Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who would like to meet Dr Sam Goldwasser at SELEM 2011

Maybe you should let him know already in case he has other plans during that period :D of course if many ppl want him there :whistle:

Last edited:

Opportunities like this always pop up when I have previous engagements. I cant believe I'm going to miss a meet with the great Sam Goldwasser, the guru of lasers!!!! :worthy:

Opportunities like this always pop up when I have previous engagements. I cant believe I'm going to miss a meet with the great Sam Goldwasser, the guru of lasers!!!! :worthy:
Thanks Mark. I was hoping you would make it this year. Maybe your plans will change. If there is anything I can do to help plz let me know.

@Silver- I wrote Sam about this a week ago and did not start to push it until he replied. I like to think of myself as a problem/obstical solver.

When I found out that Csshih lived in Cali but did not have the means to get to SoCalLEM I jumped in and helped make that happen. Why not?
I could not go, so helping Craig make it made me feel better about not going. He sorta went in my behalf. From all reports and the great photos he took it was all very well worth the effort. Everybody said that meeting him was a pleasure.

see this.

here are my messages to and from Dr Sam.
May 6...May-06-11 18:28:36 PDT

Dear siliconsam,
Hello Dr Sam-you helped me out a few times yrs ago.I met some of yr
friends(Steve most notably)At the SELEM laser meet in Newton NC. anyway
there was a thread on lasers forums about henes and I linked your listing
and used your photo( w/ a credit to you) I figure I owe you for the help
and this is the least I can do. I wanted to ask if there is anything at
your site about powereing up the x/Y galvos-
However I just thought of
something- would you entertain the thought of attending the next SELEM- as
a honored VIP guest of course- this year will be the biggest ever @ least
30 fullcolor projectors in a private venue.It is going to happen on Aug 19
to 21 and there will be about 80-100 guys (&a few gals) that are dying to
meet you and say thanks for all you have done for us. If you wanted to stay
overnight I am sure we can cover a room at the Holiday Inn where most of us
will be staying. I(and others) am doing a big spaghetti dinner for all on Friday. I
know Steve has asked you before but... Len
-hakzaw1

Dear hakzaw1,
Hi:
Thanks for the comments! ;-)]
As far as the X/Y galvo in the slider, it's just a pair of voice coils similar to
a loudspeaker, so a small stereo amp or PC sound output should work. However,
the impedance is rather low - don't recall exactly but I blew a Walkman driving
them. (Probably wanted 32 ohms.)

What's the thread?

As far as SELEM, I'll consider it but will probably have to disappoint. Sounds like
fun though especially with the Spaghetti (and gals).
P.S. Give me an email that will work without going through eBay - the members
emails don't seem to work most of the time.
Cheers!---Sam

and then this from Sam..................
To: "Len (hakzaw1)" <hakzaw1(at)gmail(dot)com>

Yeah, the SELEM thing sounds really tempting. I don't get to go too many
places where I'd be treated as a laser God. ;) But it is a long haul, around
500 miles? I would need transportation. I don't do that kind of driving.
The real problem may be whether I can be away for 5? days. Anyway, there's
plenty of time to think about it.
--- sam

******************************SO....

I have another much longer message that I am about to send with many of the details on SELEM and some links on previous years and to the threads. I was just waiting for some more posts to be added to my threads on Sam, both here and at PL.

I am sure this is do-able. I dont give up easily.
Help of any kind will be appreciated. We could use some help amassing funds to help those providing the transportation ( gas$$) and while the Holiday Inn gives us a decent free continental breakfast we will need to cover a few other meals. I will be glad to cover the lodging but even that will be hard on my wallet. I will not be able to offer a room all for Sam but if he does not mind sharing I will cover that.

thanks for reading....hak

please go to my thread and add you thoughts about Sam and SELEM even if it is not possible for you to attend. There is always next year.:D

I emailed him this morning also and just got the following reply:

Quick note, I apologize for interrupting you with emails

:)

I just wanted to add my name and my wife among those who would love
to meet you in Newton, NC for SELEM V, if you are able to attend.

I really don't know and probably won't until the last minute.

--- sam

Does anyone know where the beginning of those 500 miles is? It's looking like the 4 seats in my G5 might be filled, but there's always that super uncomfortable middle seat in the back!

T_J-- please dont poop in my thread.

comments like that are rude and uncalled for.

Ha ha-:crackup:- you always crack me up. Shall I start a thead seeing who would like to meet you at SELEM..:undecided:

..We can all agree that without tj this forum would not be the same.:whistle:

anyone interested in the topic of this thread plz

Read the OP and also see post #23. thnx--hk

http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/selem-coming-who-going-63301.html

if you are going there to troll or stir any pots plz dont.

Contrary to popular belief I'm a nice guy in real life. I still crack jokes, tell dirty stories, and bust balls, but its a lot funnier when you see me in person.

I was already invited, but with the shit storm going on in my life right now, there is no way I can make it. Maybe next year.

Last edited:
If he comes to Canada... I'd like to meet him...
For some reason the US border guards don't want
to let me in....:whistle:

Jerry

I still have hopes that Sam will be able to attend. He IS interested and Buffo just sent him some very nice DVDs custom made by th eother Adam--300Evil. Buffo spoke with Sam at length and I think he will come to SELEM if we can arrange transport(Dr.Sam does not drive much). So if you want to meet him, Jerry, you may just have to come to SELEM. You need to show off that DIY RGB you have been working on.

I look fwd to meeting/talking Dr Sam in person. First question will be about his first laser.

Anyone wishing to add posts to this please do. I copypasta (only)the nice ones to DrSam.

ALSO anyone wanting to attend must pay & give your shirt size(s) asap. late payers do not get shirts. And they dont monogram extra shirts btw.

Last edited:
Dr. Sam Goldwasser has influenced so many budding laserists, it's impossible to put a number on his contribution to the passion for lasers. I was heavily involved with lasers, building an argon ion laser from scratch, using a mercury diffusion pump and hand blown glass in Berkeley Ca. I used greased glass petcocks as valves and obtained some high purity argon from a gas distributor in the east bay, Ca. Later on, when I was having trouble removing oxygen contamination from my pumped down apparatus I received information from Sam about my getter. After that I got a respectable >20mW of that beautiful blue-green beam. But, before I could achieve a reliable setup however, I had removed the mercury back to a glass jar, that was in a paper bag, which plunged to the floor in the garage and sent mercury everywhere. A very tedious cleanup, which took forever.

Last edited:
I did a ton of reading and research on SAM's FAQ to get
started in our LPM ventures...
It is THE place to get most Laser related info... IMO...
I still refer to it now and then...
A big :thanks: to Sam and the other contributors.....

Jerry

Last edited: