Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers Photonic Disruptor Pro (Lots of pics!)

There's nothing better than to come home from work and find a laser in the mail. It also happens to be my B-day today, and this seriously made my day!

Steve at WickedLasers (with the help of Niko) was kind enough to send me a Photonic Disruptor Pro for a review. This is a 100mW waterproof laser sold here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/wicked-lasers-clearance-sale-46286.html

First impressions:
The laser looks schweet! Very appealing. Feels extremely solid and very heavy in hand. I did notice that the tail cap didn't have any printing on it like the pictures do in the FS thread:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/wicked-lasers-clearance-sale-46286.html.
Tail cap is missing the logo and the "on-off" label.

I couldn't stop taking pictures of this beauty (you should have seen this post before I cut out some pics :))

(oops, I just realized I forgot to take pics of the interior o-rings and the inside of the tail cap, I'll get those up tomorrow.)

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

^The tail cap is missing the logo.

DSC00802.jpg

^ This picture was taken while I was data logging, which is why the front panel is turned off and the DMM is being used.

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00823333333333333333.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

Now that you've seen the pictures, it's time to discuss power output. This laser is rated at 100mW, and it has yet to go under 100mW yet (done about 10 meter tests so far). Here's some power output graphs. The graphs in a higher resolution, which is why I didn't embed them on this page, just click the links.

For the first two graphs, I grabbed the AA batteries out of my Evo Pro:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3431777/Met...Regular batteries (hardly used)/reg_bat_1.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3431777/Met...Regular batteries (hardly used)/reg_bat_2.jpg

For the next two graphs, I used brand new alkaline batteries:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3431777/Met...otonic Disruptor Pro/Brand new Alkaline/1.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3431777/Met...otonic Disruptor Pro/Brand new Alkaline/2.jpg

For the last two graphs, I used brand new Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries (I was surprised that the Energizer Lithium's didn't do so well in this laser):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3431777/Met...ro/Brand new Energizer Ultimate Lithium/1.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3431777/Met...ro/Brand new Energizer Ultimate Lithium/2.jpg

Beam Specs:
The beam does come out at a slight angle, which is common for green lasers. Divergence is good, I'll try to get some measurements up tomorrow (it's been a busy day for me). Compared to the Evo Pro, the dot is slightly larger when I checked from 7 feet away. I'm going to try to borrow a caliper from a friend, and get some divergence measurements soon.

Time to sum things up:
I have to say, this laser is absolutely gorgeous! This laser feels very sturdy and very heavy in your hand. Even though this isn't my most power green laser, I like it much more than my 150mW Evolution Pro and a 250mW RPL style.

Pros:
  • Looks amazing
  • Feels very solid and heavy in your hand
  • Overspec power output. I'd call it a 115-120mW laser.
  • Waterproof
  • PRICE! $175 is such a great deal for this.
  • Uses AA batteries

Cons:
  • Beam exits at slight angle
  • tail cap doesn't have any printing on it
  • Batteries feel a little loose inside
  • Twist on/off.
  • Uses AA batteries
  • Beam specifications are a little underspec.
As you can see, I have "Uses AA batteries" in both the pro and con section. On the up side, you can run and get more AA batteries if you're diving or in a hurry. However I don't like having to replace AA batteries all the time, as it gets pretty expensive if you want to use decent batteries.

Here's a couple videos. I'll try to get a video of me power testing it tomorrow.

In the second video, I also had my 50mW green in rayfoss waterproof in the mix for a few seconds. I took it out, because it didn't even belong in the same room as this thing!

NEW VIDEO!

Last edited:

That's a mighty fine looking laser you've got there Bryce. Shame about the logo and on-off label, but it's overspec, which is good.

Edit: Oh yeah, happy birthday, and congrats on getting your money back

Last edited:
wow i cant wait to get mine!!!! btw nice review makes me even more anxious for it to get here haha

roosl

Nice job, dude! Nice photo work, too.
:san:
..and Happy Birthday!

Arayan

I received this PD Pro, about 4 month ago, instead of a clasical Photonic Disruptor that I had ordered from a reseller of WL! It is a good product (according to my preliminary measurements the power of the beam stabilizes at around 98 mw) but I don't understand why to call it "Photonic Disruptor" if the main characteristic of the old PD was the focusable beam which can be used as a "dazzler"...

Attachments

• PD1.jpg
    PD1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,038
Wow, i haven't been to WL's site in a while, cause the last time i saw one of their "disruptors" it was a simple matte black pen laser :eek: :yabbem:

Arayan

Anyway I wanted to thank Bryce for this very nice review as it is always a good thing to know in depth the characteristics of a laser that you have :)

Nice review, man! I'm very glad you're happy with it :)

One question, does the clicky switch feel good when it clicks? You know, that satisfactory click feeling...

Also, adding to RT!

EDIT: Also, could you please measure the dimensions of the laser? (Length/Diameter)

Last edited:

Rob

Great review bryce! I'll definitely be getting one of these as soon as I can scrape together the funds. Oh and Happy Birthday, even though it was yesterday. :D

Nice review, man! I'm very glad you're happy with it :)

One question, does the clicky switch feel good when it clicks? You know, that satisfactory click feeling...

Also, adding to RT!

EDIT: Also, could you please measure the dimensions of the laser? (Length/Diameter)

There is no clicky switch, it is twist on twist off. I think I would have preferred a rear clicky. I've found that when I replace batteries I always turn in on by accident. Also, you gotta be careful when twisting the cap in water; you don't want to twist it the wrong way by accident. There are two o-rings on the inside tailcap, and it looks like you could probably turn it for a while without running into problems (like if you went the wrong direction on accident).

Dimensions:

about 179mm long. Head is about 25mm in diameter. Tailcap is about 23mm in diameter. Divergence measurements coming soon.

There is no clicky switch, it is twist on twist off. I think I would have preferred a rear clicky. I've found that when I replace batteries I always turn in on by accident. Also, you gotta be careful when twisting the cap in water; you don't want to twist it the wrong way by accident. There are two o-rings on the inside tailcap, and it looks like you could probably turn it for a while without running into problems (like if you went the wrong direction on accident).

Dimensions:

about 179mm long. Head is about 25mm in diameter. Tailcap is about 23mm in diameter. Divergence measurements coming soon.

Thanks for the answer, I'll post it on the clearance sale thread for the member that asked about it.