Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB High Quality Diffraction Grating

IsaacT

Hey everybody. I am looking to buy a 1000 Lines/mm Diffraction Grating. I would like it to be made out of glass, not plastic if at all possible. I need it for the Argon Laser I have on the way.

I think a prism will work too, isaac. I'll have a ml argon here real soon too and plan to use my prism.

The thing with prisms that you may run into, is the spreading issue. What's the issue? It doesn't do much of it ;) You're going to run into some issues between 473 and 476, and 496 and 501.

HOLY SHAT!!!! $18 to ship one piece of diffraction grating!?!?!?????? No thanks DL, not getting ripped off playing more for shipping than my actual order!!!!!!!

Hey Isaac, I'm gonna vouch for what Smeerworst posted. I bought a couple of these because it's what brucemir uses in his epic beam shots and he told me the quality was worth it... I can assure you that they are very high quality glass compared to most of the little plastic dealios you find online. I don't know what the line density it, but it's worth the money to pick a couple up imho.

You can get a good look at the size of these in this thread... just scroll down to the ones splitting beams just before they hit the prisms. Those are the fan ones I think, but the matrix are also available: http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/more-new-pics-83601.html

Here is the link to what I'm talking about: http://www.dragonlasers.com/Laser-Beam-Splitters.html

Last edited:
I agree DL ones are legit but shipping is going to kill people! $18 to ship a $12 diffraction grating

Good way to look at it KapaHn8d! Whenever I ordered my gratings from DL I also had ordered a laser. Actually for the crappy plastic ones out there , 30 dollars for a quality product is not bad. If you want to get high quality results you pay for it. If you order two gratings it will knock your shipping cost per unit in half. Where I work if customers order one or two traffic cones for say 12 dollars a piece and we ship it from NJ to Florida, or anywhere more than 500 miles, it will cost 50 dollars(or more)to ship a 12 or 24 dollar order. They can go to Home Depot and buy an inferior product but they don't. I see this everyday where the shipping costs more than the actual product. This is a reality when dealing with shipping a small order. Even though DL is shipping a very small piece of glass, it is coming fron China. 18 dollars actually doesn't sound that bad to ship a small box from China. You can check out Laserglow's diffraction gratings from Canada and 60 dollars for a piece if glass maybe a third of an inch in diameter (which I have), or get more exotic and pay hundreds of dollars from Melles Groit. The DL ones, even with the shipping cost making it 30 dollars a pop is the the best quality and value in my opinion.

Last edited:
You could also ask Jetlasers, sinds they shipped a free glass square with my PLE pro..

They are very small compared to the ones from DL, but might be cheaper.

They also seem to have more lines then the ones from DL.

As they shipped it with my PLE- pro 800 it might be suited for high powered lasers aswell.

Cheers, Sm.

BsrTczh.jpg

Last edited:

ARG

WBS, does it need to be 1000 lines for wavelength measurement? Or is this just for splitting the lines?
I think I have a glass grating I harvested from somewhere, unsure of line count though.

If it doesnt work out for WBS, then send me a PM, im interested in buying at least one :D