Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where can I buy a 7 watt laser?

• Thread starter Deleted member 62150
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 62150

Hello everyone, so, I have tried to by a 7 watt laser 8 times from 8 different companies in the past few month from sources in the uk and China and even from sanwu lasers, all 8 were confiscated by customs. I called them and they told me, the laser was under an items list marked as illegal and this is why they took it, then when I asked her could I order anything from China and she told me yes but the mail from that area is current under high restriction.

so my question is, as a collector or lasers, is there a forum or site that sells 7 watt lasers of any follow that ships from within N. America?

Um...what?

YEAH WHAT?
I highly suggest that you learn about lasers over 5 mW and the USA laws making them somewhat illegal to import-export or make an sell.
SO some sellers may think you have another agenda.
ASK some of our great laser builder but do that ONLY via PM or email.

I pray you know how dangerous 7 W can be.
Even a very very short exposure to our eyes can cause blindness.
Just 10 mW becomes 100W when our eyes own lens is hit and worst case is the magnified 'dot' hits the two places--the fovia and the place where the nerves come together and leave the eye and go to the brain . ALL mirrors and glass need to be avoided-- just looking at the 7W 'dot' on a whire surface will leave you with 'after-images' AND if they do not go away pretty quick--you have seen WAY too much.

hk

Last edited:

Encap

Sounds fishy and very unlikely unless "they" are watching anything that comes to you in particular for whatever reasons. lol
What are the chances of 8 different shipments from 8 different companies in UK and China are stopped and confiscated by customs?
PS LPF does not sell anything other than advertising to help offset costs.

Whatever the case may be:
Importing hand held lasers with output >5mW and/or selling laser pointers with an output >5mW from within the USA to a customer within the USA on a regular basis as an item of commerce is illegal/in violation of FDA Law, rules, and regulations.
"21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers. " From:: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/laser-products-and-instruments/important-information-laser-pointer-manufacturers

You can always build one for yourself however it is not illegal to do so.

Safety is #1 consideration - excellent laser goggles and wearing them are a must- eye damage happens in less than human blink reflex time of 0.25 seconds. See what happened to one member with a 1W blue laser here: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

Last edited:

gazer101

If they were confiscated 8 times, I'd suggest maybe buying just the laser diode and seeing if it makes it past customs. If it does (just the diode by itself), you can buy the other components to complete your laser with no problems

Razako

Are you on some kind of high alert list or something? It's like they caught you once and now your packages are marked for extra scrutiny. Maybe try having a friend order for you or something.

Hi,
My question is after 8 times of loosing all that money you would have seen the big picture . it doesn't make any sense and you were notified by customs , have you learned anything .. yes Encap sound fishy and smells like a bushel of dead herring.

On another note you can buy a host with no components and then order the components and install them yourself.

Rich:)

Shiiru

I don't think you'll find any laser store that has lasers with power of 7W. It ends at like 100mW in the US. Either try to find a private seller from the US on LPF or order the diode with the other parts and build the laser yourself. If you don't really know how to, watch styropyro vids, they'll help a lot. Also make sure to get good pair of protection goggles as the 7W is the most powerful visible single diode laser. Get at least OD 7-8. I recommend some eaglepair.

Snecho

Hi,
My question is after 8 times of loosing all that money you would have seen the big picture . it doesn't make any sense and you were notified by customs , have you learned anything .. yes Encap sound fishy and smells like a bushel of dead herring.

On another note you can buy a host with no components and then order the components and install them yourself.

Rich:)
Exactly.

The thing is there isn't even 8 different stores that sell 7W handhelds! And even if there was, that would literally be thousands of dollars just wasted...

Kinda getting tired of these BS nonsense posts lately

Philipnzw

If this post is real... I mean.... How do you keep going after they confiscate your items? I'd stop trying after the first attempt.

At this point I'm kinda used to seeing these fishy posts but seriously, it just feels like we are being sent running in circles answering these posts. It doesn't even achieve anything.

Seeing the frequency of these dumb posts on LPF is also kinda intriguing. I think it deserves a psychology study on why people post such things here.

On a serious note: If this post is real, nah bruh, don't get a 7 watt laser. Like razako said, you are probably on some sort of security list and the powers that be have determined that you should not own something so dangerous.

Last edited:
If the member is new(ish)
if they made NO intro
No location in profile
if they did not complete their profile
if they will not give us another name for him--even a nic name'
we should polite;ly ask them to do these things IF they can--or at least a few
of them--
Some are much better than me at this- we should only add 'what-he-said' posts until
they try -at least- to be a bit more friendly--
some are like stray dogs
they do not go away if you feed them---anything.

many who tried to fool us & got banned via IP search-
no lies!! no second chances or AT LEAST no third chances.

however -- we need to remember that we DO need new members!!
Too many new did not stay long and longer time and longtime vets member just quit us --the end
and that is not good. and some have retired..

anyone who reads one of my rude replies--- please post and let the OP know I am an old (73) cranky man who sits in his lawnchair and often YELLS --'Hey you kids--get the hell off my YARD' --I will admit that I did not handle the thread by Suckpit very well- --

words and birds-once 'out'..... they are out & they are almost impossible to get back.

I will continue to write these but will NOT hit SUBMIT going fwd. I will use the 'dele' more often.

len peace-out

D

Deleted member 62150

YEAH WHAT?
I highly suggest that you learn about lasers over 5 mW and the USA laws making them somewhat illegal to import-export or make an sell.
SO some sellers may think you have another agenda.
ASK some of our great laser builder but do that ONLY via PM or email.

I pray you know how dangerous 7 W can be.
Even a very very short exposure to our eyes can cause blindness.
Just 10 mW becomes 100W when our eyes own lens is hit and worst case is the magnified 'dot' hits the two places--the fovia and the place where the nerves come together and leave the eye and go to the brain . ALL mirrors and glass need to be avoided-- just looking at the 7W 'dot' on a whire surface will leave you with 'after-images' AND if they do not go away pretty quick--you have seen WAY too much.

hk
I have over 35 different lasers I've collected over the years with my 3, 4 and 5 watt lasers I just got this morning. The only laser I don't have now is 7 watt. I don't know why someone would think I had negative motives. Clearly people are negative minded or believe they might be the only collectors. My collection is all based on fascination.

My ultimate goal is to build a real death Star out of a 5 foot wide highly detailed gray sphere I spent years making utilizing 7, seven watt lasers diodes focused to a single beam. All to create the ultimate starwsrs prop. The Starwars deathstar is what created my love for lasers.

I never have and never will have any evil or negative motives with any lasers I own or will own.

I know all of the laser laws in my state very well. 7 war lasers are not illegal at all. To sell them as "Laser Pointer" and without a locking mechanism, is.

D

Deleted member 62150

Sounds fishy and very unlikely unless "they" are watching anything that comes to you in particular for whatever reasons. lol
What are the chances of 8 different shipments from 8 different companies in UK and China are stopped and confiscated by customs?
PS LPF does not sell anything other than advertising to help offset costs.

Whatever the case may be:
Importing hand held lasers with output >5mW and/or selling laser pointers with an output >5mW from within the USA to a customer within the USA on a regular basis as an item of commerce is illegal/in violation of FDA Law, rules, and regulations.
"21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers.
You can always build one for yourself however it is not illegal to do so.

Safety is #1 consideration - excellent laser goggles and wearing them are a must- eye damage happens in less than human blink reflex time of 0.25 seconds. See what happened to one member with a 1W blue laser here:

I don't know why they took it but what they told me. Personally this is the first time I've ever had stuff taken before. I'm just as weirded out by it as you, my first reaction when I found out was "This can be right" but still, it happened, I did get a refund for most of them. And the lasers I wanted I found on eBay do, all is good. I love lasers, have since I witnessed the destruction of alderran from the "space station", lol. I love collecting pretty much anything laser. The 7, way striker laser I saw on YouTube is the power level I want to collect next, but 5-7 hundred is too much for me personally, even though considering the tech involved it's a fair price.

Encap

I have over 35 different lasers I've collected over the years with my 3, 4 and 5 watt lasers I just got this morning. The only laser I don't have now is 7 watt. I don't know why someone would think I had negative motives. Clearly people are negative minded or believe they might be the only collectors. My collection is all based on fascination.

My ultimate goal is to build a real death Star out of a 5 foot wide highly detailed gray sphere I spent years making utilizing 7, seven watt lasers diodes focused to a single beam. All to create the ultimate starwsrs prop. The Starwars deathstar is what created my love for lasers.

I know all of the laser laws in my state very well. 7 war lasers are not illegal at all. To sell them as "Laser Pointer" and without a locking mechanism, is.

Interesting when you joined in April 2020 you said just first received a a 1W laser from Amazon and couldn't figure out if you could use a bigger battery. Now you have 35 and recently bought 8 7 W laser from 8 different companies and all of them were stopped by customs. No problem getting a 3, 4, or 5 W only 7 W are a problem + now you know all laws State and Federal- LOL
Forgve me but it but still all smells funny, and disingenuous.
Could be wrong---post a photo of all "over 35 lasers" together and a photo of the 5 foot wide highly detailed "Death Star " that took you years to make---that would be more interesting that the lasers actually . Prove me wrong.
Can't imagine you don't have a photo of the model "Death Star" you spent years making.

In any case---all "fascination", delusional, and daydream world of your own design nonsense and pretend, aside such as making one beam out of 7 seven watt laser which isn't going to ever happen any place except in your imagination, notwithstanding:

Today;s real FDA laws , rules, and regulations as follows:
" Laser pointers are hand-held lasers that are promoted for pointing out objects or locations.
Such laser products can meet one of two definitions for laser products.
The first is for “surveying, leveling, and alignment laser products” as defined by Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 1040.10(b)(39):
“Surveying, leveling, or alignment laser product means a laser product manufactured, designed, intended or promoted for one or more of the following uses:
(i) Determining and delineating the form, extent, or position of a point, body, or area by taking angular measurement.
(ii) Positioning or adjusting parts in proper relation to one another.
(iii) Defining a plane, level, elevation, or straight line.”

Hand-held lasers promoted for entertainment purposes or amusement also meet the second definition, that of “demonstration laser products” as defined by 21 CFR 1040.10(b)(13):
“Demonstration laser product means a laser product manufactured, designed, intended, or promoted for purposes of demonstration, entertainment, advertising display, or artistic composition.”

"Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.
21 CFR 1040.11(b) and 1040.11(c), limit surveying, leveling, and alignment, and demonstration laser products to Class IIIa. This means that pointers are limited to 5 milliwatts output power in the visible wavelength range from 400 to 710 nanometers."

While there may have been loopholes about "pointers" many years ago left over from a time when there were no pointers,, there are no loopholes any longer. FDA has defined what they mean when they say pointers and it covers all hand held lasers for any purpose.
5mW is the limit.

Have a look at the Import Alert 95-4 https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_254.html wherein it clearly says under guidance "(2) The laser product output exceeds 5 milliwatts;" :
"Guidance:
*** Districts may detain without physical examination (DWPE) all shipments of the same product as was originally found violative such as laser pointers, laser gunsights, laser levels, laser pointer key chains, laser light show projectors, and similar products (covered laser products) from the manufacturers/shippers listed on the attachment to this alert.

In addition, covered laser products are subject to detention if, among other reasons, an examination shows they do not appear to comply with the appropriate standard as follows:
(1) The laser product does not have a permanently attached warning logotype label;
(2) The laser product output exceeds 5 milliwatts;
(3) The laser product fails to contain certification or identification information either on the product or in the instructions for use;
(4) The laser product fails to contain instructions for safe use;
(5) The product class or output information on the laser product's warning logotype label is different from that in the instructions for use; and/or
(6) A product report for the laser product has not been submitted. ***"

PS
7 beams can not be combined into one beam in the real world--2 into one beam yes --7 into one beam no--see: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/reference-guide-how-to-combine-lasers.77449/
7 beams close together can be done but will at best just be 7 seven watt beams close together--not one beam--except in your imagination.,

Last edited:
7 of one color - just to be clear.

one of my projectors has 6 (3 pairs of single modes in pbs cubes) then combined with dichroics before they hit the scanner, I could have added a 405 for 7. ;)

Of course its still under a watt - BUT a perfect beam. :)

PS
7 beams can not be combined into one beam in the real world--2 into one beam yes --7 into one beam no--see: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/reference-guide-how-to-combine-lasers.77449/
7 beams close together can be done but will at best just be 7 seven watt beams close together--not one beam--except in your imagination.,

Attachments

• IMG_7858 copy.JPG
    IMG_7858 copy.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7863 copy.JPG
    IMG_7863 copy.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 4