Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked has new Lasers

Maybe we don't all care just about burning, did you ever stop to think about that? And at least they're being honest about availability now.

I can't be the only one noticing that Wicked Lasers is now claiming to be selling a 532nm "1W" laser by "11/1".

I don't see how that would be possible at a $330~ price point without a direct green diode.

Thats a 500-1000mw and with a 2.5mm dia. beam it will burn black plastic tape about as well as the 130mw 1.5mm dia. beam laser they were selling 2 days ago.

Im all for lower prices and cant wait too see direct diodes all across the visible spectrum. Granted that might explain wider beams as higher powers may have larger emitting areas, but I cant see 3 for 125.00 of the latest tech at the 50-100mw power level.

Also you will notice the blue 445 is replaced by purple 405 on the lower models sugesting existing diodes are being used.

Last edited:
Thats a 500-1000mw and with a 2.5mm dia. beam it will burn black plastic tape about as well as the 130mw 1.5mm dia. beam laser they were selling 2 days ago.

Im all for lower prices and cant wait too see direct diodes all across the visible spectrum. Granted that might explain wider beams as higher powers may have larger emitting areas, but I cant see 3 for 125.00 of the latest tech at the 50-100mw power level.

Also you will notice the blue 445 is replaced by purple 405 on the lower models sugesting existing diodes are being used.

That's all par for the course. No one has a clue what's going on over at wicked lasers. Dealing with Wicked Lasers is a total crap shoot at this point.

The introduction of the new S3-Series heralds the advent of a new chapter in laser history by overcoming duty cycles and offering unbelievable value. In terms of sheer output power and functionality(?), the S3-Series easily outperforms every other military handheld laser(?) in the world. It outputs an unbelievable 500mW to 1 Watt of coherent energy and is available in 2 wavelength colors(?): 445nm Arctic Blue and 532nm Fusion Green. The S3-Series is powered by a safer chemistry(?), high discharge 18650 lithium manganese battery (included). With the introduction of intelligent SmartSwitch technology, Wicked Lasers has engineered safety and 4 output functions into each S3-Series, making it the world's first intelligent portable laser(?).

:crackup:
Who writes this stuff?

Should we give Wicked the benefit of the doubt?

Obviously they've dropped the balll with the arctic. BUT they were developing and building thousands of lasers, while updating their website, while shipping (eventually), dealing with thousands of inquiries (sales/cancellations/charge backs/general questions/returns), while promoting the laser freedom petition thing, dealing with with lucas arts (to some degree) and the media, and attempting to comply with the FDA regulations.

They did all of that poorly.

They should have stopped accepting orders at some point, or at least have created some sort of waiting list. The only thing they did was increase the price, probably in an attempt to slow down orders. You'd think in China you could find plenty of good helpers, but maybe they were too wrapped up in everything else to find time to hire new people.

But they never tried to steal from people, just frustrate them a lot.

They're very entrepreneurial, and they are obviously trying to offer a superior product at a lower price.

I'm guessing the wicked lasers office/assembly line is an unpleasant place to work, and i bet the owner is a bit of a tyrant. I think the just needs to loosen the purse strings and hire a full time customer support person. If he did that they would probably be a much more successful business.

People seem to love rayfoss, they're lasers aren't particularly high quality, not overly cheap, they have product problems, but faona answers emails quickly and they accept returns efficiently.

I'll probably order an S2 from WL, just because they're quality (imo) is better than most, and they're prices are much cheaper than the super high end places.

IsaacT

Should we give Wicked the benefit of the doubt?

Obviously they've dropped the balll with the arctic. BUT they were developing and building thousands of lasers, while updating their website, while shipping (eventually), dealing with thousands of inquiries (sales/cancellations/charge backs/general questions/returns), while promoting the laser freedom petition thing, dealing with with lucas arts (to some degree) and the media, and attempting to comply with the FDA regulations.

They did all of that poorly.

They should have stopped accepting orders at some point, or at least have created some sort of waiting list. The only thing they did was increase the price, probably in an attempt to slow down orders. You'd think in China you could find plenty of good helpers, but maybe they were too wrapped up in everything else to find time to hire new people.

But they never tried to steal from people, just frustrate them a lot.

They're very entrepreneurial, and they are obviously trying to offer a superior product at a lower price.

I'm guessing the wicked lasers office/assembly line is an unpleasant place to work, and i bet the owner is a bit of a tyrant. I think the just needs to loosen the purse strings and hire a full time customer support person. If he did that they would probably be a much more successful business.

People seem to love rayfoss, they're lasers aren't particularly high quality, not overly cheap, they have product problems, but faona answers emails quickly and they accept returns efficiently.

I'll probably order an S2 from WL, just because they're quality (imo) is better than most, and they're prices are much cheaper than the super high end places.

EVERY OTHER LASER BUSINESS HAS KEPT THEIR SHIT TOGETHER, WHY SHOULD WICKED GET SPECIAL TREATMENT? Btw, the all caps isn't meant to be scream style just stern. :p I just think that if a company is going to enter a market, they should prepare themselves for it so they will not drown. They drowned. They will probably die as a company. Oh well, more companies will come and hopefully learn from WL's failure and maybe we will get even better customer service in the future. :D

Ash

EVERY OTHER LASER BUSINESS HAS KEPT THEIR SHIT TOGETHER, WHY SHOULD WICKED GET SPECIAL TREATMENT? Btw, the all caps isn't meant to be scream style just stern. :p I just think that if a company is going to enter a market, they should prepare themselves for it so they will not drown. They drowned. They will probably die as a company. Oh well, more companies will come and hopefully learn from WL's failure and maybe we will get even better customer service in the future. :D
Not exactly. :undecided:
Wicked has been around for about 6 years, they didn't just "enter the market".
Really, they have never had a good record of customer service, this Arctic fiasco was just the last straw for many people that were only hanging on. :mad:
Their products, however, have been mostly solid, but they got a bad rap hefe at LPF for a few years. Sure, there are a few piss-poor wicked lasers, but overall they have a decent line of inexpensive lasers now. I'm not holding a grudge against them. :beer:

I am so glad I own two tiny beamed Evo's.None of the new offerings look very attractive...at all.I like thin beams, they burn better and look more intense.
And the specs for power!!Talk about loose tolerances!Yikes!
The prices are low...but for what power exactly?50 to 100 mw??No thanks!!!

CNI is building Wickedlaser´s lasers, WL is "only" creating the host drawings and is responsible for the sales (first hand information). So the delay isn´t only Wickedlaser´s fault. I really like their laser designs and I´m glad that they added the shipping date, so let us hope that they have learned through their mistakes.
They were talking about a 589nm some time ago.. hope it becomes true very soon!

It really is WL's fault. i run a small family business and when i am late with parts i dont throw my supplier under the bus to my customer. and if it happens enough then i stop doing business with said supplier. thats how it works. you are responsible for who you do business with.

michael.

It really is WL's fault. i run a small family business and when i am late with parts i dont throw my supplier under the bus to my customer. and if it happens enough then i stop doing business with said supplier. thats how it works. you are responsible for who you do business with.

michael.

I would be inclined to agree.

Also, I remember seeing those pictures early on of Wicked's "high tech" assembly line for the Arctics... It did not look like a professional facility.
I know CNI does/did supply WL with some parts and modules, but I don't think they are responsible for WL's business practices.