Manufacturing must not be there just yet for quality control!

Strange that the same rated diode could give that big a difference in mW output set on the same current and voltage setting and both being 8x diodes!

"Quality control" is all relative. The quality control in place to even make these lasers at all is among the best quality control in the world already. It's just that with the tolerances we're working with here, making these things is one of the most difficult things to do in all of manufacturing. It's amazing these things even work at all, and the only reason they work is through excellent process control with extremely tight tolerances.

daguin

"Quality control" is all relative. The quality control in place to even make these lasers at all is among the best quality control in the world already. It's just that with the tolerances we're working with here, making these things is one of the most difficult things to do in all of manufacturing. It's amazing these things even work at all, and the only reason they work is through excellent process control with extremely tight tolerances.

You have to keep the variability in perspective as well. Just using "rough" numbers (average 450mW), the "range" is +-18%. If we use that range on a couple of other diodes we can see that we are already dealing with this sort of range in output. The numbers are just bigger because the output is bigger. The numbers below should illustrate that we already accept this same sort of range. We just call them "weak" or "hot" or "a freak" depending on how far to the extremes of the range the diode puts out.

PHR = 100mW average = 82mW-118mW
6X = 200mW average = 164mW-236mW
8X = 400mW average = 338mW-472mW
12X = 450mW average = 369mW-531mW

Peace,
dave

daguin

I know -- a double post again -- I'm just a post count horse ;)

I had my stuff out working on something else this morning and had some extra time, so I pulled out the 12X that has been waiting patiently for me to get to it.

Since IgorT is laid up and we are waiting on the murder test, I decided to go back to the old days and the old ways.

I just hit it with a higher current than we have so far.

Stretch out that graph ;)

BDR-205BKS diode
DDL driver
405-G-1 lens
MXDL 3405 host
Jayrob heat sink
3 @ 10440 batteries

425mA

12x-420mA-620mW.jpg

heheheheheheheheheheheheheeeeeee

Will it last? . . . . . . . . . We'll see. <shrug>

It feels like yesteryear :)

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Wow!

Just had to go over 600mW's huh Dave!

So that's not the first 8X that you had in that host at 512mW's correct? Or is it even the same host?

It's a 12X diode right?

Just double checking because you mentioned the 3405 with DDL, so I figured it was the driver and host/heatsink combo that you got from me for your first 8X...