Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What power supply do you like to use?

Tonga

Hi guys I did some checking to see if this has been posted and couldn't find much, so I'm sorry if this is old news:)
What kind of power supply do you like to use for setting your drivers. I have used a 9 volt battery before but I would like something more (a lot more) stable. I have been looking at some regulated power supply units. Some are very affordable and well priced.
Does anybody have any recommendations or particular likes for a regulated power supply unit.
Or is this even necessary or over kill?
Thanks

GBD

Id say a variable power supply is a very nice and worthy tool to have, it can have uses that far surpass only driver setting. (that is a both voltage and current regulated supply).

Id try to find an old HP lab power supply, old yes, but definatly a good one, it has alot of history behind it, ancient lab dust, and still works like its new! (also, hand drawn PCB's look cool).

More or less my point, investing in a good variable power lab supply is the way to go IMO.

PSU001.jpg

PSU002.jpg

Tonga

I would use it for testing setups and a number of other uses as well not just setting my drivers.

I use a variable supply. Works like a charm, and it's not expensive.
HQ Power
Model PS1503SBU
0-15VDC / 0-3A

This is the one I use it's a Agilent U8002A good for 0-30 volts 0-5 amps and it dosnt kill diodes by mistake thats what I like about it and it's programable so you will never feed your diode too much current or voltage :D
They are a little spendy though but worth it if you do this kind of work every day like I do ;)

5o9wnc.jpg

I use the 3-12Vdc 6 way 2-Amp (6 settings in 1.5 Vdc steps, so it matches AA/AAA/C/D cell stacks) (POWER SUPPLIES from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.),,,
BUT, I read somewhere on the forum that you should make your final driver adjustments with the battery setup that you will use in your host (for hand helds). Makes sense to me, but I've been proven brain dead many times before, and my advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

I use a BK Precision 1670 triple output bench PSU. It's fairly handy having 0-30V adjustable, CC & CV, up to 2.5A, as well as independent 12v and 5v outputs.

Not as fancy as Jeff's programmable, but hey. I paid like $45 for it at a hamfest too. heh.

IMG_0008.jpg

I use my Amrel power supply the most. 2 channel 0-32V, 0-2A, tracking option, GPIB programmable. At the back it also hase sense connections to compensate cable resistance.
For higher currents I use my Delta Elektronika SM3540, 0-35V, 0-40A. That's 1400W of output.
If I need more I still have a HP 6234A.

Attachments

• dscf0765_cs.jpg
    dscf0765_cs.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 357
  • dscf5766_c.jpg
    dscf5766_c.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 392

Tonga

These are some nice units and better priced by far than some I had been looking at.

Tonga;

I have a couple, but this Extech is the one I like the best:
digsupply.jpg

The digital readout allows plotting diodes with enough digits.
Here I am charging the newest lithium ion #18650's to 4.35 VDC.
The 5 amp capacity allows charging several cells at once.
I can get a good price on these, if anybody needs one.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

Tonga

LarryDFW that's nice! Earlier I went ahead and ordered a unit that I had been looking at a Mastech GPS-1850D. It will to up to 20V with 5A. I hope I made the right move here because I need some
kind of precision setting drivers and testing the setups I have. Thanks man!