Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.6W Ehgemus 14650 Pen Host W/Dual Flexdrives

Re: Ehgemus 14650 Pen Host -- 780mW 445nm --

Geez, I swear you have a new build at least everything week.

Been meaning to ask, is that normal tape you insulate your drivers with in a lot of your builds, or some of that "heatsink" tape I've heard about?

jeffd

wow that is a beautiful laser.

DTR

Geez, I swear you have a new build at least everything week.

Been meaning to ask, is that normal tape you insulate your drivers with in a lot of your builds, or some of that "heatsink" tape I've heard about?

Heatsink tape? Sounds interesting. Got a link to some?

Blord

That is called adhesive thermal pad. In computer they use it for heatsinking the videomemory.

DrSid

Pretty ! And the photos are great too ! Those beams are so perfect they look shopped. May I ask you about camera and settings ? Looks like DSLR with high stop number (by that nice stars artifacts).

Last edited:

DTR

Pretty ! And the photos are great too ! Those beams are so perfect they look shopped. May I ask you about camera and settings ? Looks like DSLR with high stop number (by that nice stars artifacts).

It is an Olympus Pen E-PL1. I don't know much about cameras but it is pretty sweet. Some of the beam shots I will do a longer exposure when the laser or camera is not moving around.:beer:

DTR

Re: 1.6W Ehgemus 14650 Pen Host

Alright I have have upgraded my newest 14650 host. It now has dual flexdrive's set to 760mA each giving 1.6W.:eg:

I can tell you this was a very tight build. I actually lost a diode by breaking the positive pin off when trying to cram everything in the pill.:cryyy:

All I have at the moment is a Aixiz glass but I have some more G-1 lenses on their way and I will update these when they arrive. But I should gain around 200mW compared to these tests.:beer:

p1013469.jpg

Last edited:

So how fast do you have to turn it off before burning your finger off? :crackup::crackup::crackup:

@Tiki We're brothers from another mother.

DTR

So how fast do you have to turn it off before burning your finger off? :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Not bad. Gets warm after a couple of minutes but not as much as I thought it would.:beer:

IsaacT

In your testing pic, did you put those gold dollars under there to lift up the beam to hit the LPM, or did you put them there for extra heatsinking? lol

and the battery handles this fine? I know you had mentioned about having to high high discharge batteries, does this require those as well?

wannaburn, i would assume the coins are there just to position the beam into place. It simply sitting on those coins like that wouldn't really do much for heat sinking anyways. Plus, with the entire host being a heat sink, it doesn't need it..

Last edited:

DTR

In your testing pic, did you put those gold dollars under there to lift up the beam to hit the LPM, or did you put them there for extra heatsinking? lol

You have to adjust the height so the beam will hit the sensor pad.;)

and the battery handles this fine? I know you had mentioned about having to high high discharge batteries, does this require those as well?

Yep they are unprotected low internal resistance cells. I actually built this Wednesday night but I was waiting on batteries and tried it with a ultrafire 14500 and it lasted only several seconds before committing suicide.

Last edited:

DTR

What part died?
Was it just the batteries sagging?

With the ultrafire battery it would run for a few seconds and then it would dim and start flashing like the battery was dead. But with the Sanyo cell I have run it as long as four minutes so far with no problem keeping up with current demand.:beer: