Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which color of laser pen is better fo teaching, green or red?

Bowen

I'm a teacher, I want to buy a laser pen for teaching, which color is better for my class? green laser pen or red laser pen?

honestly red imo because they have seen it a 1,000 times and wont go al crazy when you whip out an exotic color laser.
But if you want to go for a shocking color get a 7 color kit and keep changing it and act like you have not noticed it doing it. would be kinda funny.

daguin

I switch up my colors for different lectures ;)

660nm
635nm
632nm
593nm
543nm
473nm
405nm

I also have a couple of "novelty" pointers I use

Peace,
dave

Some day you will have to show us all them lasers even the "novelty" ones ;)

660nm
635nm
632nm
593nm
543nm
473nm
405nm

Peace,
dave

I find that green is too bright for a classroom-sized setting, and stick to red (a 635nm in my case). If you're giving a presentation in a lecture hall, green can be appropriate for greater visibility. Violet can work as well, since it isn't distractingly bright and can attract attention, but avoid making it seem "gimmicky" and don't raise the power to unsafe levels in the name of visibility just because 405nm doesn't seem bright.

DJNY

660nm
635nm
632nm
593nm
543nm
473nm
405nm

Peace,
dave

Is there a deeper meaning why u use specific wl for specific courses?

I always use my Z-Bolt bicolor laser. The red one for smaller seminar rooms, the green one for the auditorium. It also depends on the powerpoint background color. Sometimes I use both in one presentation, not to cause confusion more than to illustrate good points(green) and bad points(red) due a topic.

Arayan

It depends on the size of the classroom... Red for a little classroom, green or yellow for a big one. I reccomend This green laser pointer Anser from LaserGlow or a Wicked Lasers Core :)

For a class room setting be sure to keep it legal, Class IIIa

Leadlight makes excellent ones for this purpose, here's a good place to buy them;

Atlasnova 650nm Red Laser Pointer

They ship out of Washington State and have many other to choice from too.

daguin

I don't use any particular color for any particular lecture.

I only use the green in a large, brighter room. These are particularly effective in lecture halls. Plus, you have to make sure that the laser is less than 5mW. Most of the "5mW" pointers available put out significantly more than 5mW. I am probably one of the few people in the world that "pot mod" lasers to turn them down ;)

Violet pointers can only be used in a small, darker room (unless your screen fluoresces :evil: ) 5mW of violet is NOT very bright.

My "novelty" lasers can only be used with certain classes. You have to make the judgment about each individual group of students. Also, some can only be used in certain classrooms. A couple of them have to be plugged in to work. One of them isn't really a laser. It is an old incandescent "arrow" pointer.

Sometimes getting them wondering what I will pull out gets them into class on time ;)

You have to pay homage to the dialectic of novelty vs. predictability. Unless you are dealing with young children or students with learning disabilities, doing everything the same way, every day becomes boring and uninteresting to the adult mind.

Peace,
dave

Arayan

daguin said:
I only use the green in a large, brighter room. These are particularly effective in lecture halls. Plus, you have to make sure that the laser is less than 5mW. Most of the "5mW" pointers available put out significantly more than 5mW. I am probably one of the few people in the world that "pot mod" lasers to turn them dow

I'm totally agree, for this reason I use Anser from Laserglow since it has the sustained power of about 3.7 mW and a peak of 5 mW :)