Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ZY-C01 Build - 445nm with "Turret" Stylings

rhd

I thought I would show off a recent build. The ZY-C01 fantastically illustrates how a "ho-hum" looking host online, can turn out to be a real gem up close. From the photos on DX, this looks like a rather boring flashlight:
Smallsun ZY-C01 Stainless Steel Cree Q5-WC 3-Mode 190-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*16340) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yet when it arrived, I was impressed to see that the host walls are almost 4mm thick in some spots. The tailcap forgoes the cheaper silicon "clicky" approach, and instead all metal, with a lanyard loop that honestly looks like it was carved away by hand (in a good way). Those black rings are not cheap plastic "style accents", but rather practice rubber "runners" that both maintain some degree of water-tightness, and also ensure a good fit between the body components. The threading is not quite true "square threading", but it's closer to it than you'd find on a typical host (SH-032, C3, etc)

attachment.php

I built this 445 at a relatively low output power of ~900mW. I actually built this guy about a month ago when I was testing one of the Ben Boost PCB revisions. It runs on a single 16340. Of course, what really makes it shine, is the Flaminpyro Hydro focus adapter (check them out here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/flaminpyros-custom-focus-adapters-71257.html).

attachment.php

Not much else to say about this guy. It's not an FS thread, so I'm not going nuts with LPM charts or spectrometer readings. Just a cool build that I had fun making.

attachment.php

Again, the host for anyone interested, the host is this guy:
Smallsun ZY-C01 Stainless Steel Cree Q5-WC 3-Mode 190-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*16340) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The driver is this fellow (though I used an earlier revision of the PCB without polarity protection):
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/presale-ben-boost-72527.html

And the custom focus knob is from this fellow:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/flaminpyros-custom-focus-adapters-71257.html

Attachments

• aa Beam.jpg
    aa Beam.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,731
  • aa Side.jpg
    aa Side.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,291
  • aa Hydra.jpg
    aa Hydra.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 868
  • aa Rear.jpg
    aa Rear.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,241
  • aa Tall.jpg
    aa Tall.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,324

Cool! It sure does look a lot better than on the DX website. I like these hosts w/o the cheapy branding. Honestly, just seeing "Trust/UltraFire" on the side is just lame IMHO. Some of the other names like Fenix aren't too bad though.

Lase

You should make a matching rainbow set of these lasers. +1 for another stylish build that makes me jealous :na:

(one of these days it'll let me rep you again >_<)

Lase

Last edited:

jimdt7

Pretty awesome !
Where can i find a heatsink for this host ?

Jim

Blord

Looks like a laser-guided missile. I am sure the Pentagon will have interest in this :D
Good build !