Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is the most powerful 650 handheld within reason?

Yes, I know what you mean.
The reason I have no problem pushing 300mW+ is that the diodes are rated for 400mW pulsed (according to the Mitsubishi data sheet).
Although the CW rating is 150mW, I think that for "short" cycles the diode should be able to handle ~300mW with a decent lifetime. Time will tell.
And I'm not saying all LOC diodes can handle it. I've lost a few to abusive testing. DJNY's 390mW LOC is a rare gem of a diode. I'd love to see it myself. :D

I think the important thing is the lens being used. I wouldn't dare try to push 300mW with the 3 element Aixiz glass lenses.
And no, it's one of LarryDFW's lenses. I think it is the same as, or at least similar to, the one Jayrob sells. I do have another LOC laser built with one of Jay's lenses and as far as I can tell they are identical.

I've been considering driving one of my spare diodes up in current to death, but that will have to wait.
These red diodes sadly don't get much attention anymore. I really think that they make great lasers. They are, IMO, the best visible wavelength diodes available to us for a good price. The 445nm beams are way too ugly for my taste and the visibility is poor in daylight even at 1W.

Morgan

^ I getcha. I just didn't want a new member to think that's the norm.

The Mitubishi's are the LOCs? There are some new diodes about that are also Mitsubishi but come as a brand new diode, (never installed, long legs, etc...). I have one to test but haven't got around to it yet. I think, just from anecdote, that the die is shorter but I haven't proved it to myself yet. They are not the LPC-822 diode though to avoid that confusion.

As to the lenses, that 30% gain is largely responsible and the two versions, LarryDFW and Jayrob's, are the same.

I actually like the LCC for useability. That can just makes me feel safer!

A touch off topic for which I apologise.

Was it DJNY that has built a dual combined LOC pointer? Or was I just hoping for something there?

M
:)

DJNY

Was it DJNY that has built a dual combined LOC pointer? Or was I just hoping for something there?

Unfortunately not :(
I didn´t try ANY DIY laser builts yet, but I´m still new to this hobby. It was just a bit more than 1 year ago since I bought my first green laser :)

DJNY's 390mW LOC is a rare gem of a diode. I'd love to see it myself. :D

No 390mW output. More like 330mW average ;)
IgorT cherry picked it out from 11 LOC´s. It is my favorite laser!

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

How about the most powerful less then 650? This is at 60+ meters, Midnight first shot while adjusting optics on test range. The beam is now smaller and square. It will not remain hand held. It has a higher purpose in its life. Yes, the glare in the background is a 500 watt/sec xenon flash at 4 meters away. Power level, well I can't say, but its very impressive, well upwards of two combined dvd reds. Below lasing threshold, the collected spontaneous emission at the barn door exceeds 5 mW. Baby got gain!

It will NOT be coming from any pointer manufacturer any time soon.

Good Bye, LPF.

Steve

Attachments

• REDWUN.bmp
    624.1 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
With the right flat 4-Pin Red diode . . .

a 450mw 655nm handheld is a reality.

From an earlier thread I did on flat Red diodes:

I have found some manufacturers charts showing long term operation @ 600 ma for 500 hours.

Power Input = 3 Volts x 600ma = 1.8 Watts

At a reasonable efficiency of 25%, that would = 450mw of output power.

LarryDFW

Any source for those babies?

Sharp has produced millions for DVD writers.

Probably in 2009 & 2010.

This is what the bare diode looks like:
flatred.jpg

They will be epoxied into a metal heat sink.

LarryDFW

Last edited: