Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers modified Spyder III Arctic G2 was 700mW, now doing 1800mW

Greetings folks.....! Here's my brief review of a modified WL S3 Arctic G2 laser. Before I continue I just want to give my personal and sincere thanks to Dave for doing this. I had the opportunity to meet him recently to pick this laser up after shipping it out to him, and not only is he a laser guru but also a great guy. Many thanks to you good sir and more to come!

Here's the deal
Well I was never unhappy or unsatisfied with my Arctic G2 since receiving it last year, I recently saw a post from daguin mentioning that he'd upgraded his G1 model to output much better than what its factory setting was. After a little conversation about what he'd done, I thought to offer him my G2 to see if he could do the same thing. Mine was only doing 700mW on average, and despite my original attraction to the smartswitch it became something I can do without. The smartswitch is also the main reason I didn't bother mod'ing this myself. I knew Dave would do a great job so I went for it. Here's the specs:

Host: Wicked Lasers Spyder III Arctic G2
Diode: >1W XJ A140 445nm
Driver: jibdrive preset 1.3A
Heatsink: Jayrob custom aluminum heatsink
Batteries: 2 16340 3.7V Li-Ion
Output: 1880mW peak/ 1800mW average
Lens: 405-G-1
Mod: daguin

The build
I don't have pictures of the build, but Dave gutted the laser & completely rebuilt it. Here's what I got back... (hehe)
DSC08852.jpg

What went in is listed above in the specs. Dave will have to give you the procedure details and how it all went down if you're interested, because he ran it all by me when I picked it up from him almost a week ago & I didn't take notes ;) My memory isn't thaaat sharp either to detail it all out, but basically it wasn't too different from his mod'ing G1 thread.

Pictures
The mark of a guru, replacing what was the smartswitch power symbol ;)
DSC08632.jpg

I haven't taken any additional pics of this laser or any beamshots yet, but the video pretty much says it all....

Thanks again Dave, you did a great job. My S3 Arctic G2 laser was doing 700mW and is now it's doing 1800mW. It's more than twice as powerful!! :D

DSC08630.jpg

Thanks for reading :beer:

Last edited:

daguin

It was a pleasure meeting you.

Incidentally, the "G" is totally the responsibility of Serendipity

She must just like you ;)

Peace,
dave

Poetic my friend, and she doesn't return my calls anymore btw ;) But I digress... you are a master at your craft & I see the G as that. :beer:

Slightly off, remember that 32600 I brought over that was blown out of it's own pants from the TSA? It recharged back to full life believe it or not, I was surprised.

EDIT: That full recharge I mentioned only held for one time, numerous attempts have only brought it back up to 3V while getting incredibly hot. After more than a week of continous use I know this battery is completely unstable, I fear it can blow up on me any time now. Until a replacement arrives (damn you again china!) I'll be wearing a welding mask instead of safety goggles when handling this damaged 32600 :beer:

Last edited:

daguin

Poetic my friend, and she doesn't return my calls anymore btw ;) But I digress... you are a master at your craft & I see the G as that. :beer:

Slightly off, remember that 32600 I brought over that was blown out of it's own pants from the TSA? It recharged back to full life believe it or not, I was surprised.

WOW! That is good to hear. You cannot just run down to your local K-Mart for those ;)

I finally have hosts on the way to utilize mine. So many jobs -- So little time

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Ugh tell me about it Dave.... I'm going on 27 days now (almost 4 wks since ordering) waiting for a fresh new set of 32600's from kai. Damn you china!! :beer:

Last edited:
^ So am I... mainly street, stairs & rails though. I'm not too good on the ramps ;)

If I could take a guess, I'm say Dave probably rides a longboard down the strand every now & then :beer:

daguin

^ So am I... mainly street, stairs & rails though. I'm not too good on the ramps ;)

If I could take a guess, I'm say Dave probably rides a longboard down the strand every now & then :beer:

:crackup: The last time I rode a board, my sons were still in elementary school :na:

On my last ride I learned the first rule of skateboarding --

NEVER ride faster than you can run :whistle:

Peace,
dave